Re:Re: AT&T Killingworth

  • joecheck@snet.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      I don't have the exact details about what that tower was used for, but I
      can probably find out from someone who worked there. There is a cabinet in
      the back of the building that belonged to the local telco for 2-way
      communications, UHF I believe. I think that was one of the unmanned sites
      in Connecticut. I vaguely remember seeing a route map at one of the sites,
      I'll look for it in my travels.

      I work at many of the old AT&T sites, as the company I now work for leases
      tower space from ATC. Some of the buildings, such as the Durham/Haddam
      site, are quite impressive. You could open a Walmart in that
      building.... ;-) I also used to work from a company that leased space at
      the Cheshire underground facility. That was an amazing place.

      Joe

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:13:25 -0800 (PST)
      From: Paxton Heckman <packy41@...>
      Subject: Re: AT&T Killingworth

      I was out and about yesterday, and I found a tower
      that I did not find on any AT&T route maps that I have
      seen. This is in Killingworth CT (not Killingly in
      which there is one). It had 2 pairs of horns, and
      looking at the tower itself, along the supports it
      looks like there either was more horns at one time, or
      they left room for expansion as waveguide supports
      were on at least two sides of the tower, which I have
      not seen on a tower before. There was small concreate
      hardened building along it, and is now owned by
      American Tower (site 88013). Does anyone have any info
      on this tower? I grabbed a couple of pics that I will
      upload when they are developed.

      As a side note, there were still some bell equipment
      mounted on the wall, along with some call sign data
      (which I didn't have anything to right with) and some
      other coldwar era knick naks.
    • Paxton Heckman
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
        Yeah, I have been up to the Durham site, and thats
        really impressive. I would love to see the inside of
        it. Is/was there any of the orignal equipment left in
        the building when ATC took it over?

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • joecheck@snet.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
          The Durham site was kind of a hub site for parts and was manned during the
          day shift. Most of the spare parts and equipment has been removed from the
          site, but some of the big stuff is still around. The most impressive thing
          left is the two diesel generators that are still in the building. Each is
          a 550KW unit, driven by a diesel engine that was the same type used in
          train switching locomotives. That would make a combined output of over one
          megawatt of power, 3 phase! I understand that AT&T tried to sell them at
          one time, but it would be necessary to knock out the back wall to get them
          out. If you ever saw the construction of one of these hardened buildings,
          you would see why that would be quite a job.

          The building is massive, well over 10,000 square feet in size. It has
          several basement areas and a second floor. There is an electric toilet,
          water well in the basement, air filters to keep the employees alive during
          a nuclear attack, etc. A super bomb shelter if there ever was one. There
          were spools of flexible wave guide for emergency repairs and even a spare
          tower or two were stored somewhere on the East Coast.

          Joe