Warrenton Training Center Transmissions

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2001
      Anyone know,via monitoring or otherwise,if there has been increased or
      different type of comms out of the WTC transmitter sites since 9-11?

      Increased physical security at the sites?

      Is the VOA still, or back in, the intel transmitting business?
    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
        Good questions! I don't have conclusive answers, but here's what I know (or
        think I know).

        In a message dated 10/30/2001 9:59:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ozob99@... writes:

        > Anyone know,via monitoring or otherwise,if there has been increased or
        > different type of comms out of the WTC transmitter sites since 9-11?

        Recent postings on the Spooks list (devoted to "numbers station" monitoring)
        have indicated that the transmissions attributed to the Warrenton facility
        were actually on the decrease, or even ended, well before the attacks. I
        say "attributed to" because it's my understanding that conclusive HF
        direction-finding is surprisingly difficult even when one is immediately
        adjacent to the transmitter site.

        For those who aren't familiar with the Warrenton Training Center, it consists
        of four separate installations in the vicinity of Warrenton, VA. Station A
        is a wooded, campus-like site with scattered low-rise buildings, located near
        downtown Warrenton. It appears to be shut down.

        Station B, probably the largest in terms of building square footage and
        number of buildings, is atop a small mountain outside Warrenton. It
        reportedly is used for CIA and State Dept. technology training, and for the
        development and manufacture of surveillance devices. Little can be seen from
        the public road (Rt. 690, Bear Wallow Rd.). There is a tall guyed radio
        tower, which has/had microwave links to Stations C and/or D. Adjacent to
        Station B is a facility called "Brushwood", which I think is a secure
        conference center.

        Station C is located near Remington. It consists of a large, open field with
        a huge variety of HF antennas, and one or more small buildings. This is
        reputedly the origin of some of the mysterious "number" transmissions. I
        haven't been there in a couple of years, but at the time of my last visit
        Station C appeared to be unmanned, with the gate protected by a CCTV camera.

        Station D is near Brandy Station. Like C, it is an open field with a lot of
        HF antennas. It has a larger building than C, and a couple of "golf-ball"
        radomes for satcom dishes. Various procurements issued by the State Dept.'s
        Diplomatic Telecommunications Service identify Station D as the U.S. terminal
        for overseas leased circuits.

        The Warrenton sites are interconnected by a dedicated fiber-optic network
        provided by Lightwave Spectrum, Inc., which seems to be a popular carrier for
        the intelligence community. Another LSI cable connects station D with a
        satellite earth station located in a wooded area at the north end of the
        Quantico USMC base. The earth station used to belong to Overseas
        Telecommunications, Inc.; now I think it's Esatel.

        > Increased physical security at the sites?

        I don't have any recent reports, but as of a year or two ago, patrols had
        begun on the public roads surrounding Stations C and D. I assume those are
        still taking place. Also, I heard that signs had been posted around C and D
        prohibiting photography of these "tourist attractions".

        > Is the VOA still, or back in, the intel transmitting business?

        That's something I wasn't aware of at all, though it makes a lot of sense for
        them to be doing it.

        Albert
      • ozob99@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
          > Good questions! I don't have conclusive answers, but here's what I
          know (or
          > think I know).
          >
          > In a message dated 10/30/2001 9:59:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > ozob99@y... writes:
          >
          > > Anyone know,via monitoring or otherwise,if there has been
          increased or
          > > different type of comms out of the WTC transmitter sites since
          9-11?

          > Recent postings on the Spooks list (devoted to "numbers station"
          monitoring)
          > have indicated that the transmissions attributed to the Warrenton
          facility
          > were actually on the decrease, or even ended, well before the
          attacks. I
          > say "attributed to" because it's my understanding that conclusive HF
          > direction-finding is surprisingly difficult even when one is
          immediately
          > adjacent to the transmitter site.

          OK, thanks;they may be using satellite now for primary comms.

> [...]
          > the intelligence community. Another LSI cable connects station D
          with a
          > satellite earth station located in a wooded area at the north end of
          the
          > Quantico USMC base. The earth station used to belong to Overseas
          > Telecommunications, Inc.; now I think it's Esatel.
          >
          > > Increased physical security at the sites?
          > >
          > I don't have any recent reports, but as of a year or two ago,
          patrols had
          > begun on the public roads surrounding Stations C and D. I assume
          those are
          > still taking place. Also, I heard that signs had been posted around
          C and D
          > prohibiting photography of these "tourist attractions".
          >
          > > Is the VOA still, or back in, the intel transmitting business?
          >
          > That's something I wasn't aware of at all, though it makes a lot of

          Somewhere I read that CIA and/or State Dept finally admitted that the
          Greenville,NC location at least had been used in the past for
          intel/diplomatic traffic.I wonder if it was on seperate frequencies or
          subcarrier on the VOA channels?...or perhaps code words/messages in
          the VOA traffic?