Re: The L3 Coaxial System

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2012
      The text on page 783 describes the Fig 1 map as "...The present day network of L1 coaxial systems..."

      My guess is that it shows the state of L1 deployment at or before 31 March 1953 - when the paper was submitted to the editor for publication...

      In that case New York - New Haven could very well have already been planned and committed as an L1 route with an expected future L3 upgrade. Perhaps the immediate circuit capacity could be met with available L1 hardware as opposed to future growth to be met with L3 upgrade...

      Nor does the map or the text give any hint of the order of priority for L1 routes to be upgraded to L3...

      The decision of when to discontinue production and installation of an older technology in favor of newly developed technology is not always straight forward...

      A good case in point is the five-hop Buffalo to Syracuse TD-2 route. Of the four intermediate repeater stations, only Vernal was built as a Type-3A concrete Radio-Relay tower - the other three, Pinnacle Hill, Phelps, and Van Buren were all Type-A steel towers. Someone must have made the decision to discontinue concrete tower construction after Vernal was committed to contract but with enough time to allow the other three sites to be built with steel. I'm thinking that may have been a rather narrow decision window...

      - waw -