Calumet AFS GATR Site

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2012
      These GATR towers/antennas are quite different than many other GATR sites; anyone know why?

      http://www.radomes.org/museum/photos/recent/CalumetAFS052004GATRBldgandTowers.jpg

      more photos in this gallery:

      http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/CalumetAFSMI.html
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 24, 2012
        My guess is that the site continued in-use as an FAA/JSS Remote
        Communications Outlet
        after the USAF moved-out, and thus was modernized (steel towers) by the
        FAA -- perhaps once used as
        an RCO for more than one Air Route Traffic Control Center and a Flight
        Service Section,
        as it seems to have a couple more towers than most FAA RCOs/NDAG sites
        today.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2012
          probably right, looking further, FAA took over in 1988 as JSS site.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tim <polohat@...> wrote:

          > My guess is that the site continued in-use as an FAA/JSS Remote
          > Communications Outlet
          > after the USAF moved-out, and thus was modernized (steel towers) by the
          > FAA -- perhaps once used as
          > an RCO for more than one Air Route Traffic Control Center and a Flight
          > Service Section,
          > as it seems to have a couple more towers than most FAA RCOs/NDAG sites
          > today.
          >
          > Tim
          >
          > On 4/24/2012 5:38 PM, OZOB99 wrote:
          > >
          > > These GATR towers/antennas are quite different than many other GATR
          > > sites; anyone know why?
          > >
          > > http://www.radomes.org/museum/photos/recent/CalumetAFS052004GATRBldgandTowers.jpg
          > >
          > > more photos in this gallery:
          > >
          > > http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/CalumetAFSMI.html

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2012
            Interesting question! One for our members in the usaf radar vets Yahoo group. I've been there numerous times, and never thought to ask. Most of the GATR sites I've been to used long utility poles rather than self supporting steel towers. The wooden utility poles supported the various vertical ships. multi-element air to ground antennae, etc. I'm wondering if the small stubs atop each tower might have been the posts to which various antennae were strapped.

            Not having been in ground radio, I don't have the answer, but living part time just four miles from the Calumet site, I'll get the answer from someone in the know.

            Tom Scanlan