WHCA Audit Report

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5 11:29 AM
      http://www.dodig.mil/audit/reports/fy96/96-033.pdf

      See Appx M & O for a little detail on some of the circuits in the audit.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6 6:55 PM
        One of the "Circuits and equipment items terminated during the audit"
        (Appendix M, PDF p. 89) was a voice circuit between the LBJ Ranch and
        Austin, TX. I guess by 1995 they were pretty sure Lyndon (and his beloved
        Call Director) wouldn't be needing it anymore! At $829 per month, must have
        been one heck of a circuit.

        Also, Appendix O (p. 92) cites a voice circuit between Camp David and
        Hagerstown, MD. I wonder if that was the Hagerstown 2 Project Office.

        Albert

        See Appx M & O for a little detail on some of the circuits in the audit.

      • jhhaynes@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7 8:23 AM
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

          > One of the "Circuits and equipment items terminated during the audit"
          > (Appendix M, PDF p. 89) was a voice circuit between the LBJ Ranch and
          > Austin, TX. I guess by 1995 they were pretty sure Lyndon (and his beloved
          > Call Director) wouldn't be needing it anymore! At $829 per month, must have
          > been one heck of a circuit.

          I had an uncle who lived in Austin. He had an early tip-off that
          LBJ would not run for re-election. A friend of his who worked for
          the phone company told him about a very large order for communication
          support to the LBJ Ranch that had been cancelled.
        • Kris Kirby
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 13 2:20 PM
            On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Albert LaFrance wrote:
            > One of the "Circuits and equipment items terminated during the audit"
            > (Appendix M, PDF p. 89) was a voice circuit between the LBJ Ranch and
            > Austin, TX. I guess by 1995 they were pretty sure Lyndon (and his
            > beloved Call Director) wouldn't be needing it anymore! At $829 per
            > month, must have been one heck of a circuit.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Johnson

            Lady Bird didn't die until 2007, so they must have found a cheaper way
            to provision that circuit. As a presidential spouse, she would have been
            entitled to Secret Service Protection until her death. Now that's
            changed post-Clinton (post-Bush?). Since Lyndon B. died in 1973, that
            would have normally been the marker of when circuits were turned off.

            --
            Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
            Disinformation Analyst
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
              Revisiting this report I found there were 13 dedicated phone lines connecting the White House network to the residences of the next 13 people in the line of Presidential succession, which was questioned as necessary.

              Appendix C P51
            • Thomas Moran
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
                Did this report list the specific customers for the 13 dedicated phone lines, other than presidential succession? What was the time frame on this report?

                TM

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
                  No names, but the report is mid 1990's, so you could look up the incumbents at that time.

                  I'm assuming this arrangement had existed for many years,thus a Cold War scenario; it may exist today despite wireless connectivity.
                • John Scoggin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
                    If I were doing the COOP planning, I would definitely have leased lines
                    to the incumbents. Can you imagine the telephonic chaos that results
                    from the death of a president? Just like after the earthquake in DC a
                    few years ago, delayed dial tone (both wired and wireless) makes urgent
                    calls difficult.

                    On the other hand, during the aftermath of the quake, our GETS cards
                    worked perfectly.

                    john

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
                      On 8/9/14 4:07 PM, John Scoggin aat3bf@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

                      > Can you imagine the telephonic chaos that results from the death of a
                      > president? Just like after the earthquake in DC a few years ago,
                      > delayed dial tone (both wired and wireless) makes urgent calls
                      > difficult.

                      Did not FTS come into being when JFK was unable to get a dial tone during
                      the Cuban Missile Crisis?
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 9, 2014
                        It may have speeded up implementation at that point but FTS planning began in 1960-61 according to GSA milestones.