Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: HAM Technicians Class + General.

  • Andrew Fornadel jr
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hey Dex,

      Did you guys get those super Satcom radios, that we had in the Eastern Area? I remember installing them
      on the plywood and mounting them behind the seat in our trucks. They had powersupplys, converters for our
       laptops so that we could  use that wonderful WMS!     I was able to talk to techs in Montana and Cheyenne, Wy.
      while being in the wilds of Pa.  I think they are probably still at Lillyville, where I stacked them after removing them
      from the vehicles. One of the last jobs I did before retiring. I just though I would throw that in.

      Andy...Retired Eastern Area OSWF

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
        It's great to see you guys getting back into ham radio.

        Besides our home station we spend most weekends operating from the
        WW2 Submarine USS COD SS-224, which is docked here in Cleveland, OH.

        I have a number of COD videos posted on Youtube.com including a three
        part, 25-minute tour of the boat.

        http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ka8vit+cod

        If you're ever in the Cleveland area and would like a special tour or to
        operate from the boat, please feel free to contact me.

        73 - Bill KA8VIT

        > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
        > From: roger.hendrixson@...
        > Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:10:43 +0000
        > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: HAM Technicians Class + General.
        >
        > Dex,
        >
        > My grandfather was a long time HAM. (W2POB). I grew up testing vacuum tubes at Lafeyette Electronics, listening and copying CW while he sent his code. We would talk to the Antartica Station every Saturday at 1300, and I still remember being inpressed with the capabilities of his Heathkits. I helped him build all of the radios in his shack, helped build the antenna tower, and was the only one who could crank it up. It was about 65 feet without the antenna. Even his TV antenna had a rotor on it.
        >
        > In 1994 I passed my Technicians+ exam. (N2XML). I never renewed it. Now my children are grown and I want to get involved with RACES, ARES and the County CERT. Going down with the township RACES Coordinator on Monday to get on the County EMR net. First time for me so still very excited.
        >
        > Taking the exams on April 9th.
        >
        > Yeeeee-Haaaaah!
        >
        > ROGER~
        >

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <dexter.mc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Boardwalk One wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Listening to all of you and following the messages has inspired me to
        > > > step up and take my Technician's Class and General Class Ham radio exams.
        > > >
        > > > If it was not for this group, I would have never had the motivation to
        > > > do get it done. So in many ways, THANK YOU.
        > >
        > > Why would reading post form old telephone men inspire to get a ham licenses?
        > > I'm please to see your interest, just curious.
        > >
        > > Unlike a lot of hobbies it's impossible for one to become accomplished all
        > > facets of ham radio. When I received my licenses 49 years ago that was my goal.
        > > It didn't take long to realize this would require more than one lifetime. Now
        > > with the aid of computer technology the avenues of ham radio one can explore has
        > > grown exponentially. Occasionally I see someone jump into the hobby, dump a lot
        > > of money into it and burn out quickly. But those are typically the one who are
        > > out to get recognized for what they do not just for the learning experience.
        > > Since you are obviously interested in technology you must be in it to learn.
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Dex, W4DEX ex WA4ZIA, WN4RUZ, DL5IN and RVN MARS AB8AD
        > >
        > > Ham radio may have saved my life! It kept me out of the jungles of VietNam.

      • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
          Good luck to the original poster on his upcoming ham radio exams.

          Ham radio is a great hobby, which can be enjoyed with simple equipment all the way up to very expensive stuff. I was first licensed in 1993, twenty years after I first became interested and learned Morse Code while in Boy Scouts. My scoutmaster at the time was an active ham. Unfortunately my dad talked me out of it then, and it wasn't until I was in my thirties that I got back to it. I took my first exam, the Novice exam, in the dining room of a local ham, one of the very last to be able to do it that way, as the changed rules in that year forced everyone to go to a VE session just a few days later. This was back when CW was still required, and today remains my primary mode of operating along with SSB. KB9IUA was my originally assigned call sign, which I replaced in 1999 using the vanity system, dropping the B to become K9IUA. Upgraded to General in 1995 and Amateur Extra in 1998, both when CW was still required. I am by no means an electronics expert, but my limited background augmented by what I know through ham radio certainly does help, especially in even having a partial clue to what some of you are talking about. (The modern kid with only computer background is going to be totally lost.)

          I daily lament the decline of shortwave usage by both the international broadcasters and to a major extent by the military. I do expect the day will come when they/we will lament not having that capability in their active expertise, although I hope enough sites will still be in mothball status and can be resurrected when we do want it around again.

          Kevin Anderson, K9IUA, Dubuque, Iowa
        • Boardwalk One
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
            Ever wonder what the hi-tech geek kids will do when confronted with disaster and without power? No cumputer, no I-phone, no texting. I guess it will be just us Hams, running on battery, generator and solar.

          • Radioman390@cs.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
              I daily lament the decline of shortwave usage by both the international broadcasters and to a major extent by the military. I do expect the day will come when they/we will lament not having that capability in their active expertise, although I hope enough sites will still be in mothball status and can be resurrected when we do want it around again.

              ====================================
              Kevin, I agree that HF is the ultimate backup. On a visit to ARINC maybe 20 years ago, to discuss satellite and air-ground systems, I was heartened to hear engineers tell us that they would "never" give up HF operations. For the reasons cited. ARINC provides air-ground coimmunications, both voice and data, to aircraft, and the company is owned by the seven biggest US airlines

            • brianatt63
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 3, 2012
                "I think they are probably still at Lillyville, where I stacked them after removing them from the vehicles. One of the last jobs I did before retiring. I just though I would throw that in."

                Andy,

                If you tell me where you put them and what they look like, I'll see if they're still there.
              • Boardwalk One
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 16, 2012
                  TOM,

                  I would love to hear how you showed up for your HAM exam, maxed Technician through Extra. We know you could do this in your sleep.

                  Take the Leap! Just Do It !!

                  Come back and tell us all about it...
                  sounds like a fun time for you..

                  Roger~

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dex-
                  > What a great testimony! I have danced with amateur radio almost all my adult life. I became so interested with TV transmission as a teenager that I devoted most of my life to that passion. Then followed the fascination with the AT&T microwave system, because that was how we usually got our network feeds. From almost every kind of TV transmitter, VHF and UHF, and the myriad of antennae, especially the UHF kind, that was where my attention went. Now at 71...8 weeks to the Big 72, I still 'dance' with the idea of becoming a 'ham'. The need for code is no longer there, and I guess that is not really a good thing, as I had a lot of respect and admiration of those I ran into along the way who could really fly in this mode, but one less thing to learn!
                  >

                  > I still, to this day, 'dance' with the fascination of becoming a ham. I should take the leap. Might keep me out of trouble, eh?
                  >

                  > Tom S (TV Guy)

                • s82917
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 16, 2012
                    I got my ham ticket when I was in my 30's and had already worked for years as an EE, I went to the Gray's Lake hamfest and took the written tests for Novice thru Extra in one morning and passed them all. The best code I could do was 13 wpm, so I ended up with an Advanced license, KF9GJ.

                    Terry

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 16, 2012
                      Hi-

                      Monitoring 2m and 440 on my new Yeasu-7900 with the magmount on the cookie sheet but looks like the top of the file cabinet will work better. Loads of fun, but monitoring traffic on the repeaters. It's a learn as I go technique. Looking to take all 3 ARRL exams in about two weeks.

                      Looking at Yeasu 897 or ICOM 7000. Picked up a COBRA 148GTL just for the fun of it. Got the HAM-Bug. Bigtime.............

                      Shopping for J pole parts and slinkies this afternoon, my first home-built antennas. It should be illiegal to have this much fun.

                      R~

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s82917" <s82917@...> wrote:

                      > I got my ham ticket when I was in my 30's and had already worked for years as an EE, I went to the Gray's Lake hamfest and took the written tests for Novice thru Extra in one morning and passed them all. The best code I could do was 13 wpm, so I ended up with an Advanced license, KF9GJ.
                      >
                      > Terry
                      >

                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Boardwalk One" <roger.hendrixson@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > TOM,
                      > >
                      > > I would love to hear how you showed up for your HAM exam, maxed Technician through Extra. We know you could do this in your sleep.
                      > >
                      > > Take the Leap! Just Do It !!
                      > >
                      > > Come back and tell us all about it...
                      > > sounds like a fun time for you..
                      > >
                      > > Roger~
                      > >

                      > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Dex-
                      > > > What a great testimony! I have danced with amateur radio almost all my adult life. I became so interested with TV transmission as a teenager that I devoted most of my life to that passion. Then followed the fascination with the AT&T microwave system, because that was how we usually got our network feeds. From almost every kind of TV transmitter, VHF and UHF, and the myriad of antennae, especially the UHF kind, that was where my attention went. Now at 71...8 weeks to the Big 72, I still 'dance' with the idea of becoming a 'ham'. The need for code is no longer there, and I guess that is not really a good thing, as I had a lot of respect and admiration of those I ran into along the way who could really fly in this mode, but one less thing to learn!
                      > > >

                      > > > I still, to this day, 'dance' with the fascination of becoming a ham. I should take the leap. Might keep me out of trouble, eh?
                      > > >

                      > > > Tom S (TV Guy)

                    • Tom Scanlan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 16, 2012
                        Roger-

                        I don't know about the 'doing it in my sleep' thing, but I'm heading in that direction! I was just planning out a few activities for this summer yesterday, and getting the Ham License is on the top of the list!!

                        Thanks for the good thoughts, my friend. Will definitely report back!

                        Best-

                        Tom S

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 17, 2012
                          Opinions / input needed-please.....

                          I'd like to get you opinions on the following HAM HF radios.
                          I am looking at the HF portables because they appear to be in my price range and not too many features, bells, buzzers, whistles, alarms etc.......

                          The IC-706 line has been discontinued, replaced by the IC-718.

                          This unit is very nice and in the price range for my first HF.
                          http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003490

                          Unfortunately, is does not have FM so I am thinking an Alinco DX-SR8T. This unit does have FM, AM, SSB, CW, HF etc.
                          http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010649

                          Last, but the better of all is the Yeasu 897D. Although considerable $ more than the others.
                          http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007099

                          Add in the Pwr supply, antenna and perhapse a tuner still about $1000 to $1200. I am not cheap by any means but not Donald Trump either.

                          I need to think...Why do I need FM capability ??

                          Your comments will be completely appreciated....

                          Thanks-----

                          73
                          Roger~

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s82917" <s82917@...> wrote:

                          > I got my ham ticket when I was in my 30's and had already worked for years as an EE, I went to the Gray's Lake hamfest and took the written tests for Novice thru Extra in one morning and passed them all. The best code I could do was 13 wpm, so I ended up with an Advanced license, KF9GJ.
                          >
                          > Terry
                          >

                          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Boardwalk One" <roger.hendrixson@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > TOM,
                          > >
                          > > I would love to hear how you showed up for your HAM exam, maxed Technician through Extra. We know you could do this in your sleep.
                          > >
                          > > Take the Leap! Just Do It !!
                          > >
                          > > Come back and tell us all about it...
                          > > sounds like a fun time for you..
                          > >
                          > > Roger~
                          > >

                          > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Dex-
                          > > > What a great testimony! I have danced with amateur radio almost all my adult life. I became so interested with TV transmission as a teenager that I devoted most of my life to that passion. Then followed the fascination with the AT&T microwave system, because that was how we usually got our network feeds. From almost every kind of TV transmitter, VHF and UHF, and the myriad of antennae, especially the UHF kind, that was where my attention went. Now at 71...8 weeks to the Big 72, I still 'dance' with the idea of becoming a 'ham'. The need for code is no longer there, and I guess that is not really a good thing, as I had a lot of respect and admiration of those I ran into along the way who could really fly in this mode, but one less thing to learn!
                          > > >

                          > > > I still, to this day, 'dance' with the fascination of becoming a ham. I should take the leap. Might keep me out of trouble, eh?
                          > > >

                          > > > Tom S (TV Guy)

                        • blitz716
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 17, 2012
                            In the same price range is the Yaesu FT-450, I have one and its a VERY
                            good radio. I kicked myself for not buying it earlier. It has FM as
                            well, I use it on the local 10m repeaters.

                          • Kris Kirby
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 17, 2012
                              On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Boardwalk One wrote:
                              > Shopping for J pole parts and slinkies this afternoon, my first
                              > home-built antennas. It should be illiegal to have this much fun.

                              Just wait until you find out about Covenants, Conditions, and
                              Restrictions... It will feel that way.

                              --
                              Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
                              Disinformation Analyst
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 18, 2012
                                which reminds me see folowing msg.

                                ZCZC AG07
                                QST de W1AW
                                ARRL Bulletin 7 ARLB007
                                From ARRL Headquarters
                                Newington CT April 5, 2012
                                To all radio amateurs

                                SB QST ARL ARLB007
                                ARLB007 FCC Seeks Public Comments on Emergency Communications by
                                Amateur Radio and Impediments to Amateur Radio Communications

                                assess Amateur Radio's role in emergency and disaster communications
                                and the impact of private land use regulations on the amateur
                                community's ability to provide such communications, the FCC issued
                                DA 12-523 soliciting comments from the public. The period for public
                                comment runs until May 17, 2012.

                                "As part of the study contained in Public Law No. 112-96, the
                                Commission has opened a 45 day period for comments to be filed on
                                the issue," said ARRL Regulatory Information Manager Dan Henderson,
                                N1ND. "Because of the short deadline for the study to be completed
                                and presented to Congress -- before the end of August -- the ARRL
                                and the amateur community must quickly mobilize their response."

                                The FCC Public Notice focuses on two specific areas for comments.
                                The first is the role that Amateur Radio has played and continues to
                                play to support emergency and disaster relief organizations, such as
                                FEMA and local/state emergency management agencies. The second is to
                                determine impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio communications. This
                                would include the impact that private land-use regulations -- such
                                as deed restrictions and homeowner association covenants -- have on
                                the ability of licensed amateurs to fully participate in providing
                                support communications to the served agencies.

                                "This study is not about zoning ordinances or regulations adopted by
                                the local or state governments," Henderson explained. "Amateurs
                                already have the limited protection of PRB-1 to assist them with
                                those situations. The areas of concern here are the limitations that
                                are placed on a property when it is purchased, either as part of the
                                deed of sale or by restrictions imposed by the
                                neighborhood/homeowner's association. Those restrictions --
                                sometimes referred to as CC&Rs -- are not currently covered by the
                                FCC's PRB-1 decision from 1985."

                                To allow the ARRL to quickly collect and collate relevant
                                information from the amateur community to help support the filing it
                                will make with the FCC on this issue, a website has been setup. The
                                site -- www.arrl.org/ccr-study-information -- provides details about
                                what kind of information is needed by the ARRL.

                                Also on the site, you will find links to two online data collection
                                forms. The first form allows you to provide information about
                                specific emergency communications in which Amateur Radio has played
                                a role since January 2000. The second form asks for specific
                                information on the CC&Rs/deed restrictions that control your
                                property. It also asks you to provide information on how those
                                restrictions have impacted your ability to fully support emergency
                                communications.

                                "Whether you are an ARRL member or not, your information and
                                situation are important to helping us make the case for all
                                amateurs," Henderson said. "Whether your support communications are
                                with ARES, RACES, SKYWARN, CERT or other emergency and disaster
                                groups, your voice should be heard. If you cannot operate
                                effectively from home during an emergency because CC&Rs prohibit
                                adequate antennas on your property, that is important to document
                                and quantify. This issue affects all of Amateur Radio, not just ARRL
                                members."

                                Henderson said that due to the short timeframe that the FCC has
                                allotted for public comment, time is of the essence. In order to
                                allow the ARRL to develop its comments, the ARRL asks that all
                                information sent by the amateur community be received at the ARRL no
                                later than April 25, 2012: "We realize this is a very short
                                turnaround asking for your response, but this is based on the time
                                provided by the Commission for the comment window."

                                It is important that when you provide specifics of your CC&R, you
                                also provide the ARRL with a copy of its actual wording. If you have
                                the CC&R in a digital format (or you can scan the document into a
                                file), it can either be uploaded through the website above or it can
                                be sent via an e-mail to CCRinfo@... . If you do not have an
                                electronic format, a hard copy may be sent via US mail to: CCR Study
                                Information, ARRL, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111.

                                "We need factual, specific details," Henderson said. "The more
                                accurate information we have -- including copies of the CC&R
                                language -- the stronger case we can make. Having copies of the
                                exact CC&Rs is important. It allows us to demonstrate the wide
                                variation of restrictions. Including the specific text is as
                                important as any other piece of information you provide."

                                If you have questions about what is being requested, you may contact
                                the ARRL Regulatory Information Office via e-mail at
                                reginfo@.... "Again, time is of the essence in this matter,"
                                Henderson said. "This is the best opportunity that amateurs have had
                                to address the impact of overly burdensome private land use
                                restrictions. If Amateur Radio is to succeed in this effort, it is
                                going to take all of us working together."
                                NNNN
                                /EX

                                Allen Sklar, W7AS
                                Tempe Arizona