Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: AT&T Jax Beach

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 16, 2001
      Unnamed Administration sources reported that CLDWARHIST@... said:

      > Just curious but were the lines to Cuba ever taken out of operation, or is it

      From Miami, Cuba [where I used to live], you could call the
      southern, traditional parts via a 700 #. Or so it was when I was
      there 10 years ago.

      Andrew took out the microwave to the Troposcatter at Florida City;
      and BellSouth applied LARGE political pressure to get the tropo
      abandoned [it was hurting their profitable 800 Mhz AMPS service]
      and things switched to a fiber. Don Kimberlin's the expert on
      same.

    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 16, 2001
        Unnamed Administration sources reported that dsandow@... said:

        > 809 consisted of all the islands in the Caribbean from Aruba to
        > Jamaica (EXCEPT Cuba), and the Bahamas (marginally Caribbean) and
        > Bermuda (mid-ocean). Cuba was excluded because it was manual only -
        > they didn't have any $$ to buy dial switches (and also cold-war
        > politics).

        Glad you mentioned the 2nd; it's the only one that matters.

        Note 809 only handled HALF of Hispanoiola. And did NOT
        handle all places; like Martinique.

        > Belize (British Honduras) was not in the 809 area code for 2 reasons.
        > 1. It is on the 'mainland' of Central America, so it is defined by the
        > CCITT as being is World Zone 2 - hence international from the USA.
        > Only WZ1 places are in the NADP. 2. There were no cable/satellite
        > circuits to Belize until after 1974. The only service until then was
        > short wave (HF) radio - hence manual operators, no dial, and no area
        > code.

        I seem to recall there was ONE place in C.A. that was part of
        {correct} 809. Yes, it was an exception.

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 16, 2001
          Unnamed Administration sources reported that Mark Foster said:

          > See the notes at the bottom of: http://users.shore.net/~mfoster/Florida_City.htm

          As I recall, it was the feed from downtown to Florida City that
          Andrew did in...

        • ozob99@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 16, 2001
            --- In coldwarcomms@y..., kb9yku <kb9yku@h...> wrote:
            > At 12:58 PM 10/16/01 -0400, you wrote:
            > ><<Cuba was excluded because it was manual only -
            > >they didn't have any $$ to buy dial switches (and also cold-war
            > >politics). The manual circuits were handled by operators at Miami
            and
            > >NY through a very old (late '30s?) cable from Key West.>>

            The Key West-Havana cable(rubber & gutta-percha) dates from 1921 and
            the terminal repeater in the Key West CO was a modified "Reading"
            type(so named from it's initial use in Reading,Pa); I saw them in 1957
            while visiting the office,each mounted on a panel about 2-3 feet
            square,using the WeCo 100 series "tennis ball" tubes.

            I was also in NAS Guantanimo Bay in 1958 and there were 3 LD circuits
            out of the base CO on open wire Lynch carrier(equivelent to WeCo C
            cxr).It took about 20-30 minutes to get a manual call in to the
            US,with a 5 minute limit.

          • ozob99@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 16, 2001
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., ozob99@y... wrote:
              > --- In coldwarcomms@y..., kb9yku <kb9yku@h...> wrote:
              > > At 12:58 PM 10/16/01 -0400, you wrote:
              > > ><<Cuba was excluded because it was manual only -
              > > >they didn't have any $$ to buy dial switches (and also cold-war
              > > >politics). The manual circuits were handled by operators at
              Miami
              > and
              > > >NY through a very old (late '30s?) cable from Key West.>>
              >

              > The Key West-Havana cable(rubber & gutta-percha) dates from 1921 and
              > the terminal repeater in the Key West CO was a modified "Reading"
              > type(so named from it's initial use in Reading,Pa); I saw them in
              1957
              > while visiting the office,each mounted on a panel about 2-3 feet
              > square,using the WeCo 100 series "tennis ball" tubes.
              >
              > I was also in NAS Guantanimo Bay in 1958 and there were 3 LD
              circuits
              > out of the base CO on open wire Lynch carrier(equivelent to WeCo C
              > cxr).It took about 20-30 minutes to get a manual call in to the
              > US,with a 5 minute limit.

              I forgot to list these URL's with info/history on submarine cables:

              http://www.atlantic-cable.com/

              http://www.iscpc.org/

            • dsandow@garden.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                --- In coldwarcomms@y..., ozob99@y... wrote:
                > --- In coldwarcomms@y..., ozob99@y... wrote:
                > > --- In coldwarcomms@y..., kb9yku <kb9yku@h...> wrote:
                > Miami
                > > and
                > >

                > > The Key West-Havana cable(rubber & gutta-percha) dates from 1921

                Thanks for the correction

                > > I was also in NAS Guantanimo Bay in 1958 and there were 3 LD
                > circuits
                > > out of the base CO on open wire Lynch carrier(equivelent to WeCo C
                > > cxr).It took about 20-30 minutes to get a manual call in to the
                > > US,with a 5 minute limit.

                As late as 1972 (and possibly later), Gitmo was served (commercial)
                via HF radio. There may also be USN cables before or since that date,
                but ATT did not use them for commercial traffic. Dunno.

                http://www.iscpc.org/cabledb/caribbean.htm
              • hooligan@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                  In a message dated 10/18/2001 9:51:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dsandow@... writes:

                  As late as 1972 (and possibly later), Gitmo was served (commercial)
                  via HF radio. There may also be USN cables before or since that date,
                  but ATT did not use them for commercial traffic. Dunno.

                      The HF links continued on until the early 1980s -- perhaps 1984 or so at the latest.

                    Tuning that in was a good source of amusement for me as I was in high school.  Most of the calls were from the Marines at Gitmo, back to family members.   It was kinda funny to hear the way some of the young Marines would 'compartmentalize' things -- they'd tell their mom that everything was great & they were doing well, they'd complain to their dad about how being "trapped" at Gitmo was kinda boring and that they wanted to get out of the Corps, they'd tell their brother or best friends about sexual conquests (or lack thereof), and then of course they'd tell their girlfriends how much they missed them, and were totally devoted to them, etc.   All in the space of about half an hour.     Very enlightening regarding the ways of the world...

                    TIm

                • Ralf
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                    hooligan@... wrote:

                    > dsandow@... writes:
                    >
                    > As late as 1972 (and possibly later), Gitmo was served (commercial)
                    > via HF radio. There may also be USN cables before or since that date,
                    > but ATT did not use them for commercial traffic. Dunno.
                    >
                    > The HF links continued on until the early 1980s -- perhaps 1984 or
                    > so at the latest.

                    Hello,

                    the HF R/T link between AAC&R Guantanamo and AT&T NY has been last
                    heard 20 years ago -- I have no reports seen after 1981.
                    Common frequencies were 10222, 11130, 13750, 13765 kHz for Guantanamo
                    (callsign NAW..) and 13612 14540 for New York, using a system of 4x
                    voice channels (4x3 = 12 kHz width) per frequency.
                    The GTMO's transmitters were 10 kW into LP antennae, and a verification
                    card received back in 1976 was signed by Gerhard Seck (KG4FI) on behalf
                    of "ITT All American Cables and Radio, Inc.".

                    73!
                  • khoehn@ismi.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                      I made a point of visiting the cable head when I was in Key West a few
                      years ago.

                      You can look through a small hold into a small building (about 5' square)
                      and see the cable's remnants within. It's located next to a vase-shaped
                      marker announcing the location as the most southernmost point in the US.

                      KWH

                    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                        Cool! Are there any signs on the building, or cable markers in the area?

                        Albert

                      • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 18, 2001
                          Thanks for the web references; those are very informative sites. I had no
                          idea that so much information was available on the topic!

                          Here's another which might be of interest - a history of telecommunications
                          in Cuba:

                          http://www.vii.org/papers/cuba.htm

                          Albert

                        • ozob99@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 19, 2001
                            --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
                            > Thanks for the web references; those are very informative sites. I
                            had no
                            > idea that so much information was available on the topic!
                            >
                            > Here's another which might be of interest - a history of
                            telecommunications
                            > in Cuba:
                            >
                            > http://www.vii.org/papers/cuba.htm
                            >
                            > Albert

                            I'm surprised the 1921 cable to Key West is'nt mentioned in the
                            paper;it was significant in it's day.

                            > In a message dated 10/16/2001 10:42:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            > ozob99@y... writes:
                            >
                            > > I forgot to list these URL's with info/history on submarine
                            cables:

                            > > http://www.atlantic-cable.com/
                            > >
                            > > http://www.iscpc.org/
                          • Ken Hoehn
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 19, 2001
                              I don't recall any cable markers, but I think I recall a sign on the door; poor
                              shape.

                              The best way to find it is to get directions to that 'most southern place in the
                              US' marker. It's on the tourist maps. The building is near the road, and it's
                              about 100 yards or so to the water, if I recall correctly.

                              KWH