Re: [coldwarcomms] microwave passive repearter question

  • Mr. K. Rudolph
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
      Plain old metal, usually aluminum due to weight, look up Microflector on the
      web, they are located in Oregon. A real pain in the ass to install.

      Kurt

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
        A passive repeater could be a "billboard" type or two dishes back-to-back.
        The primary one is a billboard type and you will see these on mountain tops
        very close to one of the end points on the microwave path. There are many
        of these in Pennsylvania and are used to redirect a microwave path around a
        close in path blocker. There are a few double passive billboards in use
        that I am aware of and are two billboards within feet of one another if the
        passive is in between the two end points. A company (Microflect) in
        Washington state designs and manufactures many in use.

        Regards
        Terry Feathers
        tfeathers@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
          Yes, the "billboard" type of passive repeater is merely a flat metal surface
          which acts much like a mirror. In order to properIy reflect the microwave
          beam, it must be flat to within some fraction of a wavelength; the actual
          tolerance I've seen mentioned for use at telco frequencies is 1/8 inch.

          My Thurmont, MD passive repeater page includes a magazine article describing
          the technology, and links to a manufacturer's web site:

          http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Thurmont_repeater/index.html

          Albert

          In a message dated 10/10/2001 5:27:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          mpotter@... writes:

          > What is a microwave passive repeater made of just metal? Is there more to
          > it than that?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Matt

        • Matthew R. Potter

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
              Terry,

              Thanks for the info. I was wondering, were the passive repeaters in PA on
              telco routes? Long Lines or Bell of PA?

              Albert
            • Terry Feathers
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001

                I am going from memory on this but the only AT&T passive is at Pottsville,
                PA taking traffic to Harrisburg, PA. It was a Bell of Pennsylvania service
                that transitioned to AT&T during divestiture. That is the double passive
                billboard I was talking about yesterday.

                The other AT&T billboard I am aware of was at Bluefield, WV. It took
                Bluefield (GTE) traffic to Beckley, WV. It was an in air meet between GTE
                and Bell of WV but transitioned to AT&T during divesture. AT&T never
                authorized billboards for long haul service. AT&T engineered radio for long
                haul service (1800 mile average for microwave systems). The local Bell's
                usually designed their radio for short haul ( 250 mile average for their
                microwave systems). Most of their systems were baseband systems and usually
                AT&T systems were IF systems. Much less noise introduced in IF systems back
                in the analog days before regens for digital.

                I will try and remember places where AT&T had billboards and let you know
                later.

                Regards
                Terry Feathers
                ComSpec Corporation
                Phone: 336-370-1456
                Fax: 336-370-4116
                Thanks for the info. I was wondering, were the passive repeaters in PA on
                telco routes? Long Lines or Bell of PA?

              • Ken Hoehn
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
                  Good story, Albert. You are always amazing me.

                  I know Ray Thrower; quite a guy. I've not spoken with him in some time, though.

                  Ken

                  albertjlafrance@... wrote:

                  > Yes, the "billboard" type of passive repeater is merely a flat metal surface
                  > which acts much like a mirror. In order to properIy reflect the microwave
                  > beam, it must be flat to within some fraction of a wavelength; the actual
                  > tolerance I've seen mentioned for use at telco frequencies is 1/8 inch.
                  >
                  > My Thurmont, MD passive repeater page includes a magazine article describing
                  > the technology, and links to a manufacturer's web site:
                  >
                  > http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Thurmont_repeater/index.html
                  >
                  > Albert
                  >
                  > In a message dated 10/10/2001 5:27:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > mpotter@... writes:
                  >
                  > > What is a microwave passive repeater made of just metal? Is there more to
                  > > it than that?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Matt

                  Ken Hoehn K8KWH

                  Phone: 734-878-8000 Facsimile: 734-878-7800

                  Email: ken@...
                • hritz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
                    Sirs:

                    If one is traveling on I-79 near Pittsburgh, there are some very obvious
                    passive microwave reflectors on the hill near the Heidleburg/Kirwan Heights
                    exit (16?). This system is used by Allegheny Energy to get their microwave
                    telemetry signal for power distribution control out from a valley power
                    substation. Of course this is not telco hardware, but at least it will give
                    one an idea of the configuration.

                    On the other side of the state, if one is entering Towanda, PA on US Rt 6,
                    there are some very obvious passive reflectors on the hill overlooking the
                    Susquehana River that I am told are old AT&T gear.

                  • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 18, 2001
                      Wow, it sure is a small world! I'll bet Ray would be surprised to learn that
                      his article is still being read after 32 years; please let him know that his
                      work is much appreciated.

                      Albert