School Kids visit Pen Mar Antenna facility and meet MP's!

  • Goldsmith, Tim
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2001
      The Washington Post contained this blurb about an encounter by some school
      kids and some M-16 toting MP's at the antenna site south of Fort Ritchie.
      Anybody know specifics of this site?

      - Tim Goldsmith

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8759-2001Oct4.html
      Security Snags School Hiking Group

      A field trip turned fearsome yesterday for hikers who took an Appalachian
      Trail detour and wound up facing Army M-16s.

      The encounter between military police guarding a communications antenna and
      hikers from a Baltimore County private school ended peacefully but
      illustrated how recreational activities and tighter security measures have
      occasionally clashed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

      Hikers, boaters and hunters who pursue their hobbies near military
      installations or federal buildings are being watched, checked and sometimes
      kept from their usual routines.

      Eleven sophomores and two teachers from St. Paul's School for Boys didn't
      know they were close to a restricted area near the Appalachian Trail, said
      Principal John Thorpe.

      When some of the students and a teacher took a side path to an overlook near
      Pen Mar, two camouflage-wearing MPs guarding the antenna ordered them out of
      the woods, said Charles Dasey, a spokesman at Fort Detrick.
    • Mr. K. Rudolph
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
        Plain old metal, usually aluminum due to weight, look up Microflector on the
        web, they are located in Oregon. A real pain in the ass to install.

        Kurt

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
          A passive repeater could be a "billboard" type or two dishes back-to-back.
          The primary one is a billboard type and you will see these on mountain tops
          very close to one of the end points on the microwave path. There are many
          of these in Pennsylvania and are used to redirect a microwave path around a
          close in path blocker. There are a few double passive billboards in use
          that I am aware of and are two billboards within feet of one another if the
          passive is in between the two end points. A company (Microflect) in
          Washington state designs and manufactures many in use.

          Regards
          Terry Feathers
          tfeathers@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
            Yes, the "billboard" type of passive repeater is merely a flat metal surface
            which acts much like a mirror. In order to properIy reflect the microwave
            beam, it must be flat to within some fraction of a wavelength; the actual
            tolerance I've seen mentioned for use at telco frequencies is 1/8 inch.

            My Thurmont, MD passive repeater page includes a magazine article describing
            the technology, and links to a manufacturer's web site:

            http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Thurmont_repeater/index.html

            Albert

            In a message dated 10/10/2001 5:27:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            mpotter@... writes:

            > What is a microwave passive repeater made of just metal? Is there more to
            > it than that?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Matt

          • Matthew R. Potter

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
                Terry,

                Thanks for the info. I was wondering, were the passive repeaters in PA on
                telco routes? Long Lines or Bell of PA?

                Albert
              • Terry Feathers
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001

                  I am going from memory on this but the only AT&T passive is at Pottsville,
                  PA taking traffic to Harrisburg, PA. It was a Bell of Pennsylvania service
                  that transitioned to AT&T during divestiture. That is the double passive
                  billboard I was talking about yesterday.

                  The other AT&T billboard I am aware of was at Bluefield, WV. It took
                  Bluefield (GTE) traffic to Beckley, WV. It was an in air meet between GTE
                  and Bell of WV but transitioned to AT&T during divesture. AT&T never
                  authorized billboards for long haul service. AT&T engineered radio for long
                  haul service (1800 mile average for microwave systems). The local Bell's
                  usually designed their radio for short haul ( 250 mile average for their
                  microwave systems). Most of their systems were baseband systems and usually
                  AT&T systems were IF systems. Much less noise introduced in IF systems back
                  in the analog days before regens for digital.

                  I will try and remember places where AT&T had billboards and let you know
                  later.

                  Regards
                  Terry Feathers
                  ComSpec Corporation
                  Phone: 336-370-1456
                  Fax: 336-370-4116
                  Thanks for the info. I was wondering, were the passive repeaters in PA on
                  telco routes? Long Lines or Bell of PA?

                • Ken Hoehn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
                    Good story, Albert. You are always amazing me.

                    I know Ray Thrower; quite a guy. I've not spoken with him in some time, though.

                    Ken

                    albertjlafrance@... wrote:

                    > Yes, the "billboard" type of passive repeater is merely a flat metal surface
                    > which acts much like a mirror. In order to properIy reflect the microwave
                    > beam, it must be flat to within some fraction of a wavelength; the actual
                    > tolerance I've seen mentioned for use at telco frequencies is 1/8 inch.
                    >
                    > My Thurmont, MD passive repeater page includes a magazine article describing
                    > the technology, and links to a manufacturer's web site:
                    >
                    > http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Thurmont_repeater/index.html
                    >
                    > Albert
                    >
                    > In a message dated 10/10/2001 5:27:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > mpotter@... writes:
                    >
                    > > What is a microwave passive repeater made of just metal? Is there more to
                    > > it than that?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Matt

                    Ken Hoehn K8KWH

                    Phone: 734-878-8000 Facsimile: 734-878-7800

                    Email: ken@...
                  • hritz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
                      Sirs:

                      If one is traveling on I-79 near Pittsburgh, there are some very obvious
                      passive microwave reflectors on the hill near the Heidleburg/Kirwan Heights
                      exit (16?). This system is used by Allegheny Energy to get their microwave
                      telemetry signal for power distribution control out from a valley power
                      substation. Of course this is not telco hardware, but at least it will give
                      one an idea of the configuration.

                      On the other side of the state, if one is entering Towanda, PA on US Rt 6,
                      there are some very obvious passive reflectors on the hill overlooking the
                      Susquehana River that I am told are old AT&T gear.

                    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 18, 2001
                        Wow, it sure is a small world! I'll bet Ray would be surprised to learn that
                        his article is still being read after 32 years; please let him know that his
                        work is much appreciated.

                        Albert