Re: [coldwarcomms] Lang Bian Mountain Signal HQ

  • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
      OZOB99 wrote:

      > http://picasaweb.google.com/alanpmarshall/LangBianMountainUSArmySignalSiteVietnamWarApril1970ToApril1971#5386602414175019042

      Looks like great duty station! Nice mess hall, restaurant, rec-room,
      round eye USO plus a nice view. Not typical RVN duty.

      Dex
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
        Here's some not so great relay station duty(at bottom of URL page):

        http://www.5thcommgrp.org/1stRadio.html

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <dexter.mc@...> wrote:

        > OZOB99 wrote:
        > >

        > > http://picasaweb.google.com/alanpmarshall/LangBianMountainUSArmySignalSiteVietnamWarApril1970ToApril1971#5386602414175019042
        > >
        > Looks like great duty station! Nice mess hall, restaurant, rec-room,
        > round eye USO plus a nice view. Not typical RVN duty.
        >
        > Dex

      • Jason Bourne
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2012
          So would this site have had the troposcatter equipment like the project offices in the U.S.?

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
            yes, for the terminals but antennas much different.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Jason Bourne <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

            > So would this site have had the troposcatter equipment like the project offices in the U.S.?

          • Sheldon Daitch
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
              OZ,

              What are the details on the tropo radios used in the project
              offices?  Who made them?

              The tropo radios shown in the photos at Lang Bian might
              be TRC-90 systems.

              Merv Norton has a document on some of the development of
              the tropo systems in Vietnam, at:

              http://www.mervnorton.com/Articles/Tropo-SEA.pdf

              Most, if not all of the fixed plant tropo systems in Vietnam
              used REL 2600 radio systems.  It was such a contrast to
              see these stations, nice concrete floor steel buildings, with
              air conditioning for the equipment and real toilets, but the
              troops had to live in unairconditioned wooden barracks and
              use outhouses.

              Many of the REL-2600s were used to replace and augment
              the AN/MRC-85 systems that were used in the earlier days
              of US involvement in Vietnam, per Norton's paper.

              My copies of the ICS/IWCS books are at work and I can't
              refer to them at the moment to see if there is additional
              data on the Lang Bian site.

              73
              Sheldon

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
                They were REL 2600 10KW.

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sheldon Daitch <sheldondaitch@...> wrote:

                > OZ,
                >
                > What are the details on the tropo radios used in the project
                > offices?  Who made them?
                >
                > The tropo radios shown in the photos at Lang Bian might
                > be TRC-90 systems.
                >
                > Merv Norton has a document on some of the development of
                > the tropo systems in Vietnam, at:
                >
                > http://www.mervnorton.com/Articles/Tropo-SEA.pdf
                >
                > Most, if not all of the fixed plant tropo systems in Vietnam
                > used REL 2600 radio systems.  It was such a contrast to
                > see these stations, nice concrete floor steel buildings, with
                > air conditioning for the equipment and real toilets, but the
                > troops had to live in unairconditioned wooden barracks and
                > use outhouses.
                >
                > Many of the REL-2600s were used to replace and augment
                > the AN/MRC-85 systems that were used in the earlier days
                > of US involvement in Vietnam, per Norton's paper.
                >
                > My copies of the ICS/IWCS books are at work and I can't
                > refer to them at the moment to see if there is additional
                > data on the Lang Bian site.
                >
                > 73
                > Sheldon

              • Sheldon Daitch
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
                  OK, thanks.

                  Then they were the same as or very similar to the
                  REL-2600 tropo radios used in Vietnam.

                  I don't know if I have a listing of which REL-2600
                  systems were 1kW or 10kw. I am thinking most of
                  the systems in RVN were 1kW, but that is a 40 year
                  memory.

                  73
                  Sheldon