Recently released Air/Ground telephone calls from Lyndon Johnson to Rose Kennedy

  • David I. Emery
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 05:25:35PM -0500, radioman390@... wrote:
      > AGRAS 454 Mhz continues to operate to this day. Two companies operate
      > the ground stations: SkyTel and Stratophone.

      I am aware that licenses still exist and some are still active.
      LOTS and LOTS of commercial private aircraft (executive aircraft) have
      had or still have transceivers for this system. Many have both Satcom,
      old Airfone Magnastars, and AGRAS radios.

      It would not be my impression that there is a lot of traffic on
      the system any more... for one thing whether legal or not using
      cellphones from aircraft usually works... and probably for a lot of
      folks the rules against it are obscure and it if works hey...

      As for the recent era and whether VIP or military command
      aircraft have radios on the system.. possibly, the radios are cheaper
      and lighter than they once were... and after 911 more emphasis exists on
      backup. Whether they are used much is another question...

      Certainly today the mid 90s to 2005 or so radios MAY have some
      security (no longer rocket science) but it would be interesting to learn
      anyone is using it much for government coms with VIP aircraft. I very
      much doubt that there was ANY security on the system at all before the
      mid to late 90s...

      > They serve, AFAIK, about 10% of the current airground market; the
      > remainder served by Airfone and a subsidiary of JetBlue, but those are
      > at 890 Mhz.

      Verizon Airfone is no more as an operator - their spectrum was
      bought by the Jet Blue Subsidiary. Not clear to what extent Verizon
      still contracts with them to operate any portion of the service, since
      they had an installed infrastructure of base stations and so forth they
      may still be supplying some of the actual service under contract. It
      is definitely true the system is still on the air, however... though
      with different channel allocations than in the original AirFone era

      > Of course Iridium and Globalstar offer satellite service, and
      > Marinesat as well.

      Iridium is quite common on aircraft these days and has been
      adopted on the SAM VIP aircraft as well... INMARSAT is quite widely
      deployed on both private jets and quite a few airliners... and I guess
      there is some Globalstar too.

      There is also a service based on using cellular spectrum with
      cross polarized antennas... the company (Aircell) that developed this
      eventually bought the other 3/4 of the old AirFone 849/894 spectrum and
      has been running IP internet service via CMDA EvDO and beyond (maybe
      LTE now).

      --
      Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
      'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
        No, I'm not sure exactly when the "Nationwide" system was fielded, but my
        understanding has been mid to late 1960s.

        I wonder if Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine ever ran a feature on
        the (V)C-137s -- 58-6970/1/2 or 62-6000 back in the Kennedy era? AW&ST
        articles I have from the early 1970s about EC-135 Looking Glass & E-4A
        NEACP give a good breakdown of mission communications systems.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
          IIRC the NEACP transportable ECI trailer GEP's were deployed about 1962, Waldorf & other GEP's came online soon thereafter;same for Blue Eagle.

          Issue B of BSP 408-440-100LL(ECI) is dated 1965 so issue A is obviously prior to that date.

          As for Echo-Fox, I recall it being deployed in the mid 1960's; again a BSP first issue date could confirm; issue 2 of BSP 406-116-510 is dated 1970.

          The definitive answer is buried in USAF,DTIC,WHCA,AT&T,etc documents, some of which may be discovered online eventually.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Polo Hat <polohat@...> wrote:

          > No, I'm not sure exactly when the "Nationwide" system was fielded, but my
          > understanding has been mid to late 1960s.
          >
          > I wonder if Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine ever ran a feature on
          > the (V)C-137s -- 58-6970/1/2 or 62-6000 back in the Kennedy era? AW&ST
          > articles I have from the early 1970s about EC-135 Looking Glass & E-4A
          > NEACP give a good breakdown of mission communications systems.
          >
          > Tim
          >
          > On Thursday, February 2, 2012, Blake Bowers <bbowers@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Tim, are you sure about Echo Fox not being around in 62?
          > >
          > > I talked with a crafts person that was at a site during the Cuban Missile
          > > Crisis, and he told me about his supervisor insisting he take care of an
          > > issue on the E/F circuit, but advising him to lock himself in, and as soon
          > > as he was done leave and go home.
          > >
          > > He was very clear on the events, lots of little details.
          > >
          > > When did E/F start service? The commercial UHF radios were available
          > before
          > > 62

        • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
            The GEP at Stanfield was installed in 1970. At that time I recall
            hearing this system was to supplement or replace the Echo Fox located at
            Graniteville (Charlotte NC) which had been in service about ten years.
            However I've nothing to document that and have lost contact with
            everyone who worked at Graniteville at that time. Several that I knew
            very well have expired.

            Dex