Re: Adamsville PA Tower Destruction

  • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 1, 2012
      Thanks, Al, on confirming KAY61. I thought that might have been the case yesterday when I was playing around with the FCC license search and their GIS mapping feature. But I also wasn't positive in that I recall seeing a third tower out of the corner of my eye when I last drove through there, and so I wasn't sure if KAY61 was the flyswatter tower or this possible third (cellular?) tower. KAY61 has an east-west path, which matches what I recall seeing with the orientation of the reflectors, but that would have also matched up with railroad use along this original Great Northern, then BN, now BNSF mainline. There are lots of UHF translators and stations out in central and west-central Minnesota (such as Benson and Alexandria) relaying the various Twin Cities stations, plus adding local news. Before my in-laws switched to satellite TV, they used to get these.

      And for anyone here who is into cable TV OTA reception towers, Atwater (east of Willmar on US 12) has a nifty heavy-duty tower east of town with three sets of four-each heavy duty High VHF and Low VHF antennas, plus I recall a UHF set, for pulling the Twin Cities stations to feed the cable system. My eyes have always watered when I drive past this tower:).

      Kevin Anderson

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, bd6xray@... wrote:

      > Tom, you'll like this - TV!
      >
      > It's KAY61, formerly licensed to American Television & Communications Corp. Now, Time Warner Cable LLC.
      >
      > Common Carrier Fixed point to point. Goes to Montevideo, Benson, and Kirkhoven.
      >
      > Al Hajny
      >
      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomandsue@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Kevin-
      > > I'll check for that flyswatter tower when I go up MN23. I do see these from time to time, and it could be an old railroad tower. There are several along the Kyle Railroad, ex-Rock Island. I visited the one at Rexford, KS fall, 2011, and eventually determined it was indeed an old Rock Island microwave tower. Still standing! I don't know the history of the RR line thru Willmar, but I believe it has been BN and then BNSF. Could have been Rock, but I'll leave that to the train guys to do a quick check thereon.
      > >
      > > Tom Scanlan
      > >
      > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The line of towers from St. Cloud to Sioux Falls are still AT&T. License entries still exist - and still 4 Mhz at that. The tower location on the east side of Willmar along that line is interesting, in that nearby to the AT&T tower there still exists a standing "flyswatter"-style tower. I haven't researched that flyswatter tower enough to see if it if still active, and by whom. My inlaws live about 20 miles away from there, so I drive it often as it is along our route, but our visits their typically don't leave me with time to research this. Both towers are right along a modern-day BNSF rail line.
      > > >
      > > > Kevin Anderson, Dubuque, Iowa
    • Bill
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 1, 2012
        Many towers are listed despite not being required to. Not necessarily near
        airports either. I see it at many of the sites I work at.

        Depending on the actual service, Cellular, PCS or AWS, there are differing
        rules on site locations. PCS and AWS have field strength limits at the
        boundaries of their licenses and can pretty much do what they want for site
        locations. The company I work for uses AWS spectrum and moves and adds sites
        without notifying the FCC. Verizon does have their sites listed, or at least
        the older sites, on their FCC licenses such as KNKA237.