Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 3887

  • Doug Humphrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      On Dec 1, 2011, at 10:49 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >> A big engine (GE J79 for example) is eating 150 pounds of air
      >> a second. most people think "PSI" - but that is not this - this is
      >> 150 pounds of air by weight per second, or roughly all of the
      >> air in a small building, per second....
      >
      > At 0.076 lbs/ft^3 [70F], that's ~2000 ft^3/sec.
      >
      > Doug at one point owned an engine; was that a J79 or something else?
      >
      > Speaking of surplus; I just found out my friends in NorCal have a Diesel
      > genset from a CO in a back storage building.....a 750KVA unit.
      >
      > That's ~60gal/hr of #2....gulp.

      mine were J79's - one of them used as a wind machine, for which I think
      it was insane overkill (it was used in Twister and Forest Gump and a few
      others) - it was originally from a TWA Convair 880 and still had the TWA
      stickers on it - the other was from an F4 Phantom, military engine.

      I gave the wind machine unit to the Mythbusters for a dollar. :-)

      Full power was about 1 gallon per second of fuel; with afterburner you were
      closer to 10 gallons per second (which is why fighter pilots are generally
      pretty stingy with time on the 'burner) but for that you get between 12,000 and
      18,000 horsepower, depending on the exact model.

      The Solar 750k's in COs were fuel hogs as all turbines are - but they were
      light weight, low vibration, very reliable - turbines are often said to have "one moving
      part" although that is not really true - but they are MUCH more simple than
      a diesel, and it is true that the vast majority of the load is indeed on that "one
      moving part"

      fun toys - doug