Austin GWEN Observations

  • Mr. K. Rudolph (Facility 406 Field Accou
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2001
      Few observations...

      Terraservers milage is off by nearly 50%. My USGS Map sucks. The
      flight chart only shows an "obstruction below 1000'", how'd do you know
      it is a GWEN site?

      Kurt

      --
      Ross Technologies Signals Intelligence Division
      Rosetta Proving Grounds
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2001
        Kurt,

        A USAF document described the Central Nevada GWEN site as 15 miles
        southwest of Austin. The Las Vegas sectional chart (22 Mar 2001) shows
        a 299' tower about 15 SW of Austin. Surfing to that spot on TerraServer
        took me to the characteristic central building by the antenna mast, the
        pair of equipment shelters along the access road, and in this case you
        can even see traces of the 12 surrounding radials in the ground/
        counterpoise system.

        Some of the sites are more distinct on TerraServer than this one, others
        are much less distinct. When I put up my page I'll cite my sources so
        others can double-check and validate my research. In fact, I'll
        probably make the page available to the COLDWARCOMMS group for beta test
        before I publicize it in my index and "whats new" page.

        Cheers,
        Scott
        www.airforcebase.net