RE: [coldwarcomms] LBJ Ranch Comms Tower

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2011
      Contrast that with the “microwave tower” at JFK’s vacation home:

      http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/JFKWHP-1961-03-02-E.aspx

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
        > "THE COMMUNICATIONS TOWER (HB-58)-1963-1964, is a 340-foot red-and-white steel tower on a concrete base.

        Has anyone found this on imagery? The only one that seems possible is ASR
        1254959 but that was built in 2006. I'd think it had been removed but.....
      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
          http://g.co/maps/u79d6

          It is the same one you found. I am going to climb out on a limb, and guess
          that maybe TX decided to take it over, and had to register it for the first
          time in 2006, as before it was a federal tower an did not need to be
          registered.

          Don't take your organs to heaven,
          heaven knows we need them down here!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
            On 10/2/11 12:37 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:
            > It is the same one you found. I am going to climb out on a limb, and guess
            > that maybe TX decided to take it over, and had to register it for the first
            > time in 2006, as before it was a federal tower an did not need to be
            > registered.

            AFAIK, there's no exemption of USG towers from ARS. It exists as a FAA
            benefit, mostly.
          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
              Federal government towers are exempt from the ASR.

              Remember that the FCC has no control over federal agencies.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011

                > Snippet from: pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/69000202.pdf
                >
                > "THE COMMUNICATIONS TOWER (HB-58)-1963-1964, is a 340-foot red-and-white steel tower on a concrete base. It has antennas for broadcasting and receiving high-and-low band radio,television, and microwave communication.
                >
                > The tower was erected on the highest point on the ranch.
                > THE RADIO TRANSMITTER BUILDING (HB-59)-1963-1964, is located at the base of the communications tower. It is of frame construction with a wood floor.
                >
                > The roof and siding are of green, corrugated metal. The radio transmitter building houses radio base stations and other electronic equipment."

                I found a photo:

                www.hscl.cr.nps.gov/insidenps/report.asp?STATE=&PARK=LYJO&STRUCTURE=&SORT=&RECORDNO=68

                Related info:

                Snippet from:

                www.porticus.org/bell/longlines.html

                "Lyndon B. Johnson became president after John F. Kennedy was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963. When LBJ was to entertain his first foreign visitor, he requested television coverage at the ranch. This picture was taken during the provision of that service. It is estimated that this picture was taken in early 1964.

                Myrl Bridgewater Retired Long Lines District Operations Manager from St Louis Mo. recalls this historical event quite well:

                "Some of us were attending a meeting (a one day meeting in Omaha) to become familiar with SAC (Strategic Air Command). (We were equipped with one-night overnight bags) John Barteck and I, along with a couple of other folks, were called out of the meeting and were told we were to go to Texas on a RUSH mission to construct a TD2 system between Johnson's ranch and Austin, Texas.

                Johnson was already president. The purpose of the rush was because Johnson was to entertain a visiting dignitary from a foreign country. He wanted television coverage at the ranch. It had to be done within about 60 hours. Southwestern Bell said it could not be done. The Long Lines Operations VP, Earl Schoolley, said Long Lines could do lt. We were given an "open check book."
                When I said, I would go to St. Louis for my clothes; I was handed a plane ticket to Austin and told there was no time for St. Louis. I was in charge of the ranch site, about two hundred yards from the ranch house, and John Bartech was in charge of the site between the ranch and Austin. Walt Peterson was in my crew.

                John Barteck's site was on top of a granite peaked mountain about halfway between the ranch and Austin. The first evening they were there, they drilled into the granite and set off a dynamite charge. The next morning an inspection revealed the holes were the same size as the drill bits. The tower anchors were placed in those holes.

                The picture was taken of the van being towed up the hill to Bartech's site. It was about half way up the hill.

                We had the TD2 system up and working within 48 hours. We had to, as our hides were on the line. Schooley was not known of being forgiving. After all we only worked about 40 of those 48 hours.

                After 3 or 4 days those overnight bags were about gone. We did go to town to buy clean clothes. I was going to buy jeans and work shirts, but Walt Peterson said "OH, no you don't". By G--, you are our manager, and you must dress like it. I bought white shirts.

                We spent the better part of to two weeks there. The secret service men were real gentlemen. After two days they were calling me by my name. I could go on to the ranch and take visitors with me, when they recognized me. Some of the visitors were: Bob Huber, Todd Esery, and others. (We were not allowed into the house as Lady Bird was living there).

                Larry, thank you for reminding me of this episode, as it was one of the most interesting of my 41+ year career". - Myrl Bridgewater"