FCC data

    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 17, 2011
      So I grabbed the results of searching on AT&T and CF {common carrier
      microwave} and 3-15Ghz.

      There are 3696 licenses. (Note the database has only licenses active at the
      conversion date; ones expired at that date were dropped into the bit bucket.)

      It's a big file because it's delineated ASCII of the tables in the
      database. Each license shows the lat.long of each end of the path segment.

      The gotcha is how to import it all back into a relational database again.

      The good news is the FCC actually responded to my query by phoning me and
      explaining it all.

      So is this something of worth to the site archives?

      Anyone here a database guru? [I futz with such but am not...]
    • bd6xray@lycos.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 20, 2011
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cfbsteve" <schinds@...> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sam, Thanks for all your work! Way better than I could have done.
        > >
        > > As for route lines, it would be a nice toggle (default=off).
        > >
        > > I know it's only as good as the data, but did
        > > anyone (yet) notice the towers along Arizona's
        > > southern border? Didn't know FCC regulated on
        > > the other side of the fence. OOPS!
        > >
        > > Mike
        >
        > I looked at the satellite view and didn't see any structures at those locations. It's probably a typo in the coordinates. I've seen quite a few transmitter locations that are supposed to be in one location show up somewhere else (like in the ocean) when you map the coordinates.

        Although all of these licenses are CF - Common Carrier Fixed Point to Point, you can get a license for "mobile" operation. In these cases, an "Area of Operation" is specified, usually a rectangle with a minimum and maximum latitude and longitude. The minimums are listed as the "location", and of course there is nothing there, but there's a truck in a garage somewhere with possibly several available licenses to use.

        Take for example WPNA429, seems to be in Mexico. Look it up on the ULS, and you'll see the area description on the "Locations" tab.

        Click on "Map License" just above the "Paths" tab to see the area, takes a little time to load.

        In this case, some authorization to operate in Mexico seems to have been granted (or someone didn't notice?).

        Al Hajny