Re: [coldwarcomms] 508A power supplies; power systems in general.

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
      On 8/1/11 1:31 AM, widebandit wrote:

      > Some TD2 sites way out in the boonies - like Cutter New Mexico - were fed by a single wire(!)...

      Wow; SWER <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/SWER> is not
      common in the US.

      Did everything in TD2 run off of battery plant directly?

      > TH radio (BSTJ November 1961) used three-phase power to run synchronous motor-alternators...

      <http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol40-1961/articles/bstj40-6-1627.pdf>
      is an interesting read.

      I have no idea how the synchronous motor with no excitation works. It's
      common to start a synchronous motor via induction, then apply excitation.

      The self-excited generator is now pretty common.

      The dual motor scheme is an old idea; I recall a pipeline firepump with AC
      and diesel powerplants straddling the pump.

      > With TH radio, the decision was made to feed the bays with "firm AC" and derive necessary DC potentials locally...

      Note the 508A had a fair-sized flywheel; clearly that was an important
      aspect of the design. A large flywheel was a good filter, and bridged the
      spikes of going from one power source to the other.

      Note many ISP's are using a similar scheme; HiTek units are used at some
      carrier hotels [hosting sites...]. They last long enough for the Diesel to
      start & get to speed.

      I see mention of L-carrier in the above; so coax undergrounds used 508A's
      as well?