RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: DC CO's

  • charlie Fargis
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
      I always wanted to see if Busl would divulge something on Wash 4. Found it myself.
      Great CWA VP too.

      To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
      From: ozob99@...
      Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:52:52 +0000
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: DC CO's

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsandow" <dsandow@...> wrote:

      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:

      > > The midtown CO mentioned at 2055 L St NW also housed the LL Eastern Region HQ, Engineering offices, and Government Communications in the 1960's & 70's.

      > 2055 L contained the LL Eastern Region HQ, the Plant and Sales staffs, and some small administrative depts. The Engineering Department was across the street in 2000 L St. - a commercial rental office building. Also in 2000 L St was the AT&T Federal Relations Dept. - the lobbyists and FCC contact people. Many of them had offices both here and at 195.

      Elaborating a bit, the classified circuit(ICS & others) equipment engineering and service engineering(circuit design)groups were in 2055 L & later 2000 L, & eventually to Oakton Va; the telegraph service engineering district was temporarily in a leased commercial building basement several blocks away.

      These groups worked in the "back room" of the locations,naturally with an abundance of secure file safes & intrusion alarms;one quickly learned not to ask "back room" people questions, & that you did'nt have a need to know.

    • cpe122
      Message 2 of 22 , May 5 9:00 PM
        I don't find an answer to the question of Wash 1 location. Map 6 as well as other documents are quite specific that the ("F" & "G") L carrier cables ran from Baltimore 2 to Washington 1.

        Trying to calculate possible repeater locations, but it's not clear which LL office was "1".

        /cpe

        Message 3 of 22 , May 5 9:22 PM
          On 5/6/14 12:00 AM, cpe122@... wrote:

          > I don't find an answer to the question of Wash 1 location. Map 6 as
          > well as other documents are quite specific that the ("F"& "G") L
          > carrier cables ran from Baltimore 2 to Washington 1.
          >
          > Trying to calculate possible repeater locations, but it's not clear
          > which LL office was "1".

          I had an old thread starting 29 June 2011 re: my confusion. Subject "DC CO"

          It discussed:

          WASHDCSW: 30 E ST SW

          WASHDCMT: 2055 L St NW; not a LL POP, but did hold LL offices....

          WASHDCDT: 725 13th St NW

          WASHDCUT: Columbia Rd, "WASH2"

          But only with WASHDCUT did I firmly tie a CLLI to a WASH#...
          Message 4 of 22 , May 6 5:08 AM
            WASHDCSW was Wash 3 & Wash 6(4ess)

            WASHDCDT was Wash 1

            WASHDCMT had no numerical designation & no LL equipment; it did have LL

            region,engineering,sales & government communications offices

            for 2-3 years.
          • charlie Fargis
            Message 5 of 22 , May 6 6:21 AM
              WASHDCMT was LL Eastern region's executive/Admin HQ
              It also housed the ER security Office from which security clearances were requested
              Across the street were the engineering HQs.
              LL Government Sales was over on K street

              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 22 , May 6 6:23 AM
                DT Was Wash 1with TD-2 to Garden City for TV service

                To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                From: wb8foz@...
                Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 00:22:15 -0400

                On 5/6/14 12:00 AM, cpe122@... wrote:

                > I don't find an answer to the question of Wash 1 location. Map 6 as

                > well as other documents are quite specific that the ("F"& "G") L

                > carrier cables ran from Baltimore 2 to Washington 1.

                > Trying to calculate possible repeater locations, but it's not clear

                > which LL office was "1".

                I had an old thread starting 29 June 2011 re: my confusion. Subject "DC CO"

                It discussed:

                WASHDCSW: 30 E ST SW

                WASHDCMT: 2055 L St NW; not a LL POP, but did hold LL offices....

                WASHDCDT: 725 13th St NW

                WASHDCUT: Columbia Rd, "WASH2"

                But only with WASHDCUT did I firmly tie a CLLI to a WASH#...

              • larryk2855
                Message 7 of 22 , May 6 5:27 PM
                  WASHDCSW - Southwest - 30 E Street SW - WASH3 - Both Verizon and AT&T are in that location today.

                  WASHDCMT - Midtown - 2055 L Street NW - No LL presence equipment-wise in that location but as noted it did have the engineering and executives there at some point. Also at 2001 L Street and 2000 L Street.

                  WASHDCDT - Downtown - this one is interesting as the AT&T side is on 13th St and the C&P/Bell Atlantic/Verizon side is on 12th Street. 722 and 730 12th Street originally made up Downtown for the ILEC. 722 was sold off a few years ago but the cable vault is still under part of it. 730 remains the active Downtown CO. I'm not sure if AT&T would have had a separate CLLI for 725 13th Street or not.

                  WASHDCMO - Metro - is adjacent to Downtown on the corner of 12th and H.

                  WASHDCUT - Uptown - donated by Bell Atlantic to a charity many years ago.

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 7 9:51 AM
                    Note that 2000 L St was a commercial office building, not a telephone office like 2055 L.

                    WASHDCDTW20 was the LL work group at Wash 1; C&P areas in both buildings had other CLLI's.
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 7 10:31 AM
                      On 5/6/14 8:27 PM, lists@... wrote:

                      > WASHDCUT - Uptown - donated by Bell Atlantic to a charity many years ago.

                      Interesting. I've seen multiple cases where the LEC kept one floor, and the
                      cable vault; but not one of unloading the whole building.

                      (Further, I'm not locating the pictured building in imagery; could it have
                      been torn down since then?)
                    • larryk2855
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 7 5:33 PM
                        Regarding 2000 L St, yes it's a commercial building as is 2001 L St.

                        What I found interesting about 2000 L is the main telephone room in the basement looks more like a CO than your typical building, with Vertical and Horizontal blocks on a Main Distribution Frame. Plenty of cable as well from Midtown across the street.

                        WASHDCDTW20 comes up as the Downtown Toll office. I'd never checked it before but WASHDCDT's official address is 725 13th Street, the AT&T side.

                      • larryk2855
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 7 6:07 PM
                          The building is at 1420 Columbia Rd NW:
                          https://www.google.com/maps/@38.927466,-77.033571,3a,75y,166.6h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sL0r_Pt-4Bws-ljG-l5RnPw!2e0 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.927466,-77.033571,3a,75y,166.6h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sL0r_Pt-4Bws-ljG-l5RnPw!2e0

                          It still looks like a C&P building.