Re: [coldwarcomms] Navy "utilities" project in East Potomac Park, Washington, DC

  • Lou Novacheck
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 18, 2011
      John Young had some coverage of this on cryptome a year or two back, along
      with addition photos.

      On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Albert LaFrance <
      albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > This blog entry from 2009 describes a walk around the perimeter of the
      > mysterious tunneling project site, and includes a link to some ground-level
      > photos:
      >

      > http://area51looseends.blogspot.com/2009/04/investigation-secret-underground
      > .html
      >
      > Note the cover story offered by the park ranger, that the facility is for
      > scanning freight rail cars entering DC. Of course, there might well be a
      > radiation scanner or something scanner in there, lending some truth to the
      > story, but clearly that's not the installation's primary purpose.
      >
      > Albert

      Life is what happens to you while you�re making other plans.
      ~ John Lennon

      To possess another language is to possess another soul.
      ~ Charlemagne

      To err is human, but to really foul things up takes a computer.
      ~ Anonymous

      Looking for the best coverage of American music? You'll find it at
      www.ElmoreMagazine.com, and at www.NoDepression.com.

      Be sure to check out http://blogcritics.org/ for the best and the most
      diverse comments and reviews on every subject imaginable.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
        Any new information on this long-running project?

        Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an April
        2011 Google Streetview shot?

        http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B

        In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black hood
        and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.

      • John Young
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
          Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.

          A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:

          http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg

          Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.

          A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
          to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
          the White House, with stops along the way to gather
          other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
          out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
          directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
          Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
          War.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
            On 7/27/13 2:06 PM, John Young wrote:

            > A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running to and
            > from. My guess is still an evacuation route from the White House, with
            > stops along the way to gather other VIPs. Where headed? S

            Where are all the tailings going? As anyone who has seen the Great Escape
            knows, the problem is getting rid of the dirt....
          • Mike Cowen
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
              Any news if they managed to re-level the
              Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a lot of noise
              about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have
              been rather embarrassing to have a national
              memorial fall into their "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal basin.

              Mike

              At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:

              >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
              >
              >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
              >
              ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
              >
              >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
              >
              >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
              >to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
              >the White House, with stops along the way to gather
              >other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
              >out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
              >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
              >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
              >War.
              >
              >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
              > >

              > >Any new information on this long-running project?
              > >
              > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an April
              > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
              > >
              > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
              > >
              > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black hood
              > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
              > >
              > >Albert

            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                Dare I say the folks around D.C. are pretty skilled at getting rid of "dirt"...

                However, from an engineering perspective, it's a very good question!

                Mike

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                  On 7/27/13 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                  > Any news if they managed to re-level the Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a
                  > lot of noise about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have been rather
                  > embarrassing to have a national memorial fall into their "secret" hole
                  > along with a breach of the tidal basin.

                  Naw, they'd blame it on the Congress.
                • John Young
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                    expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                    Some are moved at night or during cloud cover or weather.
                    Some dumped in rivers and lakes, two nearby the Navy dig.

                    Some are packaged in camouflaged containers. Some
                    might be moved in the adjoining metro tunnel. There is
                    also a somewhat concealed Amtrak siding where FDR
                    used to board a train.

                    When excavating in the right kind or rock some of the
                    debris is used as aggregate in concrete which is batched
                    underground.

                    A number
                    of ways to do that

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                      On 7/27/13 3:27 PM, John Young wrote:
                      > Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                      > expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                      SWAG

                      Shaft site to White House 7600 ft.
                      Say 4' wide by 6' tall
                      182,400 ft^3 total
                      6800 yd^3

                      By any measure that's a lot of dirt....

                      But it's only 6400 ft to the Pentagon....
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                        It sure is a lot of dirt! And you could probably add at least two feet to
                        those finished dimensions to allow for the thickness of the tunnel lining,
                        and space for ventilation ducts, light fixtures, etc.

                        Speaking of the White House, I seem to recall reading that a big "utilities"
                        project was going on there within the past year or so - maybe the tunnelers
                        finally breaking through?

                        In a normal tunneling project, of course, they'd dig from both ends to speed
                        up the work.

                        Albert

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 27, 2013
                          RE: the White House "utility upgrade":

                          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/white-house-big-dig-remai_n_1877484
                          .html

                          OR

                          http://tinyurl.com/8t5uml6

                          Albert

                          > Hiding the tailings is essential for covert UG facilties. Or to
                          > expose partial tailings to delude about the extent of excavation.

                          SWAG

                          Shaft site to White House 7600 ft.
                          Say 4' wide by 6' tall
                          182,400 ft^3 total
                          6800 yd^3

                          By any measure that's a lot of dirt....

                          But it's only 6400 ft to the Pentagon....

                        • Jim Browne
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 28, 2013
                            I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
                            Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
                            they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
                            rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

                            The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
                            piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data
                            showed a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
                            Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
                            needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
                            told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

                            I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
                            of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

                            On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Any news if they managed to re-level the
                            > Jefferson Memorial? Sure was a lot of noise
                            > about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have
                            > been rather embarrassing to have a national
                            > memorial fall into their "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal
                            > basin.
                            >
                            > Mike
                            >

                            > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                            > >

                            > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
                            > >
                            > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
                            > >
                            > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
                            > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
                            >

                            > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
                            > >
                            > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running
                            > >to and from. My guess is still an evacuation route from
                            > >the White House, with stops along the way to gather
                            > >other VIPs. Where headed? Some have speculated
                            > >out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
                            > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
                            > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold
                            > >War.
                            > >
                            > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
                            > > >
                            > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in an
                            > April
                            > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
                            > > >
                            > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
                            > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
                            >

                            > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body, black
                            > hood
                            > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
                            > > >
                            > > >Albert

                            Jim Browne

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                              It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)

                              Albert

                            • Mike Walker
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                                *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*

                                Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 29, 2013
                                  On 7/29/13 9:51 PM, Mike Walker wrote:

                                  > *It could be worse...Google "Lake Peigneur" :)*
                                  >
                                  > Oh yes*.* Quite possibly my favorite engineering disaster of all time.

                                  There was a Buffalo salt mine extending under Lake Erie that recently
                                  became a salt water reservoir after some kind of oops....
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
                                    Here's some old news that I hadn't picked up on: the general contractor for
                                    the Jefferson Memorial plaza repair is none other than Clark Construction -
                                    the same company that's a partner on the Navy "utilities" project right next
                                    door, or right below if you believe those wild rumors!

                                    <http://www.clarkconstruction.com/sites/default/files/superstructure/superst
                                    ructure2010spring.pdf>

                                    Maybe that's what they're doing with all that dirt from the (non) tunnel
                                    excavation - sending it topside to shore up the memorial :)

                                    Albert

                                    I saw a presentation at DFI in Boston two years ago about the Jefferson
                                    Memorial Plaza rehab. Contractor was Schnabel Foundation Co. and damage
                                    they were repairing appeared quite "suddenly" right around the time that
                                    rumors about a secret tunnel project began circulating.

                                    The presentation was fairly standard except for one slide that showed
                                    piezometer (ground water pressure) data under the memorial. The data showed
                                    a linear increase down to roughly 100' where it sharply *decreased*.
                                    Schnabel presented this data to the Park Service and insisted that they
                                    needed to find out what was causing the draw-down. Predictably, they were
                                    told not to worry about it and just fix the memorial...

                                    I'm surprised that slide made it into public presentations. To a room full
                                    of geotechnical engineers, it was fairly obvious what was happening....

                                    On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Any news if they managed to re-level the Jefferson Memorial? Sure was
                                    > a lot of noise about it sinking, now rather quiet. Would have been
                                    > rather embarrassing to have a national memorial fall into their
                                    > "secret" hole along with a breach of the tidal basin.
                                    >
                                    > Mike
                                    >

                                    > At 11:06 AM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > >Might be a combined logo for Clark Construction and Kiewet.
                                    > >
                                    > >A combined sign of the two at the project with similar colors:
                                    > >
                                    > ><http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg>
                                    > http://cryptome.org/eyeball/dcnavy/pict167.jpg
                                    >

                                    > >Kiewet is a tunneling contractor, Clark usually surface.
                                    > >
                                    > >A long-running project, not at all clear where it is running to and
                                    > >from. My guess is still an evacuation route from the White House,
                                    > >with stops along the way to gather other VIPs. Where headed? Some
                                    > >have speculated out toward Leesburg but it may branch into several
                                    > >directions. A lot of underground work around the globe.
                                    > >Certainly a lot in the US. Nothing like it since the Cold War.
                                    > >
                                    > >At 12:58 PM 7/27/2013, you wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > >Any new information on this long-running project?
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Anyone recognize the logo on this truck, seen exiting the site in
                                    > > >an
                                    > April
                                    > > >2011 Google Streetview shot?
                                    > > >
                                    > > ><<http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B>
                                    > http://goo.gl/maps/vJp2B
                                    >

                                    > > >In a Bing aerial image, I saw a pickup with the same yellow body,
                                    > > >black
                                    > hood
                                    > > >and white toolbox, as well as two other yellow pickups.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Albert

                                    Jim Browne

                                  • Jim Browne
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 31, 2016
                                      "As the groundwater conditions have changed...."

                                      On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM, 'Albert LaFrance'
                                      albert.lafrance@... [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

                                      Jim Browne