MD interconnections ?

    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 11, 2011
      So I am chatting with a long-retired USG employee who is talking about the
      PG/Charles area...that L-L had three places they interconnected with C&P:

      The Faulkner Interconnect
      The Smallwood Interconnect {at Waldorf}
      The Marshall Hall Interconnect {at Pomonkey}

      He goes on to say there is still an ongoing commercial [not AT&T Federal]
      interconnection at Waldorf, run by Ashburn.

      I thought Waldorf was all USG, al-la Faulkner?

      And how would Pomonkey have anything at baseband?
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 18 7:48 AM

         I recently got a tip there may have been a base station of some type at Tassajara, which could have been a gov't mobile; maybe a newer member with knowledge of that station, or knows someone who might, can confirm this?

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@> wrote:
        > >
        > > An unammed source indicates the AUTOVON system had two #5 Dial Assistance Switchboard at San Luis Obisbo and Leesburg 5.
        >

        > Looking further into the 5D at LSBG5 I can say this was not part of >Autovon but a gov't ML mobile radio system; confirmed by a sketch on >Albert's website. The 5D at SLO may have been part of a similar >system in that area, if so it suggests NS/EP and/or COG activities >in that area.

        The following seems to confirm this: looking at John Cross's blog recently mentioned, I found an anecdote about him looking around the SLO area for a possible PEF or relo site, including visiting SLO underground; if in fact one or more were established in the area, at least in the Nixon years, it seems logical there would have been a similar VIP mobile radio network for comms continuity in emergency situations, although probably not as extensive as the DC area network.

        There may have been one or more base stations in a 50 mile radius of SLO, perhaps one at SLO itself; Tassajarra, sprouting a few antennas is a possibility, and it was a location with special construction.

        Perhaps someone new on the list may have knowledge of gov't mobile base stations on towers in that area back in the day.