Re: Gov't Wide Band Circuits/STU's

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2011

      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 7/8/11 9:59 PM, OZOB99 wrote:
      > >
      > > > From what I've seen on related documents, the STU family ran 2400bps
      > > > streams so most any 4 wire voice grade line would suffice; at 4800 "C"
      > > > conditioning(envelope& amplitude delay equalization) might be needed.
      > >
      > > > The older 50kb analog wideband was typically transported inter-city on a
      > > > L multiplex group slot with LWM wideband modems and terminating in a
      > > > KY-3 terminal at the customer's location.
      > >
      > > I'm confused to some extent. I was sure most STII/KY71's used leased lines;
      > > but I am equally sure they were also deployed overseas, so there must have
      > > been some inverse mux scheme & voice-grade circuit, plural.
      >
      > There were Autosevocom lines overseas & Canada so ST2 could have used to some extent but I don't know the milage limit.Autosevocom lines had "C3 conditioning", which was supposed to allow several voice grade encryption schemes to work.The STU-3 was supposed to work on 2 wire dial up lines also, but I understand it was problematic.
      >
      > Most if not all the primary secure phone lines from the NMCC/ANMCC & other locations to unified & selected commands were 50kb analog wideband in the pre digital days, some up until the 1990's.
      >

      > Some of the JSCAN/COPAN (voice grade) circuits had C conditioning to allow secure voice, but I've heard from reliable sources it was rarely,if ever used on these networks;but they paid the bill(big$) well into the 1980's.

      Here are the pages I had saved on COMSEC; some may be familiar like Jerry Proc's site & NSA site.

      Searching on KY-3 & KY-9 within these pages will yield history,details & photo's:

      www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_histories/history_comsec.pdf

      www.motherboard.tv/2010/5/18/from-kanye-to-jfk-how-the-vocoder-helped-save-the-world-literally--2

      www.globale-evolution.de/ostube/media/document/501.pdf

      www.nsa.gov/about/_files/cryptologic_heritage/publications/wwii/sigsaly_history.pdf

      www.jproc.ca/crypto

      This page has many recollections of the gear by users/techs:

      www.louisgervaisonline.com/pers/teltech223/page41.html