Survivable Low Freq Comm Sys - Hawes AFS

  • tdrss
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
      ALCON,

      If anyone is interested, the AF just posted a destruction report on the old Hawes Air Force Station SLFCS tower. 1140 pages (74 Mbytes)
      located at

      https://www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx
      - report is under MISCELLANEOUS\Hawes Radio Relay Station

      SLFCS was the backbone of SAC's long range radio communication to bombers, launch control centers and command posts. There were two 3000' towers, one at Hawes AFS (Hinkley, California) and Silver Creek, Nebraska.

      Hawes' tower was demolished in 1986, but the bunker remained until 2008 (2009?). A sad note was the murders of two youths inside the bunker who frequented the abandoned structure for parties and raves. The AF took responsibility for razing the bunker and returning the land to nominal status.

      -Joe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tdrss" <tdrss@...> wrote:

        > ALCON,
        >
        > If anyone is interested, the AF just posted a destruction report on the old Hawes Air Force Station SLFCS tower. 1140 pages (74 Mbytes)
        > located at
        >
        > https://www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx
        > - report is under MISCELLANEOUS\Hawes Radio Relay Station

        I found several interesting documents in this depository in a cursory search(would take many hours to explore all);including a chronological history of various projects mentioned in this forum, including SLFCS,PACCS,ERCS,SATIN;and a detailed evolution of airborne command posts:

        the link above(www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx),navigate to FOIA reading room,technical reports, weapons systems aquisition vol 2

        (I can't seem to get out of the frames with a specific URL)

        There is a reference to a proposed Deep Underground Support Center(DUSC) at Pawnee City NE and Cripple Creek CO; and an interim 18 car train command post near Omaha.
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2011
          Joe-
          I didn't have time to register and access the USAF FOIA site, but wondered...are you sure about those two THREE THOUSAND foot towers? To the best of my knowledge, the tallest tower (steel, guyed) ever constructed was 2,063' above ground. Did you mean two three HUNDRED footers, or possibly mean 3,000 feet tower top AMSL, or 300 Meters?

          Tom Scanlan

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tdrss" <tdrss@...> wrote:

          > ALCON,
          >
          > If anyone is interested, the AF just posted a destruction report on the old Hawes Air Force Station SLFCS tower. 1140 pages (74 Mbytes)
          > located at
          >
          > https://www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx
          > - report is under MISCELLANEOUS\Hawes Radio Relay Station
          >
          > SLFCS was the backbone of SAC's long range radio communication to bombers, launch control centers and command posts. There were two 3000' towers, one at Hawes AFS (Hinkley, California) and Silver Creek, Nebraska.
          >
          > Hawes' tower was demolished in 1986, but the bunker remained until 2008 (2009?). A sad note was the murders of two youths inside the bunker who frequented the abandoned structure for parties and raves. The AF took responsibility for razing the bunker and returning the land to nominal status.
          >
          > -Joe

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2011
            In the 1980's I worked Microwave Toll in the area of Hawes. (Mojave, California City, Boron, Kramer Junction, Hawes etc...) I remember that tower and it was tall !

            at the time we referred to it as a 1200 footer.

            Jim

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomandsue@...> wrote:

            > Joe-
            > I didn't have time to register and access the USAF FOIA site, but wondered...are you sure about those two THREE THOUSAND foot towers? To the best of my knowledge, the tallest tower (steel, guyed) ever constructed was 2,063' above ground. Did you mean two three HUNDRED footers, or possibly mean 3,000 feet tower top AMSL, or 300 Meters?
            >
            > Tom Scanlan
            >
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tdrss" <tdrss@> wrote:
            > >
            > > ALCON,
            > >
            > > If anyone is interested, the AF just posted a destruction report on the old Hawes Air Force Station SLFCS tower. 1140 pages (74 Mbytes)
            > > located at
            > >
            > > https://www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx
            > > - report is under MISCELLANEOUS\Hawes Radio Relay Station
            > >
            > > SLFCS was the backbone of SAC's long range radio communication to bombers, launch control centers and command posts. There were two 3000' towers, one at Hawes AFS (Hinkley, California) and Silver Creek, Nebraska.
            > >
            > > Hawes' tower was demolished in 1986, but the bunker remained until 2008 (2009?). A sad note was the murders of two youths inside the bunker who frequented the abandoned structure for parties and raves. The AF took responsibility for razing the bunker and returning the land to nominal status.
            > >
            > > -Joe

          • Facility 406 DM09
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2011
              "In the 1980's I worked Microwave Toll in the area of Hawes. (Mojave,
              California City, Boron, Kramer Junction, Hawes etc...)"

              Speaking of which...

              About fifteen years ago I was on an east-west road in the Rosamond area,
              MAYBE Quartz Hill, west of Hwy 138, I think and on the south side of the
              road was a typical
              little brick TELCO looking building. On the west side of the building was a
              small tower about 20' high. On this was two offset-fed parababolic antennas
              mounted upside
              down, the feed was on top. They were fixed and pointing east-west, the
              radiation angle at about the horizon.

              Any ideas what this could be?

              Kurt
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
                not a clue.

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Facility 406 DM09" <facility_406@...> wrote:

                > About fifteen years ago I was on an east-west road in the Rosamond area,
                > MAYBE Quartz Hill, west of Hwy 138, I think and on the south side of the
                > road was a typical
                > little brick TELCO looking building. On the west side of the building was a
                > small tower about 20' high. On this was two offset-fed parababolic antennas
                > mounted upside
                > down, the feed was on top. They were fixed and pointing east-west, the
                > radiation angle at about the horizon.
                >
                > Any ideas what this could be?
                >
                > Kurt

              • Facility 406 DM09
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
                  I might have a picture of it, but it would have been taken around 1996 and
                  might be buried. If I can dig it up, I'll post it to the group site.

                  Kurt