LERG, CLONES, etc. (Re: More, re: DC CO's)

  • Mark J. Cuccia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2011
      On Wed, 6/29/11, Sam Etler <etler at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

      > I think the majority of us who care about switching systems on this
      > list know what the LERG is for. Unfortunately that is often the only
      > source many of us have for figuring out the physical address for a
      > CLLI code. Unless someone has the Telcordia / BSP CLLI decoder for
      > DC (BR-795-109-100) there's no other good sources other than first
      > hand knowledge.
      > Speaking of, if anyone has 795-109-100 in any of its forms I bet it
      > would be a somewhat interesting document to skim through.
      > sam

      I don't think that Telcordia/Bellcore publishes individual geographic
      specific module CLLI documents anymore. They seem to have published
      these at least through 2003, maybe even 2004.

      The "Bell System Practice" document coding number of the form:

      BR-795-[xxx]-100 and BR-751-401-[xxx]

      are (WERE) for geographic-specific modules of CLLIs, as published by
      AT&T pre-divestiture (BSP was used instead of BR), and Bellcore/
      Telcordia post-divesiture (using 'BR').

      (Bellcore/Telcordia, AT&T, Telecom Canada, etc. did "share" a document
      coding format post-divestiture for what "USED" to be knwon as
      "Bell System Practices").

      The BR-751-401-[xxx] documents are (WERE) strictly city/state or
      city/prov or city/carib-island or city/country specific, etc, listing
      all of the uniquely assigned Common Language "four+two character"
      strings for locations and such, but this did NOT go into individual
      switches or other network elements.

      The BR-795-[xxx]-100 documents are (WERE) full documents for each
      city or province or carib-island or country, etc., listing "all"
      assigned and currently active CLLIs down to the switch or other
      network element, the full eleven character CLLI code.

      The [xxx] was specific for a state, province, Caribbean island,
      country, ocean/sea, or "outer space" (communications satellite in
      earth orbit have eleven character CLLIs, "SATTEO-----", the first
      four letters for the "location", SATT refers to Satellite, the next
      two char's for the geo-political entity, EO, means "earth orbit").

      CLLIs can be assigned to just about any telecom network element
      anywhere in the world, not just the North American Numbering Plan or

      Also note that the LERG is strictly for currently active switching
      elements and many (but not all) network points of interconnection.
      But even currently active switching elements of certain service
      providers are not necessarily going to be included in the LERG if its
      for "private" functions of a service provider. AT&T-LL doesn't
      necessarily include all of its 4Es in the LERG. (Actually BIRRDS,
      which is the database that the LERG is generated from; BIRRDS stands
      for Bellcore Interactive Rating and Routing Database System -- altho'
      its name might have slightly changed since Bellcore changed its name
      to Telcordia though).

      CLONES is another Telcordia database, maintained by Telcordia Common
      Language. CLONES stands for Common Language Online Network Entry
      System. This database has "all" CLLIs regardless of what they are used
      for, even for passive elements in the network, such as microwave
      towers and such. The LERG (BIRRDS) doesn't usually have all of these
      other passive network elements as such, it's mainly for SWITCHING
      elements. Common Language also dates back to AT&T/Bell Labs from back
      in the 1960s-era, but it's purposes have grown considerably.

      Those BR-795-[xxx]-100 and BR-751-401-[xxx] Bellcore Practices
      documents (Bellcore/Telcordia versions of old pre-1984 Bell System
      Practices) that are no longer being published as individual geographic
      specific modules listing CLLIs or partial CLLIs, were generated out of
      the master CLONES database, just like the LERG/NNAG/NNACL, etc. are
      generated out of the BIRRDS database.

      Older network switches (old 4As, XBTandems, 5XBs, retired 1AESSes,
      etc. are usually removed from the BIRRDS/LERG/etc. and CLONES when or
      sometime shortly after being retired.

      But there are some older AT&T-LL inventory documents and network
      routing/rating/numbering documents floating around, where one can
      compile a list of all of the old 4As, XBTandems, etc.

      There's the annual Distance Dialing Co-Ordinating Handbook which is
      an inventory listing of toll switches throughout the US/Canada/
      Caribbean and even a few in Mexico (which handled cross-border
      US <-> Mexico traffic), and CLLIs began to appear in those documents
      in the mid-1970s.

      Then there's the Traffic Routing Guide, Distance Dialing Reference
      Guide, and Operating Rate & Route Guide. These AT&T-LL day-to-day
      routing documents are basically what the LERG/BIRRDS of Bellcore/
      Telcordia is today. Again, old retired switches and such are usually
      removed from these documents over time.

      BTW, some of you might already know the re Telcrodia, but for those
      who haven't heard yet... here is what I posted to some other groups
      recently regarding new Area Codes, but regarding Telcordia:

      ... also, note that Ericsson has recently made a bid to buy Telocrdia;
      I don't know what this will mean for the TRA and other "standards"
      functions of Telcordia, nor do I know exactly which regulatory bodies
      will have jurisdiction over this takeover or merger ...

      Yep, earlier this month (June), Ericsson and Telcordia jointly
      announced that Ericsson has made a bid to buy Telcordia in a CASH
      transaction. I assume that the DOJ/FTC/etc. will need to approve, as
      well as the SEC. But I don't know what involvement the FCC will have
      for approval.

      Ericsson is an equipment manufacturer, landline and wireless
      switching. But I don't know if they still make customer terminal
      equipment. (I think that someone else acquired the licensing for
      making modern replicas of "Ericafons", those futuristic one-piece
      phones that Ericsson first came out with in the late 1950s, popular
      in Ericsson's home base of Sweden and in non-Bell territory in the
      US back in the old "Maw Bell says you can ONLY have telco provided
      Western Electric phones in your home" days).

      I think that Ericsson might have owned or had an interest in the
      local/toll telcos in Sweden at one time or another, but I don't know
      if they do today.

      The press releases say that Telcordia is a "software development
      company", but Telcordia (formerly Bellcore) is MORE than that -- they
      are a STANDARDS body, an IMPARTIAL telco industry SUPPORT body as
      well! I don't know how this will all play out with Ericsson's intent
      to purchase Telcordia.

      About a year or two ago, Sprint (I don't know if its the LD-side, or
      the wireless Sprint-Nextel side) contracted for Ericsson to handle
      Sprint's network routings and translations! There could be some
      conflict-of-interest here if Telcordia is completely taken over by
      Ericsson, due to the telco industry standards functions of Telcordia
      (which date back to 1984 divestiture, when AT&T spun these functions
      off into what became Bellcore).

      These are the major telco standards functions of Bellcore/Telcordia:

      - The BIRRDS/LERG/etc. function called TRA (Traffic Routing Admin);

      - CLONES/Common Language (CLLI codes, etc);

      - RAO Assignments (these are Revenue Accounting Office codes, used by
      the North American telco industry since pre-1984 under AT&T-LL, for
      managing transfers of money between AT&T, the BOCs, and independent
      telcos, now other LD carriers, CLECs, etc., for billing of calls that
      traverse across different telco networks);

      - SS7 point code assignments, Bellcore/Telcordia handles the standard
      assignments of these codes for SS7 management and routing in the
      North American telephone network.

      Numbering (NANPA - area codes, dialing code assignments, office codes,
      and so forth) was spun out from Bellcore in 1997/98, to Lockheed-
      Martin, but they sold this off to NeuStar/Warburg-Pincus in 1999/2000,
      since there was a new "conflict of interest" issue w/r/t Lockheed-
      Martin's possible new ownership of communications satellites as part
      of Lockheed-Martin's involvement in aero-space.

      Certain other standards functions of the pre-1984 AT&T-LL/etc. were
      spun out as well, to other 1984-new entities such as the YPA, NECA,
      and ESCA-now-ATIS. But in addition to the ones above mentioned,
      Bellcore also assumed some other generic technical standards.

      Software development "itself" can be considered competitive, and there
      "shouldn't" be any conflicts w/r/t Ericsson's plan to buy Telcordia.
      But the STANDARDS functions of Telcordia (that date back to pre-1984
      AT&T-LL), as well as the Sprint/Ericsson venture, might possibly be
      considered conflicts-of-interest.

      I guess we'll see what happens over the next several months.

      Anyhow, the BR-795-[xxx]-100/etc. documents are no longer published.
      And both the CLONES itself, and the BIRRDS/LERG/etc. might or might
      not necessarily have "all" CLLIs of interest, esp. if one is looking
      for historical information of switches that have long since been
      retired. HOWEVER, there ARE old numbering/routing/switching/network/
      etc. documents floating around out there which have these old CLLIs
      of long-discontinued/retired switches. Also, the BIRRDS/LERG/etc.
      doesn't necessarily have all current "non-switching" CLLIs (i.e.,
      CLLIs of "passive network elements"), and even CLLIs of active
      switches aren't all necessarily in the LERG/BIRRDS/etc.