PA station on top of the world..

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 6, 2001
      Long time ago, I came back across PA from Aberdeen. We were in a
      20 y.o. ex-school bus with enough major problems to write a course
      for mechanics. (Overheated, lost the hydraulic clutch line, air
      brakes failed when the auto-bleeder became manual, no speedometer
      [we used a surplus tube-type police radar off the pavement..] and
      could not get the 35' long linkage to let us into 2nd.......)

      We had a load of high tech surplus...

      At Breezewood, we decided to avoid the PA Pike and opted for the
      parallel state route (?US40?) instead; that way, we were better
      able to hitch to the inevitable parts store.

      While going over the top of the world, we passed a Long Lines
      station perched up there.

      Anyone able to ID this installation from this skimpy data?

    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 6, 2001
        A visitor to my Long Lines web site contributed a recent photo of the AT&T
        station and tower at John Tom Hill, near Glastonbury, CT - one of the
        stations on the 1947 Boston-NYC experimental route.

        http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/John_Tom_Hill/johntomhill.jpg

        Albert
      • Mike Jacobs
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 6, 2001
          If it was a big station with 2 towers, it is Jennerstown. I was there
          a few weeks ago, but it was so foggy that none of my exterior pics
          came out. Neat place, 2 big buildings. I will have to get back on a
          clear day and snap some better pics. It is an American Tower site
          now.

          Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
          Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
          Penn State University
          State College, PA
        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001
            Unnamed Administration sources reported that Mike Jacobs said:

            > If it was a big station with 2 towers, it is Jennerstown. I was there
            > a few weeks ago, but it was so foggy that none of my exterior pics
            > came out. Neat place, 2 big buildings. I will have to get back on a
            > clear day and snap some better pics. It is an American Tower site
            > now.

            Yes, that was the name. It *was* a big station.
            Thanks.

          • Paxton Heckman
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001

              This tower is on my list to visit. In this view, the tower does not look that tall, but looking from Route 9 or I91, you would think that its the biggest thing around. I believe there is another tower right next to it of the same size, or at least looks that way from a distance.

                albertjlafrance@... wrote:

              A visitor to my Long Lines web site contributed a recent photo of the AT&T
              station and tower at John Tom Hill, near Glastonbury, CT - one of the
              stations on the 1947 Boston-NYC experimental route.

              http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/John_Tom_Hill/johntomhill.jpg

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

            • hritz
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001
                I've been to the Jennerstown site. It is actually on US RT-30.

                Question: Since the facility there is so big, could it possibly have been
                one of the AT&T facilities that contained video recording systems to
                delay the West Coast television microwave feeds?

                Kevin J. Hritz, W3QD

              • ozob99@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 7, 2001
                  --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "hritz" <hritz@e...> wrote:
                  > I've been to the Jennerstown site. It is actually on US RT-30.
                  >
                  > Question: Since the facility there is so big, could it possibly have
                  been
                  > one of the AT&T facilities that contained video recording systems to
                  > delay the West Coast television microwave feeds?
                  >
                  > Kevin J. Hritz, W3QD

                  I'm not aware that AT&T ever did any recording;delay feeds were either
                  a seperate channel or the network stations did the recording...any
                  evidence of this?

                  dead....................................20915-1433

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 30, 2001
                    According to a Dec. 1970 route map, there are two sites in close proximity:
                    John Tom Hill and Glastonbury. John Tom Hill talks to its original 1947
                    destinations of Spindle Hill and Bald Hill, plus Windsor Locks and
                    Springfield, MA. Glastonbury talks to Hartford, Manchester, Lebanon, and
                    Windsor Locks.

                    Albert

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 30, 2001
                      What's in Windsor Locks? I am unaware of anything in
                      that town, as I work for the PD. Any clues?

                      albertjlafrance@... wrote: According to a Dec.
                      Time, packy41@... writes:> This tower is on my
                      list to visit. In this view, the tower does not look
                      that > tall, but looking from Route 9 or I91, you
                      would think that its the biggest > thing around. I
                      believe there is another tower right next to it of the
                      same > size, or at least looks that way from a
                      distance.Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENTYour use of
                      Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      Service.

                      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4 7:49 AM
                        I'm not familiar with the area, but I haven't heard of anything unusual
                        there. The microwave configuration does appear unusual: the only shots from
                        Windsor Locks go to two stations very close to each other, though on
                        different routes.

                        Albert

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4 1:08 PM
                          > What's in Windsor Locks?

                          Was that not the home of the Electric Boat Co;
                          and thus a major sub base....?

                        • Paxton Heckman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 4 7:40 PM
                            Nope, thats Groton, CT. Windsor Locks has the Bradley
                            International Airport. Thats the only place that I can
                            think of that a path would go to, however I have not
                            seen any antenna's at the airport that would support
                            this. I am sure they could have been taken down a long
                            time ago.

                            --- David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                            > > What's in Windsor Locks?
                            >
                            > Was that not the home of the Electric Boat Co;
                            > and thus a major sub base....?
                            >
                            > --
                            > A host is a host from coast to
                            > coast.................wb8foz@...
                            > & no one will talk to a host that's
                            > close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
                            > Unless the host (that isn't
                            > close).........................pob 1433
                            > is busy, hung or
                            > dead....................................20915-1433

                            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                          • Blake Bowers
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 4 9:30 PM
                              Nope, not in Windsor Locks. Windsor locks is in the north
                              part of the state.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 5 12:39 PM
                                --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Blake Bowers <bbowers@t...> wrote:
                                > Nope, not in Windsor Locks. Windsor locks is in the north
                                > part of the state.

                                was'nt this the 1 time home of hamilton-standard aircraft(props)?..

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 5 2:33 PM
                                  Hamilton Standard (now Hamilton Sunstrand, still part
                                  of United Technolgies) is based in East Hartford
                                  and Windsor Locks. They have a few good size plants
                                  around here. The HS in Windsor Locks still makes
                                  aircraft parts, as well as the spacesuits, and space
                                  toilets, and is directly across from the airport. What
                                  is neat is that they still have the jet engine backup
                                  generators for power outages. They are pretty cool.

                                  Checking the FCC records, they have/had some HF
                                  freq's, but I find no current MW freq's. This town is
                                  only about 11 square miles, and I cannot find any
                                  evidence of any other towers here, as its mostly
                                  residental here.

                                  I am still looking for any information about the
                                  Durham towers if anyone has found out about them. My
                                  pictures of them should be here by the end of the week
                                  when they get deveopled.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 31, 2001
                                    I was out and about yesterday, and I found a tower
                                    that I did not find on any AT&T route maps that I have
                                    seen. This is in Killingworth CT (not Killingly in
                                    which there is one). It had 2 pairs of horns, and
                                    looking at the tower itself, along the supports it
                                    looks like there either was more horns at one time, or
                                    they left room for expansion as waveguide supports
                                    were on at least two sides of the tower, which I have
                                    not seen on a tower before. There was small concreate
                                    hardened building along it, and is now owned by
                                    American Tower (site 88013). Does anyone have any info
                                    on this tower? I grabbed a couple of pics that I will
                                    upload when they are developed.

                                    As a side note, there were still some bell equipment
                                    mounted on the wall, along with some call sign data
                                    (which I didn't have anything to right with) and some
                                    other coldwar era knick naks.

                                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                                  • joecheck@snet.net
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                                      I don't have the exact details about what that tower was used for, but I
                                      can probably find out from someone who worked there. There is a cabinet in
                                      the back of the building that belonged to the local telco for 2-way
                                      communications, UHF I believe. I think that was one of the unmanned sites
                                      in Connecticut. I vaguely remember seeing a route map at one of the sites,
                                      I'll look for it in my travels.

                                      I work at many of the old AT&T sites, as the company I now work for leases
                                      tower space from ATC. Some of the buildings, such as the Durham/Haddam
                                      site, are quite impressive. You could open a Walmart in that
                                      building.... ;-) I also used to work from a company that leased space at
                                      the Cheshire underground facility. That was an amazing place.

                                      Joe

                                      Message: 1

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                                        Yeah, I have been up to the Durham site, and thats
                                        really impressive. I would love to see the inside of
                                        it. Is/was there any of the orignal equipment left in
                                        the building when ATC took it over?

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                          The Durham site was kind of a hub site for parts and was manned during the
                                          day shift. Most of the spare parts and equipment has been removed from the
                                          site, but some of the big stuff is still around. The most impressive thing
                                          left is the two diesel generators that are still in the building. Each is
                                          a 550KW unit, driven by a diesel engine that was the same type used in
                                          train switching locomotives. That would make a combined output of over one
                                          megawatt of power, 3 phase! I understand that AT&T tried to sell them at
                                          one time, but it would be necessary to knock out the back wall to get them
                                          out. If you ever saw the construction of one of these hardened buildings,
                                          you would see why that would be quite a job.

                                          The building is massive, well over 10,000 square feet in size. It has
                                          several basement areas and a second floor. There is an electric toilet,
                                          water well in the basement, air filters to keep the employees alive during
                                          a nuclear attack, etc. A super bomb shelter if there ever was one. There
                                          were spools of flexible wave guide for emergency repairs and even a spare
                                          tower or two were stored somewhere on the East Coast.

                                          Joe