Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 3712

  • Doug Humphrey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
      On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:14 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > A 50 year old building (started out much smaller) and now 30K square feet in
      > the middle of no where. Add beer. Add imagination. I don't hardly believe
      > it would be surprising if the crew "heard" something as they camp out there.
      >
      > The last thing I need is anyone putting the site on TV for such silly stuff.
      > That would attract every loon from hundreds of miles away.

      yeah, and when they don't find a ghost, they will find your copper

      doug
    • ajbtelecom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Doug Humphrey <doug@...> wrote:

        > yeah, and when they don't find a ghost, they will find your copper
        >
        > doug

        I was thinking the same thing. Here is a pic that shows just how ruthless copper thieves can be, taken at a heavily vandalized and stripped microwave station in the Black Mountains of Arizona:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazzlayne/4137353516/in/set-72157622753317803#

        That ribbon of metal on the ground next to the crossarm is the shielding from the transformer winding. This is an example of what a bad economy, high copper prices, and a craving for meth can lead to: Unwinding a transformer core in the hot sun, and probably getting PCB oil all over themselves in the process.

        Check out the rest of the flickr set for more pics of the same station:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazzlayne/sets/72157622753317803/with/4137341990/

        This is at least the third time in that last few months that we have linked to Chazz Layne's photo stream on flickr. We should make Chazz an honorary member of the list, if he isn't already. One of the coolest streams ever on flickr, IMHO.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
          Probably some of the worse I have seen.

          Lots of sites have their entry service pulled, a rather infamous family of
          thieves that often read this mailing list pulled a bunch of them. Never
          have seen a transformer pulled like that though.

          Don't take your organs to heaven,
          heaven knows we need them down here!