GWEN and AMBER

  • tdrss
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
      A distracting subject line with a relevant cold war comms focus...

      I just found this document on Defense Technical Information Service about using AM stations as a redundant communication system called AMBER (AM Broadcast Emergency Relay). This DARPA report was written in 1990, but the technology was tested during the late 1980s.

      http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a237031.pdf

      After that conversation with the mysterious Kirtland AFB scientist, this AMBER concept is what came to mind regarding GWEN. While I didn't expect GWEN to broadcast Casey Kasem's America's Top 40, it was an interesting thought to have AM stations broadcasting EAMs pre/trans/post nuclear strike.

      -Joe
    • tdrss
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
        Snippet from DTIC doc:

        "Another system, known as GWEN (Ground Wave Emergency Network), bears a resemblance to AMBER. The original concept of GWEN was, in fact, identical to that of AMBER. However, its military mission (principally emergency action message (EAM) dissemination)
        and the associated requirement for physical and electronic survivability soon led the GWEN system in a different direction. It operates at about 200 kHz using only groundwave propagation.
        Also, it has its own hardened and heavily EMP-protected sites, antennas, and radio equipment. It consists currently of a thin-line version in which 60 nodes are distributed CONUS-wide in a figure-eight pattern serving the Commander in Chief, Strategic Air Command
        (CINCSAC)."

        -Joe

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tdrss" <tdrss@...> wrote:

        > A distracting subject line with a relevant cold war comms focus...
        >
        > I just found this document on Defense Technical Information Service about using AM stations as a redundant communication system called AMBER (AM Broadcast Emergency Relay). This DARPA report was written in 1990, but the technology was tested during the late 1980s.
        >
        > http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a237031.pdf
        >
        > After that conversation with the mysterious Kirtland AFB scientist, this AMBER concept is what came to mind regarding GWEN. While I didn't expect GWEN to broadcast Casey Kasem's America's Top 40, it was an interesting thought to have AM stations broadcasting EAMs pre/trans/post nuclear strike.
        >
        > -Joe

      • Facility 406 DM09
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
          "stations as a redundant communication system called AMBER (AM Broadcast
          Emergency Relay). This DARPA report was written in 1990, but the technology
          was tested during the"

          Speaking of which...

          I've been noting a LOT of EBS or SAMES type alrerts this past week on
          various radio stations with no message following, any ideas?

          Kurt