Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Old Comm lines

  • Tom Scanlan
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1 6:31 AM
      Sam-
      That being the case, I'd sure vote for the automated direct-to-PDF mode of delivering the docs to those of us that so desire. Cost?

      Tom S

      Message 2 of 27 , May 1 7:10 AM
        Cost is nothing other than my or someone else's time and postage to
        physically get the documents to the person doing the scanning and then
        back to the owner. In the best case scenario with documents of a
        standard paper size, black and white text and no staples to be removed
        1000 pages takes maybe 15 minutes. If there's black and white photos
        or pages in color it takes a while longer because the pages need to be
        scanned in smaller batches due to file size limitations. If there's
        multiple page sizes (eg, US legal or ledger size foldouts) that can
        add to the time as well.

        Once everything is scanned assembling the PDFs takes a couple minutes
        to an hour or so depending on the number of files involved and if
        there were different page sizes or lots of photos interspersed with
        plain text pages.

        If the documents are bound at the edges then it takes a lot longer
        unless the bindings are chopped which is always a gut wrenching
        decision.

        sam

        On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:
        > Sam-
        > That being the case, I'd sure vote for the automated direct-to-PDF mode of delivering the docs to those of us that so desire.  Cost?
        >

        > Tom S

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1 9:57 AM
          Someone mentioned Kinko's charging .07 for scanning.

          If that is the case, I would offer to paypal you $50.00 hoping others would
          do the same to get the ball rolling. 440 pages should be about 30 bucks, if
          we had a few people kick in we could get your expenses covered real quick.
          Hopefully a bit more for your fuel and time.

          Let me know what paypal address to use. I am most intersted in the midwest,
          centered on Missouri.

          I would just like a copy of the finished product, emailed or CD.

          What do you think?

          Don't take your organs to heaven,
          heaven knows we need them down here!

          Message 4 of 27 , May 1 1:18 PM
            Blake et al-
            I'm in, too. $50 is not unreasonable. If others would chip in, we'd be able to have the entire set - all of CONUS - which would be a real addition to Albert's already legendary contributions on his AT&T LL site!

            Tom S

            > In the '60s and '70s AT&T compiled FCC microwave license records into
            > Microwave Catalogs, one for each region. Each one contained detailed
            > listings and maps for microwave licenses including call sign, lat/long,
            > frequencies, path distance & azimuth, equipment, etc. It was organized
            > into tabbed sections for AT&T routes, associated Bell companies, and other
            > common carriers. I have a distribution list that indicated that they
            > probably printed 100 or so copies of each one which were distributed to
            > various engineers and supervisors within the company. AT&T later went to
            > putting the microwave info on microfiche, the earlier paper copies were
            > probably tossed out at that time, so I might have the only ones still in
            > existence. I have a complete set except for the Southern region.
            >
            > The Microwave Catalogs are not available on-line as far as I know, I wish
            > they were. It would be a huge job to scan and post them, the Central Area
            > book has 440 pages for example. If someone wanted a copy of one or more
            > of the catalogs I would be willing to take them to Kinko's and have them
            > make a copy if they pick up the cost of doing so. In the mean time, I can
            > look up specific info and post it in response to discussions about
            > microwave routes and locations on this list, and have done so many times
            > in the past.
            >
            > As for the UP info, contact me off list, I'd be happy to copy the info on
            > those specific routes and mail it to you. I think you have my email from
            > earlier correspondence, if not let me know.
            >
            > Terry
            >

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Terry-
            >> Great! Really appreciate the info! Could you reference any maps for the
            >> route that I could see? Haven't found it on Albert's site..... Also, I'm
            >> not familiar with the 1972 Central Area Microwave Catalog....available
            >> online?
            >>

            >> Yeah, I did see the "GTE" logo on the Antigo building....thx for the
            >> background on this site, too!
            >>

            >> Tom S

          • s82917
            Message 5 of 27 , May 3 8:27 AM
              They are not bound like a book. Most are assembled together with Ibico type plastic combs, and two of them are in steel two ring binders.

              The biggest one is the October 1968 Midwestern Area catalog. It measures 3" thick from cover to cover, must be well over 1000 pages, although most pages are printed single sided.

              I have a total of 7 catalogs.

              Terry

              Message 6 of 27 , May 3 10:52 AM
                The plastic combs can be a bit annoying because they have a tendency
                to become brittle with age. I have a few things from the 1950s and
                1960s that are broken in many places.

                sam

                Message 7 of 27 , May 7 10:05 AM
                  stop mail

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 8 10:27 PM
                    On 5/3/11 10:52 AM, Sam Etler wrote:
                    > The plastic combs can be a bit annoying because they have a tendency
                    > to become brittle with age. I have a few things from the 1950s and
                    > 1960s that are broken in many places.

                    There are machines that spread same and install/remove. So worst case, buy
                    a new comb, I would think.
                  • BobS
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 9 5:02 AM
                      With a new comb, I've never had any problem removing the old one and fitting the new one by hand (assumimg they're the type usually used in the UK, with rectangular slots cut in the document).

                      regards,

                      Bob

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                      > On 5/3/11 10:52 AM, Sam Etler wrote:
                      > > The plastic combs can be a bit annoying because they have a tendency
                      > > to become brittle with age. I have a few things from the 1950s and
                      > > 1960s that are broken in many places.
                      > >

                      > There are machines that spread same and install/remove. So worst case, buy
                      > a new comb, I would think.

                    • Mike Cowen
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 10 6:21 PM
                        Actually even easier since most Kinko's (FedEx
                        Office) locations have the equipment on
                        hand. Replacing the comb should be very
                        inexpensive (and considerably stronger).

                        Mike

                        At 05:02 AM 5/9/2011, you wrote:

                        >With a new comb, I've never had any problem
                        >removing the old one and fitting the new one by
                        >hand (assumimg they're the type usually used in
                        >the UK, with rectangular slots cut in the document).
                        >
                        >regards,
                        >
                        >Bob
                        >
                        >--- In
                        ><mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,
                        >David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 5/3/11 10:52 AM, Sam Etler wrote:
                        > > > The plastic combs can be a bit annoying because they have a tendency
                        > > > to become brittle with age. I have a few things from the 1950s and
                        > > > 1960s that are broken in many places.
                        > > >

                        > > There are machines that spread same and install/remove. So worst case, buy
                        > > a new comb, I would think.

                      • chp5132
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 15 2:01 PM
                          I would also be interested in them. I would be willing to contribute$50.00 too.

                          Lance R

                        • Lowry Brock
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 15 2:43 PM
                            I would be interested too. Count me in for $50 as well.

                            Lowry

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 15 3:16 PM
                              Ditto

                              Ken

                              On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM, chp5132 <lrettick@...> wrote:

                              > I would also be interested in them. I would be willing to contribute$50.00
                              > too.
                              >
                              > Lance R
                              >
                              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Blake et al-
                              > > I'm in, too. $50 is not unreasonable. If others would chip in, we'd be
                              > able to have the entire set - all of CONUS - which would be a real addition
                              > to Albert's already legendary contributions on his AT&T LL site!
                              > >

                              > > Tom S

                            • Jake
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 15 4:38 PM
                                Put me down for $50 as well.

                                Regards,
                                Jake

                                "Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do and what you want to be.
                                But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

                                "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

                                “Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value.” Francisco d'Anconia