Pop up antennas

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2011
      The Mass. Emergency Agency Bunker in Framingham, MA reportedly has two pop up antennas.

      http://coldwar-ct.com/MEMA_Bunker.html

      John
    • Jason Bourne
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2011
        awesome pics! I'd love to see some pics from the inside of the FEMA bunker in Maynard MA, especially since the national guard MP unit that I was assigned to as a medic once upon a time had the mission of providing security to the facility in the event of a national emergency. But of course I, along with most of the unit, never actually got to tour the place.

        The Mass. Emergency Agency Bunker in Framingham, MA reportedly has two pop up antennas.

        http://coldwar-ct.com/MEMA_Bunker.html

        John

      • Bill Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2011
          They had pop-up antennas. The last I knew they had been abandoned due to
          excessive rust and damage from age as well as the lack of repair parts.
          Been in the Maynard bunker several times. Very nice comm station. Apparently it
          had been fired up on a few ham freqs with the full 10 KW...

          Bill

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2011
            VERY cool!! I'm wondering if there were any video feed capabilities from this bunker? Microwave? Buried Coax, courtesy of NE Telephone or AT&T? Any interconnection at a TD-2 video equipped site, switchable at nearest staffed TOC? Anyone have any details?

            Tom Scanlan

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Jason Bourne <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

            > awesome pics! I'd love to see some pics from the inside of the FEMA bunker in Maynard MA, especially since the national guard MP unit that I was assigned to as a medic once upon a time had the mission of providing security to the facility in the event of a national emergency. But of course I, along with most of the unit, never actually got to tour the place.

          • Jason Bourne
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2011
              Is the Maynard FEMA bunker similar inside to the MEMA bunker? any armed presence at FEMA bunker?

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2011
                Jason, http://coldwar-ct.com also has decent pics from inside the Maynard facility. Look for the FEMA bunker link. Though it has been a couple of years since I was in there, it doesn't look like the place has changed much. It got a lot of use when the "main office" of FEMA Regional folks had to work from there a few years ago after being displaced by a fire at their office building in downtown Boston.

                Another "MEMA" (MARYLAND Emergency Management Agency, a former employer) also had a pop-up antenna at our old HQ at the Maryland State Police complex in Pikesville, MD. Like the ones Bill described in Mass, it had fallen into disuse when I was there in the mid-90s due to rust, age, water, etc. Maryland-MEMA is now at another location and I'm not sure if the State Police removed the old pop-up. Next time I am in the area I'll spin by and take a look and photos if it is still there.

                Regards,

                Mike