Re: NY Microwave Stations - WKNY-TV

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 31 8:50 PM
      And speaking of NY State microwave stations......got a question for anyone who might know. In 1955-56 as a teenager I installed TV antennas in the Hudson River Valley, including UHF antennas. One of hundreds of early UHF stations from that era that went on the air and quickly failed (because no one had UHF TV sets and converters had just started being sold) was WKNY-TV, Channel 66, in Kingston, NY. On Saturday afternoons WKNY carried CBS-TV's "Baseball Game of the Week". They could not have picked it up from NY City, because WCBS-TV didn't carry it because NY had local teams. Did WKNY-TV have a local loop from CBS via the TD-2 system? Hard to believe such a small station would, but had to ask. If it did, where was it switched from?

      Tom Scanlan

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Jason Bourne <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

      > thanks Jake, I'm still hoping to check out those places someday.

    • Craig Scott
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 4, 2011
        Eastern Microwave had been using an old NYS fire tower in the Helderberg Mtns.
        for years. It was either torn down or fell down. If you Google map: 362
        Pinnacle Rd., New Scotland NY , you can see the tower laying on the ground.
        This is also where most of the TV stations for the Albany, Schenectady and Troy
        market had their transmitters. Now digital, they share a tower.
        Craig
        Watervliet NY