RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

  • charlie Fargis
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
      I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
      A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
      And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
      I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.

      To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
      From: albert.lafrance@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:05:56 -0500
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

      I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes

      going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond

      area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.

      There's a 1970 route map at

      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html

      Albert

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
        > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
        > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
        >
        > There's a 1970 route map at
        > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
        >

        > Albert

        Also Arlington 2 & Wash 3.
      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
          I don't think that's what Albert meant to suggest; the maps definately suggest that there were two distinct cables (not so say they couldn't have shared the same ROW part of the way).

          /cpe

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, charlie Fargis <lackey91@...> wrote:

          > I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
          > A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
          > And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
          > I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.
          >
          > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
          > From: albert.lafrance@...
          > Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:05:56 -0500
          > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

          > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
          >
          > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
          >
          > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
          >

          > There's a 1970 route map at
          >
          > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
          >

          > Albert

        • charlie Fargis
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
            I worked in Engineering for this region and know more we cant talk about
            Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.
            Again diversity is a big thing in DC area. Also that drawing is not to scale.
            FYI, engineer, daw a line from Dranesville to Faulkner and you will be surprised to note
            IT DOESNT GO SOUTH. Well a little bit.

            To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            From: long-lines@...
            Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:54:58 +0000

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              On 3/1/11 10:57 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

              > Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.

              Not very much diversity, when you think of things like
              <http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/PipeLine/DCA10MP008/450413.pdf>
            • cpe122
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 27, 2012
                Looks like L1 and/or L3.

                /cpe

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 28, 2012
                  L3, probably to Monrovia or Faulkner; not many L4 Mains had L3 routes.