Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28 9:05 PM
      I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
      going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
      area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.

      There's a 1970 route map at
      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html

      Albert

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
        I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
        A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
        And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
        I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.

        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

          > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
          > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
          > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
          >
          > There's a 1970 route map at
          > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
          >

          > Albert

          Also Arlington 2 & Wash 3.
        • cpe122
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
            I don't think that's what Albert meant to suggest; the maps definately suggest that there were two distinct cables (not so say they couldn't have shared the same ROW part of the way).

            /cpe

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, charlie Fargis <lackey91@...> wrote:

            > I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
            > A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
            > And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
            > I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.
            >
            > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            > From: albert.lafrance@...
            > Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:05:56 -0500
            > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

            > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
            >
            > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
            >
            > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
            >

            > There's a 1970 route map at
            >
            > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
            >

            > Albert

          • charlie Fargis
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              I worked in Engineering for this region and know more we cant talk about
              Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.
              Again diversity is a big thing in DC area. Also that drawing is not to scale.
              FYI, engineer, daw a line from Dranesville to Faulkner and you will be surprised to note
              IT DOESNT GO SOUTH. Well a little bit.

              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              From: long-lines@...
              Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:54:58 +0000

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                On 3/1/11 10:57 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

                > Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.

                Not very much diversity, when you think of things like
                <http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/PipeLine/DCA10MP008/450413.pdf>
              • cpe122
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 27 7:14 PM
                  Looks like L1 and/or L3.

                  /cpe

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28 10:12 AM
                    L3, probably to Monrovia or Faulkner; not many L4 Mains had L3 routes.