Re: Curious about two sites

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 25, 2011
      If the triangular tower with the FM package is an extension of the original Type-B square tower, the interface between them would be interesting.

      Bing.com birds-eye view shows no tower standing at the notch:
      <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r1hy088ynw8p&lvl=18&dir=270&sty=b>

      - waw -

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

      > A photo of the orignal tower is at:
      >
      > http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm
      >
      > It is on the top of the hill and you can make out the two passive dishes if you look closely.
      >
      > I visited the site about 20 years ago when the dishes were missing but the dish aligment rings were still there.
      >
      > From the current aerials I am guessing what you see in Tim's photo:
      >
      >http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg
      >
      > is a 40? ft adapted tower section on top of the old microwave tower with the FM antennas attached to it. Without an onsite inspection I am guessing the tower joints just above the tree line are the top of the original tower.
      >
      > > Jason-
      > > I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
      > > Tom S

    • John
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 26, 2011
        Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
        http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html

        John
      • taskforceleader
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 26, 2011
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John" <ramsey@...> wrote:

          > Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
          > http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html
          >
          > John

          Interesting photo of the command center War Room inside the Notch. I have seen it before and always thought it was of the Notch, however a recent photo of Bldg 501 at Offutt posted by OZOB99 looks like the same place:

          http://tinyurl.com/4z85whg

          Same place? Or did they construct them that identical???