RE: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
      Sorry, forgot to provide a TinyURL:

      http://tinyurl.com/4ga3gtm

      From: Albert LaFrance [mailto:albert.lafrance@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:38 PM
      To: 'coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com'; 'longlinesretirees@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

      This was a repeater hut on one of the L cables heading south from the
      Dranesville, VA main station:

      http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Losing_the_Spirit_Shed_Washingt
      on_DC-116775864.html

    • cpe122
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
        Albert, do we know which route/hut this was?

        /cpe

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
          I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
          going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
          area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.

          There's a 1970 route map at
          http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html

          Albert

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
          , "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

          > This was a repeater hut on one of the L cables heading south from the
          > Dranesville, VA main station:

          http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Losing_the_Spirit_Shed_Washingt
          > on_DC-116775864.html
          >

          > Albert

        • charlie Fargis
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
            I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
            A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
            And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
            I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.

            To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
              > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
              > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
              >
              > There's a 1970 route map at
              > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
              >

              > Albert

              Also Arlington 2 & Wash 3.
            • cpe122
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                I don't think that's what Albert meant to suggest; the maps definately suggest that there were two distinct cables (not so say they couldn't have shared the same ROW part of the way).

                /cpe

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, charlie Fargis <lackey91@...> wrote:

                > I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
                > A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
                > And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
                > I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.
                >
                > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                > From: albert.lafrance@...
                > Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:05:56 -0500
                > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

                > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
                >
                > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
                >
                > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
                >

                > There's a 1970 route map at
                >
                > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
                >

                > Albert

              • charlie Fargis
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                  I worked in Engineering for this region and know more we cant talk about
                  Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.
                  Again diversity is a big thing in DC area. Also that drawing is not to scale.
                  FYI, engineer, daw a line from Dranesville to Faulkner and you will be surprised to note
                  IT DOESNT GO SOUTH. Well a little bit.

                  To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                  From: long-lines@...
                  Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:54:58 +0000

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                    On 3/1/11 10:57 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

                    > Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.

                    Not very much diversity, when you think of things like
                    <http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/PipeLine/DCA10MP008/450413.pdf>
                  • cpe122
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2012
                      Looks like L1 and/or L3.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 28, 2012
                        L3, probably to Monrovia or Faulkner; not many L4 Mains had L3 routes.