Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
      This was a repeater hut on one of the L cables heading south from the
      Dranesville, VA main station:

      http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Losing_the_Spirit_Shed_Washingt
      on_DC-116775864.html

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
        Sorry, forgot to provide a TinyURL:

        http://tinyurl.com/4ga3gtm

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
          Albert, do we know which route/hut this was?

          /cpe

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
            I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
            going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
            area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.

            There's a 1970 route map at
            http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html

            Albert

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>
            , "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

            > This was a repeater hut on one of the L cables heading south from the
            > Dranesville, VA main station:

            http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Losing_the_Spirit_Shed_Washingt
            > on_DC-116775864.html
            >

            > Albert

          • charlie Fargis
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
              A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
              And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
              I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.

              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
                > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
                > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
                >
                > There's a 1970 route map at
                > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
                >

                > Albert

                Also Arlington 2 & Wash 3.
              • cpe122
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                  I don't think that's what Albert meant to suggest; the maps definately suggest that there were two distinct cables (not so say they couldn't have shared the same ROW part of the way).

                  /cpe

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, charlie Fargis <lackey91@...> wrote:

                  > I have doubts but not precise knowledge.
                  > A common repeater hut for Mosely and Faulkner would remove diversity.
                  > And in and around DC area, diversity is almost always an issue.
                  > I knew the guy who would know, but as time marches on, no longer around.
                  >
                  > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: albert.lafrance@...
                  > Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:05:56 -0500
                  > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Former L-carrier repeater hut had become high school "Spirit Shed"

                  > I'm not sure, but I think the hut might have been a repeater on two routes
                  >
                  > going south from Dranesville: the main cable going to Moseley, VA (Richmond
                  >
                  > area), and a spur line going to Faulkner, MD.
                  >

                  > There's a 1970 route map at
                  >
                  > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/VA1970.html
                  >

                  > Albert

                • charlie Fargis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                    I worked in Engineering for this region and know more we cant talk about
                    Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.
                    Again diversity is a big thing in DC area. Also that drawing is not to scale.
                    FYI, engineer, daw a line from Dranesville to Faulkner and you will be surprised to note
                    IT DOESNT GO SOUTH. Well a little bit.

                    To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                    From: long-lines@...
                    Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:54:58 +0000

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                      On 3/1/11 10:57 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

                      > Those cables would have to be 50 feet or more apart for diversity and share no common manholes.

                      Not very much diversity, when you think of things like
                      <http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/PipeLine/DCA10MP008/450413.pdf>
                    • cpe122
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2012
                        Looks like L1 and/or L3.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 28, 2012
                          L3, probably to Monrovia or Faulkner; not many L4 Mains had L3 routes.