Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Curious about two sites

  • Jason Bourne
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
      Thanks Scott! Do you have any info on whether or not it was a Radar or other Air Defense site? Perhaps the Worcester Emergency Management Office is also using the facility at this time.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
        Jason-
        I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
        Tom S

        From: Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...>
        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 4:13 AM

        Sheldon-
        I ran the coordinates thru the FCC/FAA database and most likely the tower is that of WSRS(FM). This is an auxiliary transmitter for WSRS. WSRS is a Capstar station, and they also own WTAG(AM), both stations licensed to Worcester, MA. The main WSRS is 20Kw; this smaller WSRS backup plant is 49 meters high and has an non-DA antenna, ERP is 13.5Kw. A simple 20bay CP would easily do the job with a 20 Kw transmitter. This most likely is that stick.

        Tom Scanlan

        That antenna appears to be a two bay circular polarized FM broadcast antenna.

        73
        Sheldon

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 22, 2011
          Jason-
          I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
          Tom S

          Am I mistaken or is this tower on the summit of Bear Mountain in Hadley? I'm surprised that WSRS would have another tower so far from the studio, but entirely possible, especially if the WSRS predecessor was an EBS station or other critical communications site.

          I ran the coordinates thru the FCC/FAA database and most likely the tower is that of WSRS(FM). This is an auxiliary transmitter for WSRS. WSRS is a Capstar station, and they also own WTAG(AM), both stations licensed to Worcester, MA. The main WSRS is 20Kw; this smaller WSRS backup plant is 49 meters high and has an non-DA antenna, ERP is 13.5Kw. A simple 20bay CP would easily do the job with a 20 Kw transmitter. This most likely is that stick.

          Tom Scanlan

          That antenna appears to be a two bay circular polarized FM broadcast antenna.

          73
          Sheldon

          The West Boylston site sounds like Westover Comms Annex #2 (GLOBECOM), PIN 5903. I took photos a couple years ago (near the bottom of this page):

          http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/fifty.html

          The annex was active from 1958 to 1963. I do not know if it was a transmitter or a receiver. Location 42-20-57, 71-45-37.

          Can you provide lat/lon coordinates for the Worcester (Green Hill Park) location?

          Cheers,
          Scott Murdock

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

          > Just wondering if anyone knows the function/role of the former
          > communications facility on Temple Street in West Boylston, MA. I drove
          > out there last week and the DCR people told me that it had some military
          > connection to Westover during the 60s, but I found no signs of air vents
          > or any other tell-tale signs that are sometimes not removed/plowed over
          > when a facility is shut down. The other site I'm wondering about is near
          > Green Hill Park in Worchester (sp?) MA. I was there and learned that the
          > building has a hardened basement area and is the Office of Emergency
          > Management, but the person I spoke with mentioned that the site was an
          > Air Defense facility during the late 50s-early 60s but he did not know
          > exactly what it consisted of. Anyone know about these places? Thanks!

        • taskforceleader
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 25, 2011
            A photo of the orignal tower is at:

            http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm

            It is on the top of the hill and you can make out the two passive dishes if you look closely.

            I visited the site about 20 years ago when the dishes were missing but the dish aligment rings were still there.

            From the current aerials I am guessing what you see in Tim's photo:

            http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg

            is a 40? ft adapted tower section on top of the old microwave tower with the FM antennas attached to it. Without an onsite inspection I am guessing the tower joints just above the tree line are the top of the original tower.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

            > Jason-
            > I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
            > Tom S

          • Pj
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 25, 2011
              Is the photo in one of the links that shoots east to Peru in a MA Forest south of Adams(?) ?

              IIRC, it had a 1-665-xxxx number on the shelter. Same tower type as springfield and West Springfield.

              BTW: Gomez and Chadis says hi

            • widebandit
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 25, 2011
                If the triangular tower with the FM package is an extension of the original Type-B square tower, the interface between them would be interesting.

                Bing.com birds-eye view shows no tower standing at the notch:
                <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r1hy088ynw8p&lvl=18&dir=270&sty=b>

                - waw -

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

                > A photo of the orignal tower is at:
                >
                > http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm
                >
                > It is on the top of the hill and you can make out the two passive dishes if you look closely.
                >
                > I visited the site about 20 years ago when the dishes were missing but the dish aligment rings were still there.
                >
                > From the current aerials I am guessing what you see in Tim's photo:
                >
                >http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg
                >
                > is a 40? ft adapted tower section on top of the old microwave tower with the FM antennas attached to it. Without an onsite inspection I am guessing the tower joints just above the tree line are the top of the original tower.
                >
                > > Jason-
                > > I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
                > > Tom S

              • John
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 26, 2011
                  Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
                  http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html

                  John
                • taskforceleader
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 26, 2011
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John" <ramsey@...> wrote:

                    > Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
                    > http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html
                    >
                    > John

                    Interesting photo of the command center War Room inside the Notch. I have seen it before and always thought it was of the Notch, however a recent photo of Bldg 501 at Offutt posted by OZOB99 looks like the same place:

                    http://tinyurl.com/4z85whg

                    Same place? Or did they construct them that identical???