Re: [Milsurplus] Question(s) about TMC receivers

  • Nick England
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2011
      You can find the STR-5 sales brochure here -
      http://www.virhistory.com/tmc/tmc_pages/tmc_ssb_db/tmc_ssb_page.htm
      and the manual here
      http://www.virhistory.com/tmc/tmc_pages/tmc_manuals/tmc_commercial_manual_page.htm

      Here's my understanding:
      Lots of HF links were fixed frequency - Military and govt. RTTY &
      voice, the airlines overseas SSB channels, weather fax broadcasts,
      etc. So the STR-5 might show up at airports, weather bureaus, local
      and state emergency operations centers, embassies, as well as probably
      more esoteric places. In larger Comm Stations there'd be a separate
      receiver facility which might not be located where the operators were.
      Volume & maybe BFO tuning were remotely controlled.

      Normally they'd just leave a receiver at a particular frequency and
      select among receivers to change channels. A receiver frequency might
      be changed to make a substitute for maintenance purposes or perhaps
      for some frequency changes from summer to winter (just guessing at
      this one).

      FYI - here's a Navy comm station with a wall full of TMC's earlier FFR
      receiver, which was tunable but usually operated in crystal-controlled
      fixed frequency mode.
      http://www.navy-radio.com/rcvrs/frr49-02.jpg

      cheers,
      Nick K4NYW