Curious about two sites

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 20 12:31 PM
      Just wondering if anyone knows the function/role of the former
      communications facility on Temple Street in West Boylston, MA. I drove
      out there last week and the DCR people told me that it had some military
      connection to Westover during the 60s, but I found no signs of air vents
      or any other tell-tale signs that are sometimes not removed/plowed over
      when a facility is shut down. The other site I'm wondering about is near
      Green Hill Park in Worchester (sp?) MA. I was there and learned that the
      building has a hardened basement area and is the Office of Emergency
      Management, but the person I spoke with mentioned that the site was an
      Air Defense facility during the late 50s-early 60s but he did not know
      exactly what it consisted of. Anyone know about these places? Thanks!
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 20 10:44 PM
        The West Boylston site sounds like Westover Comms Annex #2 (GLOBECOM), PIN 5903. I took photos a couple years ago (near the bottom of this page):

        http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/fifty.html

        The annex was active from 1958 to 1963. I do not know if it was a transmitter or a receiver. Location 42-20-57, 71-45-37.

        Can you provide lat/lon coordinates for the Worcester (Green Hill Park) location?

        Cheers,
        Scott Murdock

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering if anyone knows the function/role of the former
        > communications facility on Temple Street in West Boylston, MA. I drove
        > out there last week and the DCR people told me that it had some military
        > connection to Westover during the 60s, but I found no signs of air vents
        > or any other tell-tale signs that are sometimes not removed/plowed over
        > when a facility is shut down. The other site I'm wondering about is near
        > Green Hill Park in Worchester (sp?) MA. I was there and learned that the
        > building has a hardened basement area and is the Office of Emergency
        > Management, but the person I spoke with mentioned that the site was an
        > Air Defense facility during the late 50s-early 60s but he did not know
        > exactly what it consisted of. Anyone know about these places? Thanks!

      • Jason Bourne
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 21 6:16 AM
          I'm sorry but I have no co-ordinates for the park.

          The West Boylston site sounds like Westover Comms Annex #2 (GLOBECOM), PIN 5903. I took photos a couple years ago (near the bottom of this page):

          http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/fifty.html

          The annex was active from 1958 to 1963. I do not know if it was a transmitter or a receiver. Location 42-20-57, 71-45-37.

          Can you provide lat/lon coordinates for the Worcester (Green Hill Park) location?

          Cheers,
          Scott Murdock

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

          > Just wondering if anyone knows the function/role of the former
          > communications facility on Temple Street in West Boylston, MA. I drove
          > out there last week and the DCR people told me that it had some military
          > connection to Westover during the 60s, but I found no signs of air vents
          > or any other tell-tale signs that are sometimes not removed/plowed over
          > when a facility is shut down. The other site I'm wondering about is near
          > Green Hill Park in Worchester (sp?) MA. I was there and learned that the
          > building has a hardened basement area and is the Office of Emergency
          > Management, but the person I spoke with mentioned that the site was an
          > Air Defense facility during the late 50s-early 60s but he did not know
          > exactly what it consisted of. Anyone know about these places? Thanks!

        • Sheldon Daitch
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 21 12:25 PM
            Scoot,

            re:

            http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg

            That antenna appears to be a two bay circular polarized FM broadcast antenna.

            73
            Sheldon

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 21 7:34 PM
              I was able to find the park, and I think the site there is Worcester Air National Guard Station. Created about 1957, possibly active until several years ago.

              I'm still hoping to find info on a GLOBECOM site near Worcester, probably a companion to the West Boylston site.

              Scott

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Jason Bourne <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

              > I'm sorry but I have no co-ordinates for the park.

            • Tom Scanlan
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 21 8:13 PM
                Sheldon-
                I ran the coordinates thru the FCC/FAA database and most likely the tower is that of WSRS(FM). This is an auxiliary transmitter for WSRS. WSRS is a Capstar station, and they also own WTAG(AM), both stations licensed to Worcester, MA. The main WSRS is 20Kw; this smaller WSRS backup plant is 49 meters high and has an non-DA antenna, ERP is 13.5Kw. A simple 20bay CP would easily do the job with a 20 Kw transmitter. This most likely is that stick.

                Tom Scanlan

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 22 3:29 AM
                  Tom,

                  thanks for the feedback.

                  Sheldon

                  I ran the coordinates thru the FCC/FAA database and most likely the tower is that of WSRS(FM). This is an auxiliary transmitter for WSRS. WSRS is a Capstar station, and they also own WTAG(AM), both stations licensed to Worcester, MA. The main WSRS is 20Kw; this smaller WSRS backup plant is 49 meters high and has an non-DA antenna, ERP is 13.5Kw. A simple 20bay CP would easily do the job with a 20 Kw transmitter. This most likely is that stick.

                  Tom Scanlan

                  That antenna appears to be a two bay circular polarized FM broadcast antenna.

                  73
                  Sheldon

                  ---

                • Jason Bourne
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 22 6:22 PM
                    Just got some more info from afriend of mine about Green Hill Park site in Worcester; he said it is a bunker for the Worcester Emergency Management and there was definately an Air Defense site at one time but he's not sure if it was a Gap-Filler or what it was. Sorry I don't have co-ordinates for it, but he said it is very interesting how the area is well plowed after every snowstorm.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 22 6:37 PM
                      Am I mistaken or is this tower on the summit of Bear Mountain in Hadley? I'm surprised that WSRS would have another tower so far from the studio, but entirely possible, especially if the WSRS predecessor was an EBS station or other critical communications site.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 22 6:40 PM
                        Thanks Scott! Do you have any info on whether or not it was a Radar or other Air Defense site? Perhaps the Worcester Emergency Management Office is also using the facility at this time.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 22 7:41 PM
                          Jason-
                          I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
                          Tom S

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 22 7:41 PM
                            Jason-
                            I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
                            Tom S

                            Am I mistaken or is this tower on the summit of Bear Mountain in Hadley? I'm surprised that WSRS would have another tower so far from the studio, but entirely possible, especially if the WSRS predecessor was an EBS station or other critical communications site.

                            I ran the coordinates thru the FCC/FAA database and most likely the tower is that of WSRS(FM). This is an auxiliary transmitter for WSRS. WSRS is a Capstar station, and they also own WTAG(AM), both stations licensed to Worcester, MA. The main WSRS is 20Kw; this smaller WSRS backup plant is 49 meters high and has an non-DA antenna, ERP is 13.5Kw. A simple 20bay CP would easily do the job with a 20 Kw transmitter. This most likely is that stick.

                            Tom Scanlan

                            That antenna appears to be a two bay circular polarized FM broadcast antenna.

                            73
                            Sheldon

                            The West Boylston site sounds like Westover Comms Annex #2 (GLOBECOM), PIN 5903. I took photos a couple years ago (near the bottom of this page):

                            http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/fifty.html

                            The annex was active from 1958 to 1963. I do not know if it was a transmitter or a receiver. Location 42-20-57, 71-45-37.

                            Can you provide lat/lon coordinates for the Worcester (Green Hill Park) location?

                            Cheers,
                            Scott Murdock

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <quiet_cool1986@...> wrote:

                            > Just wondering if anyone knows the function/role of the former
                            > communications facility on Temple Street in West Boylston, MA. I drove
                            > out there last week and the DCR people told me that it had some military
                            > connection to Westover during the 60s, but I found no signs of air vents
                            > or any other tell-tale signs that are sometimes not removed/plowed over
                            > when a facility is shut down. The other site I'm wondering about is near
                            > Green Hill Park in Worchester (sp?) MA. I was there and learned that the
                            > building has a hardened basement area and is the Office of Emergency
                            > Management, but the person I spoke with mentioned that the site was an
                            > Air Defense facility during the late 50s-early 60s but he did not know
                            > exactly what it consisted of. Anyone know about these places? Thanks!

                          • taskforceleader
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 25 6:37 AM
                              A photo of the orignal tower is at:

                              http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm

                              It is on the top of the hill and you can make out the two passive dishes if you look closely.

                              I visited the site about 20 years ago when the dishes were missing but the dish aligment rings were still there.

                              From the current aerials I am guessing what you see in Tim's photo:

                              http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg

                              is a 40? ft adapted tower section on top of the old microwave tower with the FM antennas attached to it. Without an onsite inspection I am guessing the tower joints just above the tree line are the top of the original tower.

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

                              > Jason-
                              > I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
                              > Tom S

                            • Pj
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 25 7:33 AM
                                Is the photo in one of the links that shoots east to Peru in a MA Forest south of Adams(?) ?

                                IIRC, it had a 1-665-xxxx number on the shelter. Same tower type as springfield and West Springfield.

                                BTW: Gomez and Chadis says hi

                              • widebandit
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 25 7:56 PM
                                  If the triangular tower with the FM package is an extension of the original Type-B square tower, the interface between them would be interesting.

                                  Bing.com birds-eye view shows no tower standing at the notch:
                                  <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r1hy088ynw8p&lvl=18&dir=270&sty=b>

                                  - waw -

                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

                                  > A photo of the orignal tower is at:
                                  >
                                  > http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm
                                  >
                                  > It is on the top of the hill and you can make out the two passive dishes if you look closely.
                                  >
                                  > I visited the site about 20 years ago when the dishes were missing but the dish aligment rings were still there.
                                  >
                                  > From the current aerials I am guessing what you see in Tim's photo:
                                  >
                                  >http://www.airforcebase.net/trips/fifty/Westover_Comms_3_Notch_MA_20090419_07.jpg
                                  >
                                  > is a 40? ft adapted tower section on top of the old microwave tower with the FM antennas attached to it. Without an onsite inspection I am guessing the tower joints just above the tree line are the top of the original tower.
                                  >
                                  > > Jason-
                                  > > I believe the tower location is Hadley, although I don't have the sites up now, I'll check tomorrow.
                                  > > Tom S

                                • John
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 26 3:30 PM
                                    Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
                                    http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html

                                    John
                                  • taskforceleader
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 26 3:49 PM
                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "John" <ramsey@...> wrote:

                                      > Recent close up photos of the Bare Mountain/former PACCS comm site here:
                                      > http://coldwar-ct.com/The_Notch_-_Hadley.html
                                      >
                                      > John

                                      Interesting photo of the command center War Room inside the Notch. I have seen it before and always thought it was of the Notch, however a recent photo of Bldg 501 at Offutt posted by OZOB99 looks like the same place:

                                      http://tinyurl.com/4z85whg

                                      Same place? Or did they construct them that identical???