Former FCC Monitoring Post, Chillicothe Ohio

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2011
      Not much info on the Internet or other sources about the former FCC
      Monitoring Post in Chillicothe Ohio, despite the locations of most other
      former & current FCC Monitoring Posts being well known, so it took me a
      while to locate it, and I never would have been able to do so without a
      good source who pointed the out the location to me: 39-23.911N /
      083-02.968W (approximate).

      Original Chillicothe Monitoring Station was a WW-II era FCC Radio
      Intelligence Division Secondary Monitoring Station located in a barn
      just E of Chillicothe. Circa mid-1950s, the USG acquired about 300
      acres a couple miles W of town & constructed the new, larger monitoring
      post in a one-story wooden building, which was designated "CH" on the
      FCC's own HF DF'ing coordination network (CW & later RTTY on HF).

      For unknown reasons, this location was picked by the FCC to be the HQ
      FCC Emergency Relocation Site for at least a couple years in the early
      half of the Cold War. Seems pretty far away from DC (compared to other
      known federal ERS facilities), and the photos I've seen of the "CH"
      station over the years shows it to just be a typical, small Monitoring
      Post, without any unusual add-ons to support any sort of emergency
      guests or operations from HQ FCC, so I suspect it was an ERS on-paper only.

      The site shut down in 1976, and the main structure was converted into
      a house. As of 2008, it was still used as-such. Aerial imagery
      doesn't reveal any antenna remains or other radio or gov't related
      signatures. Doesn't seem like the site ever had a Wullenweber.

      During WW-I, the site & all the surrounding area was Camp Sherman:
      http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=670

      Tim