Re: [coldwarcomms] strange substation-like facilty in remote part of Eglin AFB

  • EPLERF@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
      it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
      the soviets.

      In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      thecloudboy@... writes:

      Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
      Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
      of
      the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
      purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
      and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
      Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
      classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
      unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.

      See attached image:

      Mike

    • John Young
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
        Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
        which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
        sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
        the words "US Air Force Communications."

        The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
        equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
        Or a diversion from what it really does.

        It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
        snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
        eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
        websites.

        Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
        this public fascination to tattletale.

        I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
        which are amply covered, so to speak.
      • Mike Walker
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
          Thank you! Now I found some photos on it thanks to your response and it
          makes perfect sense.

          Mike

          2011/2/4 <EPLERF@...>

          > it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
          >
          > the soviets.
          >

          > In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
          > thecloudboy@... <thecloudboy%40gmail.com> writes:
          >
          > Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
          > Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
          > of
          > the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
          > purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
          > and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
          > Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
          > classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
          > unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.
          >
          > See attached image:
          >
          > Mike

        • Mike Walker
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
            Mr. Young, this factsheet seems pretty clear on the function of the site,
            now that I was provided with a name for it and looked this up:

            http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 5, 2011
                Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                It matches the
                http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                info, and helipad marker.

                Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                look at the south side of the building reveals
                the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.

                Mike

                At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:

                >Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                >which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                >sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                >the words "US Air Force Communications."
                >
                >The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                >equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                >Or a diversion from what it really does.
                >
                >It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                >snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                >eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                >websites.
                >
                >Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                >this public fascination to tattletale.
                >
                >I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                >which are amply covered, so to speak.

              • Mike O'Dell
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                  about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                  like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                  there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                  which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.

                  -mo

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                    Mr. O'Dell,

                    Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                    suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                    and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                    Homestead, FL. Also, do you (or anyone here) know much about the Pinecastle
                    Range in the Ocala National Forest? I know it's mainly a bombing range for
                    both live and dummy bombs plus laser and other targeting from USN
                    fighter-bombers, but here and there�including from former range
                    staffers�I've gotten the impression they have done way more than served just
                    as a bombing range. In fact, it's listed as an electronic warfare range, so
                    I'm thinking it may have some pretty cool stuff going on down there, too.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                      I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                      posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                      re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                      tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                      their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                      to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse around...

                      Mike

                      At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                      >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                      >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                      >
                      >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                      >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                      >
                      > -mo
                      >

                      >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                      >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                      >>http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                      >>
                      >>It matches the
                      >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                      >>info, and helipad marker.
                      >>
                      >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                      >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                      >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                      >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                      >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                      >>
                      >>Mike
                      >>

                      >>At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>>Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                      >>>which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                      >>>sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                      >>>the words "US Air Force Communications."
                      >>>
                      >>>The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                      >>>equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                      >>>Or a diversion from what it really does.
                      >>>
                      >>>It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                      >>>snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                      >>>eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                      >>>websites.
                      >>>
                      >>>Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                      >>>this public fascination to tattletale.
                      >>>
                      >>>I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                      >>>which are amply covered, so to speak.

                      > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                      > and selfless acts of beauty.
                      > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                    • Mike Walker
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                        Mr. Cowen,

                        At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                        with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                        (roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                        little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                        which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                        odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.

                        Mike

                        2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                        > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                        > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                        > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                        > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                        > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                        > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                        > around...
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >

                        > At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                        > >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                        > >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                        > >
                        > >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                        > >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                        > >
                        > > -mo
                        > >

                        > >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                        > >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                        > >>
                        > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                        > >>
                        > >>It matches the
                        > >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                        > >>info, and helipad marker.
                        > >>
                        > >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                        > >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                        > >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                        > >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                        > >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                        > >>
                        > >>Mike

                        > > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                        > > and selfless acts of beauty.
                        > > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                      • Mike Cowen
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                          Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                          http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W

                          Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                          the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.

                          Thanks!
                          Mike

                          and selfless acts of beauty.
                          mcowen@... -Anonymous
                        • Mike Walker
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                            Sorry, I copied it straight from Wikimapia: what could go wrong? It works
                            when I placed it in Google Maps, also. :/

                            2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                            > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                            >
                            > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                            >
                            > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                            > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            > Mike
                            >

                            > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                            > >Mr. Cowen,
                            > >
                            > >At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                            > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking
                            > roof
                            > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                            > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this
                            > building
                            > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                            > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                            > >

                            > >Mike
                            > >

                            > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                            > >

                            > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                            > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                            > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                            > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                            > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                            > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                            > > > around...
                            > > >
                            > > > Mike

                            > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                            > interesting

                            > underground

                            > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                            > and selfless acts of beauty.
                            > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                          • Mike Cowen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                              I think this is what you were referring to. I
                              took the decimal coords [30.6865964, -86.3753405]
                              (from the lower left corner in wikimapia [click
                              it!]), ran it through geohack and got this:
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W
                              It is an odd site with several "workstations"
                              including one with an airplane (DC-3?), and
                              another with a section of train track. Some are
                              well equipped and have vehicles present, and others are essentially unused.

                              And just a tad SE of your point, check this out:
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W
                              Anyone got a V2 rocket and need a
                              launcher? Seems odd they'd keep that standing.

                              While we're in the area, check out the train
                              track to nowhere. Interesting tower.
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_0_N_86_19_32_W
                              Make that two...
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_34_5_N_86_46_36_W

                              Excluding the V2 launcher, these sites seem
                              vaguely reminiscent of RCS (Radar Cross Section)
                              testing, but the proximity of the vegetation and
                              buildings puzzles me. Anyone have any other
                              theories they care to voice? All I know, is I've
                              seen some very advanced stuff demonstrated out
                              there on FutureWeapons. That leaves a LOT of
                              speculation on what they aren't showing...

                              Here's the one that puzzled me:
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_29_40_N_86_22_39_W
                              The 8 occupied "pads" and adjacent gridlines are
                              an unusual configuration. the triangular shape
                              suggests a former airstrip, but not quite. Also
                              has several well maintained buildings nearby with lots of activity.

                              For amateur photo interpreters, this is a
                              seriously target rich environment! Your tax dollars at work. Enjoy the view!

                              Mike

                              And a fun one for the road:
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_40_17_N_86_25_21_W
                              Anyone need a rocket sled track? LOL!

                              and selfless acts of beauty.
                              mcowen@... -Anonymous
                            • Nick England
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                something else with circular features?

                                BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm

                                cheers,
                                Nick
                                www.navy-radio.com

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                  I'm suspecting it was some sort of radio facility
                                  given the very wide berth given the power lines
                                  ending at the fps-85 site. It doesn't look like
                                  the power lines were ever relocated, so this
                                  facility must have existed 50 years ago, when the
                                  fps-85 was first built. Perhaps it was an
                                  engineering site that was never considered
                                  "operational". The place certainly has a chequered past...

                                  Mike

                                  At 09:00 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:

                                  >Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                  >installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                  >antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                  >seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                  >one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                  >something else with circular features?
                                  >
                                  >BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                  >I've posted some manuals and info at
                                  ><http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm>http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                  >
                                  >cheers,
                                  >Nick
                                  >www.navy-radio.com
                                  >
                                  >On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Mike Walker
                                  ><<mailto:thecloudboy%40gmail.com>thecloudboy@...> wrote:
                                  > > Mr. O'Dell,
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                                  > > suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                                  > > and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                                  > > Homestead, FL.
                                  > >
                                  > >> about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                                  > >> like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                                • Frank
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                    Looks like the latitude minutes digits are transposed, you had "14" which is south of his "41".

                                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                                    > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                    > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                    >
                                    > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                    > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    > Mike
                                    >

                                    > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                    > >Mr. Cowen,
                                    > >
                                    > >At 30°41'18.614''N 86°22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                    > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                                    > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                    > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                                    > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                    > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                    > >

                                    > >Mike
                                    > >

                                    > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                    > >

                                    > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                    > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                    > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                    > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                    > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                    > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                    > > > around...
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Mike

                                    > > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                    > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                    > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                    > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                                  • Mike Walker
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      Just talked with a friend who was in the USAF at Eglin for a couple years
                                      and he wasn't sure what the purpose of the odd facility with numerous small
                                      buildings (see link below) was but had some ideas. The facility:
                                      http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W

                                      He thinks it may have been used for SERE and other ground tactical training
                                      for folks out of Hurlburt Field and Army Rangers who do some of their
                                      training here. He thought the odd plane which was all by its lonesome at the
                                      end of a long road next to a couple buildings (but with no runway or means
                                      to fly a plane there) was probably trucked in as sections and reassembled on
                                      site and was used for training. The site (abandoned airfield) at
                                      http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W

                                      was certainly used for special ops training for Operation Credible Sport but
                                      no clue why there appears to be a V2 rocket launch site there.

                                      Mike

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

                                        > Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                        > installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                        > antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                        > seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                        > one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                        > something else with circular features?
                                        >
                                        > BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                        > I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                        >
                                        > cheers,
                                        > Nick
                                        > www.navy-radio.com

                                        Perhaps a Tanner Grid Wire(Lens)like mentioned in post 18626;it looks like an Elephant Cage at a distance.
                                      • Mike Cowen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                          Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!

                                          That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy & paste...

                                          Mike

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                            On 2/7/11 7:31 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                                            > Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!
                                            >
                                            > That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy& paste...

                                            Geohack kindly shows you "US" in the upper left corner; a good sanity check
                                            that's saved me from embarrassment more than once.
                                          • Mike Cowen
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                              True, but given the scale of the little map, the
                                              dot was far larger than the 20 mile error in this
                                              case. I have used it to my advantage when I
                                              transposed lat/lon, and was clearly in the wrong place.

                                              Mike