Re: [coldwarcomms] strange substation-like facilty in remote part of Eglin AFB

  • Mike Walker
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
      Many apologies, I should have recalled that. Here you go:

      30.5724318N 86.2138474W

    • EPLERF@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
        it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
        the soviets.

        In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
        thecloudboy@... writes:

        Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
        Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
        of
        the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
        purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
        and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
        Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
        classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
        unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.

        See attached image:

        Mike

      • John Young
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
          Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
          which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
          sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
          the words "US Air Force Communications."

          The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
          equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
          Or a diversion from what it really does.

          It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
          snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
          eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
          websites.

          Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
          this public fascination to tattletale.

          I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
          which are amply covered, so to speak.
        • Mike Walker
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
            Thank you! Now I found some photos on it thanks to your response and it
            makes perfect sense.

            Mike

            2011/2/4 <EPLERF@...>

            > it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
            >
            > the soviets.
            >

            > In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            > thecloudboy@... <thecloudboy%40gmail.com> writes:
            >
            > Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
            > Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
            > of
            > the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
            > purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
            > and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
            > Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
            > classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
            > unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.
            >
            > See attached image:
            >
            > Mike

          • Mike Walker
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
              Mr. Young, this factsheet seems pretty clear on the function of the site,
              now that I was provided with a name for it and looked this up:

              http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 5, 2011
                  Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                  http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                  It matches the
                  http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                  info, and helipad marker.

                  Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                  berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                  facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                  look at the south side of the building reveals
                  the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.

                  Mike

                  At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:

                  >Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                  >which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                  >sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                  >the words "US Air Force Communications."
                  >
                  >The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                  >equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                  >Or a diversion from what it really does.
                  >
                  >It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                  >snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                  >eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                  >websites.
                  >
                  >Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                  >this public fascination to tattletale.
                  >
                  >I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                  >which are amply covered, so to speak.

                • Mike O'Dell
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                    about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                    like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                    there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                    which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.

                    -mo

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Mr. O'Dell,

                      Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                      suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                      and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                      Homestead, FL. Also, do you (or anyone here) know much about the Pinecastle
                      Range in the Ocala National Forest? I know it's mainly a bombing range for
                      both live and dummy bombs plus laser and other targeting from USN
                      fighter-bombers, but here and there�including from former range
                      staffers�I've gotten the impression they have done way more than served just
                      as a bombing range. In fact, it's listed as an electronic warfare range, so
                      I'm thinking it may have some pretty cool stuff going on down there, too.

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                        I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                        posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                        re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                        tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                        their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                        to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse around...

                        Mike

                        At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                        >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                        >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                        >
                        >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                        >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                        >
                        > -mo
                        >

                        >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                        >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                        >>http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                        >>
                        >>It matches the
                        >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                        >>info, and helipad marker.
                        >>
                        >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                        >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                        >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                        >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                        >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                        >>
                        >>Mike
                        >>

                        >>At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:
                        >>>
                        >>>Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                        >>>which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                        >>>sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                        >>>the words "US Air Force Communications."
                        >>>
                        >>>The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                        >>>equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                        >>>Or a diversion from what it really does.
                        >>>
                        >>>It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                        >>>snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                        >>>eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                        >>>websites.
                        >>>
                        >>>Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                        >>>this public fascination to tattletale.
                        >>>
                        >>>I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                        >>>which are amply covered, so to speak.

                        > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                        > and selfless acts of beauty.
                        > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                      • Mike Walker
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                          Mr. Cowen,

                          At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                          with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                          (roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                          little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                          which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                          odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.

                          Mike

                          2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                          > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                          > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                          > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                          > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                          > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                          > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                          > around...
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >

                          > At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                          > >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                          > >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                          > >
                          > >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                          > >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                          > >
                          > > -mo
                          > >

                          > >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                          > >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                          > >>
                          > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                          > >>
                          > >>It matches the
                          > >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                          > >>info, and helipad marker.
                          > >>
                          > >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                          > >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                          > >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                          > >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                          > >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                          > >>
                          > >>Mike

                          > > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                          > > and selfless acts of beauty.
                          > > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                        • Mike Cowen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                            Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                            http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W

                            Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                            the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.

                            Thanks!
                            Mike

                            and selfless acts of beauty.
                            mcowen@... -Anonymous
                          • Mike Walker
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                              Sorry, I copied it straight from Wikimapia: what could go wrong? It works
                              when I placed it in Google Maps, also. :/

                              2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                              > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                              >
                              > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                              >
                              > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                              > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              > Mike
                              >

                              > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                              > >Mr. Cowen,
                              > >
                              > >At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                              > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking
                              > roof
                              > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                              > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this
                              > building
                              > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                              > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                              > >

                              > >Mike
                              > >

                              > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                              > >

                              > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                              > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                              > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                              > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                              > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                              > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                              > > > around...
                              > > >
                              > > > Mike

                              > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                              > interesting

                              > underground

                              > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                              > and selfless acts of beauty.
                              > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                            • Mike Cowen
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                I think this is what you were referring to. I
                                took the decimal coords [30.6865964, -86.3753405]
                                (from the lower left corner in wikimapia [click
                                it!]), ran it through geohack and got this:
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W
                                It is an odd site with several "workstations"
                                including one with an airplane (DC-3?), and
                                another with a section of train track. Some are
                                well equipped and have vehicles present, and others are essentially unused.

                                And just a tad SE of your point, check this out:
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W
                                Anyone got a V2 rocket and need a
                                launcher? Seems odd they'd keep that standing.

                                While we're in the area, check out the train
                                track to nowhere. Interesting tower.
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_0_N_86_19_32_W
                                Make that two...
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_34_5_N_86_46_36_W

                                Excluding the V2 launcher, these sites seem
                                vaguely reminiscent of RCS (Radar Cross Section)
                                testing, but the proximity of the vegetation and
                                buildings puzzles me. Anyone have any other
                                theories they care to voice? All I know, is I've
                                seen some very advanced stuff demonstrated out
                                there on FutureWeapons. That leaves a LOT of
                                speculation on what they aren't showing...

                                Here's the one that puzzled me:
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_29_40_N_86_22_39_W
                                The 8 occupied "pads" and adjacent gridlines are
                                an unusual configuration. the triangular shape
                                suggests a former airstrip, but not quite. Also
                                has several well maintained buildings nearby with lots of activity.

                                For amateur photo interpreters, this is a
                                seriously target rich environment! Your tax dollars at work. Enjoy the view!

                                Mike

                                And a fun one for the road:
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_40_17_N_86_25_21_W
                                Anyone need a rocket sled track? LOL!

                                and selfless acts of beauty.
                                mcowen@... -Anonymous
                              • Nick England
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                  Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                  installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                  antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                  seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                  one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                  something else with circular features?

                                  BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                  I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm

                                  cheers,
                                  Nick
                                  www.navy-radio.com

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                    I'm suspecting it was some sort of radio facility
                                    given the very wide berth given the power lines
                                    ending at the fps-85 site. It doesn't look like
                                    the power lines were ever relocated, so this
                                    facility must have existed 50 years ago, when the
                                    fps-85 was first built. Perhaps it was an
                                    engineering site that was never considered
                                    "operational". The place certainly has a chequered past...

                                    Mike

                                    At 09:00 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:

                                    >Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                    >installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                    >antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                    >seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                    >one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                    >something else with circular features?
                                    >
                                    >BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                    >I've posted some manuals and info at
                                    ><http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm>http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                    >
                                    >cheers,
                                    >Nick
                                    >www.navy-radio.com
                                    >
                                    >On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Mike Walker
                                    ><<mailto:thecloudboy%40gmail.com>thecloudboy@...> wrote:
                                    > > Mr. O'Dell,
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                                    > > suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                                    > > and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                                    > > Homestead, FL.
                                    > >
                                    > >> about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                                    > >> like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                                  • Frank
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      Looks like the latitude minutes digits are transposed, you had "14" which is south of his "41".

                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                                      > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                      > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                      >
                                      > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                      > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!
                                      > Mike
                                      >

                                      > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                      > >Mr. Cowen,
                                      > >
                                      > >At 30°41'18.614''N 86°22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                      > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                                      > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                      > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                                      > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                      > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                      > >

                                      > >Mike
                                      > >

                                      > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                      > >

                                      > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                      > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                      > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                      > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                      > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                      > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                      > > > around...
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Mike

                                      > > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                      > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                      > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                      > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                                    • Mike Walker
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        Just talked with a friend who was in the USAF at Eglin for a couple years
                                        and he wasn't sure what the purpose of the odd facility with numerous small
                                        buildings (see link below) was but had some ideas. The facility:
                                        http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W

                                        He thinks it may have been used for SERE and other ground tactical training
                                        for folks out of Hurlburt Field and Army Rangers who do some of their
                                        training here. He thought the odd plane which was all by its lonesome at the
                                        end of a long road next to a couple buildings (but with no runway or means
                                        to fly a plane there) was probably trucked in as sections and reassembled on
                                        site and was used for training. The site (abandoned airfield) at
                                        http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W

                                        was certainly used for special ops training for Operation Credible Sport but
                                        no clue why there appears to be a V2 rocket launch site there.

                                        Mike

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

                                          > Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                          > installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                          > antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                          > seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                          > one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                          > something else with circular features?
                                          >
                                          > BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                          > I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                          >
                                          > cheers,
                                          > Nick
                                          > www.navy-radio.com

                                          Perhaps a Tanner Grid Wire(Lens)like mentioned in post 18626;it looks like an Elephant Cage at a distance.
                                        • Mike Cowen
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                            Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!

                                            That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy & paste...

                                            Mike

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                              On 2/7/11 7:31 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                                              > Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!
                                              >
                                              > That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy& paste...

                                              Geohack kindly shows you "US" in the upper left corner; a good sanity check
                                              that's saved me from embarrassment more than once.
                                            • Mike Cowen
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                True, but given the scale of the little map, the
                                                dot was far larger than the 20 mile error in this
                                                case. I have used it to my advantage when I
                                                transposed lat/lon, and was clearly in the wrong place.

                                                Mike