Re: [coldwarcomms] strange substation-like facilty in remote part of Eglin AFB

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
      On 2/4/11 11:03 PM, Mike Walker wrote:

      > See attached image:

      Ixnay; We don't do attachments around here.

      Just post the lat/long so we can look...
    • Mike Walker
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
        Many apologies, I should have recalled that. Here you go:

        30.5724318N 86.2138474W

      • EPLERF@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
          it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
          the soviets.

          In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
          thecloudboy@... writes:

          Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
          Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
          of
          the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
          purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
          and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
          Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
          classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
          unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.

          See attached image:

          Mike

        • John Young
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
            Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
            which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
            sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
            the words "US Air Force Communications."

            The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
            equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
            Or a diversion from what it really does.

            It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
            snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
            eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
            websites.

            Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
            this public fascination to tattletale.

            I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
            which are amply covered, so to speak.
          • Mike Walker
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
              Thank you! Now I found some photos on it thanks to your response and it
              makes perfect sense.

              Mike

              2011/2/4 <EPLERF@...>

              > it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
              >
              > the soviets.
              >

              > In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
              > thecloudboy@... <thecloudboy%40gmail.com> writes:
              >
              > Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
              > Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
              > of
              > the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
              > purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
              > and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
              > Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
              > classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
              > unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.
              >
              > See attached image:
              >
              > Mike

            • Mike Walker
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
                Mr. Young, this factsheet seems pretty clear on the function of the site,
                now that I was provided with a name for it and looked this up:

                http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
                • Mike Cowen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 5, 2011
                    Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                    It matches the
                    http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                    info, and helipad marker.

                    Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                    berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                    facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                    look at the south side of the building reveals
                    the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.

                    Mike

                    At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:

                    >Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                    >which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                    >sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                    >the words "US Air Force Communications."
                    >
                    >The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                    >equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                    >Or a diversion from what it really does.
                    >
                    >It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                    >snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                    >eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                    >websites.
                    >
                    >Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                    >this public fascination to tattletale.
                    >
                    >I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                    >which are amply covered, so to speak.

                  • Mike O'Dell
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                      about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                      like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                      there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                      which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.

                      -mo

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                        Mr. O'Dell,

                        Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                        suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                        and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                        Homestead, FL. Also, do you (or anyone here) know much about the Pinecastle
                        Range in the Ocala National Forest? I know it's mainly a bombing range for
                        both live and dummy bombs plus laser and other targeting from USN
                        fighter-bombers, but here and there�including from former range
                        staffers�I've gotten the impression they have done way more than served just
                        as a bombing range. In fact, it's listed as an electronic warfare range, so
                        I'm thinking it may have some pretty cool stuff going on down there, too.

                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                          I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                          posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                          re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                          tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                          their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                          to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse around...

                          Mike

                          At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                          >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                          >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                          >
                          >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                          >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                          >
                          > -mo
                          >

                          >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                          >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                          >>http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                          >>
                          >>It matches the
                          >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                          >>info, and helipad marker.
                          >>
                          >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                          >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                          >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                          >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                          >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                          >>
                          >>Mike
                          >>

                          >>At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>>Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                          >>>which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                          >>>sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                          >>>the words "US Air Force Communications."
                          >>>
                          >>>The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                          >>>equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                          >>>Or a diversion from what it really does.
                          >>>
                          >>>It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                          >>>snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                          >>>eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                          >>>websites.
                          >>>
                          >>>Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                          >>>this public fascination to tattletale.
                          >>>
                          >>>I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                          >>>which are amply covered, so to speak.

                          > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                          > and selfless acts of beauty.
                          > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                        • Mike Walker
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                            Mr. Cowen,

                            At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                            with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                            (roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                            little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                            which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                            odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.

                            Mike

                            2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                            > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                            > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                            > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                            > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                            > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                            > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                            > around...
                            >
                            > Mike
                            >

                            > At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                            > >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                            > >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                            > >
                            > >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                            > >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                            > >
                            > > -mo
                            > >

                            > >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                            > >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                            > >>
                            > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                            > >>
                            > >>It matches the
                            > >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                            > >>info, and helipad marker.
                            > >>
                            > >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                            > >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                            > >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                            > >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                            > >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                            > >>
                            > >>Mike

                            > > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                            > > and selfless acts of beauty.
                            > > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                          • Mike Cowen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                              Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                              http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W

                              Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                              the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.

                              Thanks!
                              Mike

                              and selfless acts of beauty.
                              mcowen@... -Anonymous
                            • Mike Walker
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                Sorry, I copied it straight from Wikimapia: what could go wrong? It works
                                when I placed it in Google Maps, also. :/

                                2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                                > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                >
                                > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                >
                                > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                > Mike
                                >

                                > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                > >Mr. Cowen,
                                > >
                                > >At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking
                                > roof
                                > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this
                                > building
                                > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                > >

                                > >Mike
                                > >

                                > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                > >

                                > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                > > > around...
                                > > >
                                > > > Mike

                                > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                > interesting

                                > underground

                                > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                              • Mike Cowen
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                  I think this is what you were referring to. I
                                  took the decimal coords [30.6865964, -86.3753405]
                                  (from the lower left corner in wikimapia [click
                                  it!]), ran it through geohack and got this:
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W
                                  It is an odd site with several "workstations"
                                  including one with an airplane (DC-3?), and
                                  another with a section of train track. Some are
                                  well equipped and have vehicles present, and others are essentially unused.

                                  And just a tad SE of your point, check this out:
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W
                                  Anyone got a V2 rocket and need a
                                  launcher? Seems odd they'd keep that standing.

                                  While we're in the area, check out the train
                                  track to nowhere. Interesting tower.
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_0_N_86_19_32_W
                                  Make that two...
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_34_5_N_86_46_36_W

                                  Excluding the V2 launcher, these sites seem
                                  vaguely reminiscent of RCS (Radar Cross Section)
                                  testing, but the proximity of the vegetation and
                                  buildings puzzles me. Anyone have any other
                                  theories they care to voice? All I know, is I've
                                  seen some very advanced stuff demonstrated out
                                  there on FutureWeapons. That leaves a LOT of
                                  speculation on what they aren't showing...

                                  Here's the one that puzzled me:
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_29_40_N_86_22_39_W
                                  The 8 occupied "pads" and adjacent gridlines are
                                  an unusual configuration. the triangular shape
                                  suggests a former airstrip, but not quite. Also
                                  has several well maintained buildings nearby with lots of activity.

                                  For amateur photo interpreters, this is a
                                  seriously target rich environment! Your tax dollars at work. Enjoy the view!

                                  Mike

                                  And a fun one for the road:
                                  http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_40_17_N_86_25_21_W
                                  Anyone need a rocket sled track? LOL!

                                  and selfless acts of beauty.
                                  mcowen@... -Anonymous
                                • Nick England
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                    Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                    installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                    antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                    seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                    one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                    something else with circular features?

                                    BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                    I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm

                                    cheers,
                                    Nick
                                    www.navy-radio.com

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      I'm suspecting it was some sort of radio facility
                                      given the very wide berth given the power lines
                                      ending at the fps-85 site. It doesn't look like
                                      the power lines were ever relocated, so this
                                      facility must have existed 50 years ago, when the
                                      fps-85 was first built. Perhaps it was an
                                      engineering site that was never considered
                                      "operational". The place certainly has a chequered past...

                                      Mike

                                      At 09:00 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:

                                      >Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                      >installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                      >antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                      >seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                      >one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                      >something else with circular features?
                                      >
                                      >BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                      >I've posted some manuals and info at
                                      ><http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm>http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                      >
                                      >cheers,
                                      >Nick
                                      >www.navy-radio.com
                                      >
                                      >On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Mike Walker
                                      ><<mailto:thecloudboy%40gmail.com>thecloudboy@...> wrote:
                                      > > Mr. O'Dell,
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                                      > > suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                                      > > and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                                      > > Homestead, FL.
                                      > >
                                      > >> about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                                      > >> like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                                    • Frank
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        Looks like the latitude minutes digits are transposed, you had "14" which is south of his "41".

                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                                        > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                        > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                        >
                                        > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                        > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks!
                                        > Mike
                                        >

                                        > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                        > >Mr. Cowen,
                                        > >
                                        > >At 30°41'18.614''N 86°22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                        > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                                        > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                        > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                                        > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                        > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                        > >

                                        > >Mike
                                        > >

                                        > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                        > >

                                        > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                        > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                        > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                        > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                        > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                        > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                        > > > around...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Mike

                                        > > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                        > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                        > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                        > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                                      • Mike Walker
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                          Just talked with a friend who was in the USAF at Eglin for a couple years
                                          and he wasn't sure what the purpose of the odd facility with numerous small
                                          buildings (see link below) was but had some ideas. The facility:
                                          http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W

                                          He thinks it may have been used for SERE and other ground tactical training
                                          for folks out of Hurlburt Field and Army Rangers who do some of their
                                          training here. He thought the odd plane which was all by its lonesome at the
                                          end of a long road next to a couple buildings (but with no runway or means
                                          to fly a plane there) was probably trucked in as sections and reassembled on
                                          site and was used for training. The site (abandoned airfield) at
                                          http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W

                                          was certainly used for special ops training for Operation Credible Sport but
                                          no clue why there appears to be a V2 rocket launch site there.

                                          Mike

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

                                            > Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                            > installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                            > antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                            > seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                            > one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                            > something else with circular features?
                                            >
                                            > BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                            > I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                            >
                                            > cheers,
                                            > Nick
                                            > www.navy-radio.com

                                            Perhaps a Tanner Grid Wire(Lens)like mentioned in post 18626;it looks like an Elephant Cage at a distance.
                                          • Mike Cowen
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                              Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!

                                              That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy & paste...

                                              Mike

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                On 2/7/11 7:31 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                                                > Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!
                                                >
                                                > That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy& paste...

                                                Geohack kindly shows you "US" in the upper left corner; a good sanity check
                                                that's saved me from embarrassment more than once.
                                              • Mike Cowen
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                  True, but given the scale of the little map, the
                                                  dot was far larger than the 20 mile error in this
                                                  case. I have used it to my advantage when I
                                                  transposed lat/lon, and was clearly in the wrong place.

                                                  Mike