strange substation-like facilty in remote part of Eglin AFB

  • Mike Walker
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
      Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
      Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part of
      the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
      purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
      and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
      Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
      classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
      unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.

      See attached image:

      Mike

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
        On 2/4/11 11:03 PM, Mike Walker wrote:

        > See attached image:

        Ixnay; We don't do attachments around here.

        Just post the lat/long so we can look...
      • Mike Walker
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
          Many apologies, I should have recalled that. Here you go:

          30.5724318N 86.2138474W

        • EPLERF@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
            it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
            the soviets.

            In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            thecloudboy@... writes:

            Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
            Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
            of
            the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
            purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
            and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
            Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
            classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
            unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.

            See attached image:

            Mike

          • John Young
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
              Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
              which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
              sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
              the words "US Air Force Communications."

              The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
              equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
              Or a diversion from what it really does.

              It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
              snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
              eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
              websites.

              Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
              this public fascination to tattletale.

              I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
              which are amply covered, so to speak.
            • Mike Walker
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
                Thank you! Now I found some photos on it thanks to your response and it
                makes perfect sense.

                Mike

                2011/2/4 <EPLERF@...>

                > it's the FPS-85 phased - array radar for warning against SLBM launches from
                >
                > the soviets.
                >

                > In a message dated 2/4/2011 9:04:01 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
                > thecloudboy@... <thecloudboy%40gmail.com> writes:
                >
                > Living in Florida, I often look at various parts of my state with Google
                > Earth and Wikimapia. I found this odd facility in the remote eastern part
                > of
                > the Eglin Air Force Range in the Florida panhandle and wondered what its
                > purpose might be: it appears to be a utilities substation but has a helipad
                > and ample parking, plus the structure almost looks like a hanger. Very odd.
                > Just wondered if there's anything anyone can say about it that's not
                > classified or otherwise not wise to release to the public. If there's any
                > unclassified info on it, I'd be curious to know its story.
                >
                > See attached image:
                >
                > Mike

              • Mike Walker
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Mr. Young, this factsheet seems pretty clear on the function of the site,
                  now that I was provided with a name for it and looked this up:

                  http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 4, 2011
                  • Mike Cowen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 5, 2011
                      Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                      http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                      It matches the
                      http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                      info, and helipad marker.

                      Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                      berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                      facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                      look at the south side of the building reveals
                      the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.

                      Mike

                      At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:

                      >Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                      >which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                      >sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                      >the words "US Air Force Communications."
                      >
                      >The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                      >equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                      >Or a diversion from what it really does.
                      >
                      >It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                      >snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                      >eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                      >websites.
                      >
                      >Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                      >this public fascination to tattletale.
                      >
                      >I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                      >which are amply covered, so to speak.

                    • Mike O'Dell
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                        about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                        like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                        there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                        which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.

                        -mo

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 6, 2011
                          Mr. O'Dell,

                          Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                          suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                          and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                          Homestead, FL. Also, do you (or anyone here) know much about the Pinecastle
                          Range in the Ocala National Forest? I know it's mainly a bombing range for
                          both live and dummy bombs plus laser and other targeting from USN
                          fighter-bombers, but here and there�including from former range
                          staffers�I've gotten the impression they have done way more than served just
                          as a bombing range. In fact, it's listed as an electronic warfare range, so
                          I'm thinking it may have some pretty cool stuff going on down there, too.

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                            I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                            posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                            re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                            tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                            their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                            to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse around...

                            Mike

                            At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                            >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                            >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                            >
                            >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                            >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                            >
                            > -mo
                            >

                            >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                            >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                            >>http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                            >>
                            >>It matches the
                            >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                            >>info, and helipad marker.
                            >>
                            >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                            >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                            >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                            >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                            >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                            >>
                            >>Mike
                            >>

                            >>At 09:52 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:
                            >>>
                            >>>Google Maps offers quite crisp street level views of the facility
                            >>>which appears to be for comms or more likely radar due to its
                            >>>sloping roof. A sign at the gate is not readable but might include
                            >>>the words "US Air Force Communications."
                            >>>
                            >>>The sloping roof faces south so it might be an uplink to an
                            >>>equatorial satellite. Or perhaps a link to Southcom in Panama.
                            >>>Or a diversion from what it really does.
                            >>>
                            >>>It is hard to trust what meets the eye these days of pervasive
                            >>>snooping by millions of eyeballs which spot the slightest interesting
                            >>>eyecatcher amply fed by the slew of aerials and street-view
                            >>>websites.
                            >>>
                            >>>Potemkin villages surely have contemporary versions to address
                            >>>this public fascination to tattletale.
                            >>>
                            >>>I would interested in spotting fake sites, not just those underground
                            >>>which are amply covered, so to speak.

                            > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                            > and selfless acts of beauty.
                            > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                          • Mike Walker
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                              Mr. Cowen,

                              At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                              with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                              (roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                              little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                              which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                              odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.

                              Mike

                              2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                              > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                              > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                              > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                              > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                              > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                              > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                              > around...
                              >
                              > Mike
                              >

                              > At 02:39 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:
                              > >about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                              > >like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)
                              > >
                              > >there are a number of interesting "ghosts" of previous sites
                              > >which would indicate a very interesting history of Eglin.
                              > >
                              > > -mo
                              > >

                              > >On 2/5/11 5:14 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:
                              > >>Here's an clear oblique view of the sign through the gate:
                              > >>
                              > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53
                              > >>
                              > >>It matches the
                              > >>http://www.radomes.org/museum/equip/radarequip.php?link=fps-85.html
                              > >>info, and helipad marker.
                              > >>
                              > >>Take a wider aerial view and note the very wide
                              > >>berth the roads give the 32MW ERP of this
                              > >>facility. That'll warm you nicely. A closer
                              > >>look at the south side of the building reveals
                              > >>the fence was removed too. Sucker must have sizzled.
                              > >>
                              > >>Mike

                              > > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                              > > and selfless acts of beauty.
                              > > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                            • Mike Cowen
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W

                                Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.

                                Thanks!
                                Mike

                                and selfless acts of beauty.
                                mcowen@... -Anonymous
                              • Mike Walker
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                  Sorry, I copied it straight from Wikimapia: what could go wrong? It works
                                  when I placed it in Google Maps, also. :/

                                  2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>

                                  > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                  >
                                  > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                  >
                                  > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                  > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  > Mike
                                  >

                                  > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                  > >Mr. Cowen,
                                  > >
                                  > >At 30�41'18.614''N 86�22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                  > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking
                                  > roof
                                  > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                  > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this
                                  > building
                                  > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                  > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                  > >

                                  > >Mike
                                  > >

                                  > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                  > >

                                  > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                  > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                  > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                  > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                  > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                  > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                  > > > around...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Mike

                                  > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                  > interesting

                                  > underground

                                  > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                  > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                  > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                                • Mike Cowen
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                    I think this is what you were referring to. I
                                    took the decimal coords [30.6865964, -86.3753405]
                                    (from the lower left corner in wikimapia [click
                                    it!]), ran it through geohack and got this:
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W
                                    It is an odd site with several "workstations"
                                    including one with an airplane (DC-3?), and
                                    another with a section of train track. Some are
                                    well equipped and have vehicles present, and others are essentially unused.

                                    And just a tad SE of your point, check this out:
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W
                                    Anyone got a V2 rocket and need a
                                    launcher? Seems odd they'd keep that standing.

                                    While we're in the area, check out the train
                                    track to nowhere. Interesting tower.
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_0_N_86_19_32_W
                                    Make that two...
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_34_5_N_86_46_36_W

                                    Excluding the V2 launcher, these sites seem
                                    vaguely reminiscent of RCS (Radar Cross Section)
                                    testing, but the proximity of the vegetation and
                                    buildings puzzles me. Anyone have any other
                                    theories they care to voice? All I know, is I've
                                    seen some very advanced stuff demonstrated out
                                    there on FutureWeapons. That leaves a LOT of
                                    speculation on what they aren't showing...

                                    Here's the one that puzzled me:
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_29_40_N_86_22_39_W
                                    The 8 occupied "pads" and adjacent gridlines are
                                    an unusual configuration. the triangular shape
                                    suggests a former airstrip, but not quite. Also
                                    has several well maintained buildings nearby with lots of activity.

                                    For amateur photo interpreters, this is a
                                    seriously target rich environment! Your tax dollars at work. Enjoy the view!

                                    Mike

                                    And a fun one for the road:
                                    http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_40_17_N_86_25_21_W
                                    Anyone need a rocket sled track? LOL!

                                    and selfless acts of beauty.
                                    mcowen@... -Anonymous
                                  • Nick England
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                      installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                      antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                      seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                      one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                      something else with circular features?

                                      BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                      I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm

                                      cheers,
                                      Nick
                                      www.navy-radio.com

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                        I'm suspecting it was some sort of radio facility
                                        given the very wide berth given the power lines
                                        ending at the fps-85 site. It doesn't look like
                                        the power lines were ever relocated, so this
                                        facility must have existed 50 years ago, when the
                                        fps-85 was first built. Perhaps it was an
                                        engineering site that was never considered
                                        "operational". The place certainly has a chequered past...

                                        Mike

                                        At 09:00 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:

                                        >Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                        >installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                        >antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                        >seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                        >one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                        >something else with circular features?
                                        >
                                        >BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                        >I've posted some manuals and info at
                                        ><http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm>http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                        >
                                        >cheers,
                                        >Nick
                                        >www.navy-radio.com
                                        >
                                        >On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Mike Walker
                                        ><<mailto:thecloudboy%40gmail.com>thecloudboy@...> wrote:
                                        > > Mr. O'Dell,
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks for that about other Eglin sites. I'm really keen to know if you can
                                        > > suggest others to look at aside from the elephant cage one, which I found
                                        > > and agree it looks a lot like the Navy's site on Card Sound Road south of
                                        > > Homestead, FL.
                                        > >
                                        > >> about 10 miles north of the fps-85 is a site that sure looks
                                        > >> like it was an Elephant Cage antenna (Wullenwebber DFer)

                                      • Frank
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                          Looks like the latitude minutes digits are transposed, you had "14" which is south of his "41".

                                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                                          > Please check those values. They point to a spot well into the gulf.
                                          > http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_14_18.614_N_86_22_36.1214_W
                                          >
                                          > Also, please consider posting geohack links for
                                          > the simplicity of clicking, and accessing several mapping sources.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks!
                                          > Mike
                                          >

                                          > At 03:16 AM 2/7/2011, you wrote:
                                          > >Mr. Cowen,
                                          > >
                                          > >At 30°41'18.614''N 86°22'36.1214''W you'll note a very interesting complex
                                          > >with a building in the center with ample parking and a nice new-looking roof
                                          > >(roof in good repair at a military base=something important) and then
                                          > >little roads leading off to various isolated locations around this building
                                          > >which seem to contain possible sheds or even tanks or other hardware. Very
                                          > >odd: it's obviously not a target range, either.
                                          > >

                                          > >Mike
                                          > >

                                          > >2011/2/7 Mike Cowen <mcowen@...>
                                          > >

                                          > > > I'll have to check that out. I was also looking around after I had
                                          > > > posted, and noticed several artifacts from the past being
                                          > > > re-purposed. There are several former airstrips that have battle
                                          > > > tanks on them (and lots of holes in the runway). Nice targets for
                                          > > > their weapons testing programs! Some residual features puzzled me as
                                          > > > to their original function. Quite a patch of real estate to browse
                                          > > > around...
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Mike

                                          > > http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=30.572222,-86.213611&ie=UTF8&ll=30.574069,-86.214564&spn=0,0.001682&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.574008,-86.214497&panoid=9ZyjKLyT8xfr4rcXuvIM1w&cbp=12,288.88,,2,5.53

                                          > Mike Cowen Practice random acts of kindness
                                          > and selfless acts of beauty.
                                          > mcowen@... -Anonymous

                                        • Mike Walker
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                            Just talked with a friend who was in the USAF at Eglin for a couple years
                                            and he wasn't sure what the purpose of the odd facility with numerous small
                                            buildings (see link below) was but had some ideas. The facility:
                                            http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_41_11_N_86_22_31_W

                                            He thinks it may have been used for SERE and other ground tactical training
                                            for folks out of Hurlburt Field and Army Rangers who do some of their
                                            training here. He thought the odd plane which was all by its lonesome at the
                                            end of a long road next to a couple buildings (but with no runway or means
                                            to fly a plane there) was probably trucked in as sections and reassembled on
                                            site and was used for training. The site (abandoned airfield) at
                                            http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=30_39_46_N_86_20_41_W

                                            was certainly used for special ops training for Operation Credible Sport but
                                            no clue why there appears to be a V2 rocket launch site there.

                                            Mike

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

                                              > Interesting - I can't find an Eglin CDAA ("elephant cage") in
                                              > installation lists for AN/FRD-10, AN/FLR-9, or AN/FRD-13/Pusher
                                              > antenna systems, and people do love to catalog them. Also I've never
                                              > seen a CDAA site with multiple roads running to the center like that
                                              > one - CDAA sites show just a single gate and road. Likely this is
                                              > something else with circular features?
                                              >
                                              > BTW, Homestead was a Navy AN/FRD-10 CDAA
                                              > I've posted some manuals and info at http://www.navy-radio.com/frd10.htm
                                              >
                                              > cheers,
                                              > Nick
                                              > www.navy-radio.com

                                              Perhaps a Tanner Grid Wire(Lens)like mentioned in post 18626;it looks like an Elephant Cage at a distance.
                                            • Mike Cowen
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!

                                                That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy & paste...

                                                Mike

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                  On 2/7/11 7:31 PM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                                                  > Duh! Dyslexic fingers! Good catch. Thanks!
                                                  >
                                                  > That's why I prefer decimal values. Copy& paste...

                                                  Geohack kindly shows you "US" in the upper left corner; a good sanity check
                                                  that's saved me from embarrassment more than once.
                                                • Mike Cowen
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 7, 2011
                                                    True, but given the scale of the little map, the
                                                    dot was far larger than the 20 mile error in this
                                                    case. I have used it to my advantage when I
                                                    transposed lat/lon, and was clearly in the wrong place.

                                                    Mike