Re: Down time at a hardened facility

    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 4, 2011
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

      > Charlie-
      > Your mention of running envelope delays on the TD2 links and working on Lenkurt stuff reminded me of a question that I've had but never remember to ask! On some AT&T facilities, in addition to the usual array of horns, there are, at a few locations, plain old dishes, usually aimed off at a different direction than the horns. At John Tom Hill, Glastonbury, CT there are three such dishes, still there, and by doing some examining of routes and azimuths it appears they were for delivery of NBC to WHNB, New Britain, CT, WWLP, NBC, Springfield, MA and WHYN, CBS (Pre-1957) and ABC (Post 1957), to Mt. Tom, Springfield, MA. However, on some routes, such as going west, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula from Allenville-Rexton-Blaney Park-Cooks-Perkins, there is a pair of dishes on each of these locations, just below the top deck, one east facing the other west facing. I haven't been west of Perkins, but there is also a west facing dish there heading towards Ralph. Allenville & Perkins remain under the AT&T Flag while the rest are American Tower's steel. It appears by looking at the towers, which I did last October, these dishes were possibly added after the initial construction. My experience in the TV business shows zero delivery of television service anywhere in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, although this doesn't mean long lines TV delivery thru the area may have been the case......any info of any of this?
      >

      > Tom Scanlan

      In the 1950's-1980 these kind of sidelegs seemingly going to the hinterlands could have been a route to a SAGE or other military facility( I recall an old post covering this in MI); or a Bell Co short haul PSN route to East Podunk.
    • Craig Scott
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 25 8:44 AM
        Just a quick note on Mt. Tom; it is home to TV stations: WGBY, WGGB and WSHM,
        also FM: WHYN and WVEI. That might explain why the road is plowed in the
        winter. And you can add NYS as also having NO USAF bases anymore!
        Craig
        Watervliet NY

        ________________________________
        From: Mike Walker <thecloudboy@...>
        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, April 23, 2011, 4:01 AM

        A possible bunker near Holyoke MA? Does anyone else know more about this? A
        friend who was USAF and worked in comms some time ago said someting in
        passing about his CO having been in Mass at some point of his career and I
        asked if he was at Hanscom ABF near Concord and my friend said, "no, he was
        at Holyoke" so I said "at Westover?" and he was like "well, somewhere there"
        which I found odd enough.

        Mike