Bomb Alarm Display System

  • jaxwift
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
      Just wondering if 1) anyone has any information regarding in what 100 selected cities these items were placed, and 2) if any of the units might still exist atop utility poles, somewhere: I'd love to see one.

      http://www.coldwar-ct.com/Bomb_Alarm_Network.html
    • Jake
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
        It we be incredibly useful if Photosynth or Google street view would let you upload a picture and then show you matches. Say on Google Earth or Bing....

        -Jake

        On Jan 28, 2011, at 7:58 PM, jaxwift wrote:

        > Just wondering if 1) anyone has any information regarding in what 100 selected cities these items were placed, and 2) if any of the units might still exist atop utility poles, somewhere: I'd love to see one.
        >
        > http://www.coldwar-ct.com/Bomb_Alarm_Network.html

      • Mike O'Dell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
          i guess this was before they understood how the EMP
          from a detonation was impossible to miss.

          -mo

          On 1/28/11 7:58 PM, jaxwift wrote:
          > Just wondering if 1) anyone has any information regarding in what 100 selected cities these items were placed, and 2) if any of the units might still exist atop utility poles, somewhere: I'd love to see one.
          >
          > http://www.coldwar-ct.com/Bomb_Alarm_Network.html

        • Sam Etler
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2011
            It doesn't list the cities but there's an article about the system in the
            Western Union Technical Review, Jan. 1963, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 32-41. Title
            is "Bomb Alarm Display System 210-A". All of the issues of the WUTR can be
            found here:

            http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/archives/technical/western-union-tech-review/

            sam

            On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM, jaxwift <jaxwift@...> wrote:

            > Just wondering if 1) anyone has any information regarding in what 100
            > selected cities these items were placed, and 2) if any of the units might
            > still exist atop utility poles, somewhere: I'd love to see one.
            >
            > http://www.coldwar-ct.com/Bomb_Alarm_Network.html

          • Bill Luebkemann
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2011
              Great article, thanks for posting...

            • jhhaynes@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
                Also, if you want to look up the patents, there are
                3,147,380 Buckingham et al Nuclear bomb explosion detecting device
                3,171,057 Buckingham Nuclear flash simulator
              • jaxwift
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1 3:56 PM
                  Thanks for all the information on this, all of which was fascinating (especially the Western Union article). I'm still investigating and will update if I find out anything else.

                  -Jack