A place to start in the JFK Library

  • taskforceleader
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
      Very interesting reading, especially the last 3 pages

      Title: Emergency Planning Committee: Task Group Report on Survivable Communications, August 1962 Date(s) of Materials: 20 August 1962

      Extent: 36 digital pages Description: This folder contains material collected by the office of President John F. Kennedy's secretary, Evelyn Lincoln, concerning the Emergency Planning Committee, and consists of a report titled, "Report of the Task Group on the Survivable Communications Requirements of the President and Top Civil Leaders."

      Series Name: Departments and Agencies.

      Collection: Papers of John F. Kennedy. Presidential Papers. President's Office Files.

      Subject(s): National security and defense

      United States government departments and agencies
      Organization(s): Emergency Planning Committee

      Digital Identifier: JFKPOF-094-009
    • Sam Etler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
        Wow, thanks for the heads up. This is very cool. The interface is,
        unfortunately, not really made for fast skimming. However, if you're using
        Firefox, there's an add-on called URL Flipper that is useful. If you right
        click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) on the full sized image you can get the
        actual URL of the JPG. Load that into a window and then you can quickly
        flip through images since they're just numbered sequentially.

        Website for URL Flipper: http://code.kliu.org/urlflipper/

        sam

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2011
          Heh or I could have actually tried using the interface more. It's not as
          terrible as I thought after looking at it for a bit longer. I still prefer
          the URL Flipper option but I guess it's personal preference.

          sam

          On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

          > Wow, thanks for the heads up. This is very cool. The interface is,
          > unfortunately, not really made for fast skimming. However, if you're using
          > Firefox, there's an add-on called URL Flipper that is useful. If you right
          > click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) on the full sized image you can get the
          > actual URL of the JPG. Load that into a window and then you can quickly
          > flip through images since they're just numbered sequentially.
          >
          > Website for URL Flipper: http://code.kliu.org/urlflipper/
          >
          > sam
          >

          > On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM, taskforceleader <mcfoster@...>wrote:
          >
          >> Very interesting reading, especially the last 3 pages
          >>
          >> Title: Emergency Planning Committee: Task Group Report on Survivable
          >> Communications, August 1962 Date(s) of Materials: 20 August 1962
          >>
          >> Extent: 36 digital pages Description: This folder contains material
          >> collected by the office of President John F. Kennedy's secretary, Evelyn
          >> Lincoln, concerning the Emergency Planning Committee, and consists of a
          >> report titled, "Report of the Task Group on the Survivable Communications
          >> Requirements of the President and Top Civil Leaders."
          >>
          >> Series Name: Departments and Agencies.
          >>
          >> Collection: Papers of John F. Kennedy. Presidential Papers. President's
          >> Office Files.
          >>
          >> Subject(s): National security and defense
          >>
          >> United States government departments and agencies
          >> Organization(s): Emergency Planning Committee
          >>
          >> Digital Identifier: JFKPOF-094-009

        • goldsmithtim
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2012
            I just came across this document posted here last year myself and found it FULL of interesting, formerly top secret information...really, don't miss the last couple pages. Comms links between all the federal agencies with type and volume of emergency communications.

            http://archive2.jfklibrary.org/JFKPOF/094/JFKPOF-094-009/JFKPOF-094-009-p0035.jpg
            http://archive2.jfklibrary.org/JFKPOF/094/JFKPOF-094-009/JFKPOF-094-009-p0036.jpg

            http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/JFKPOF-094-009.aspx