Another "Blue Eagle"

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
      The CINCPAC/PACOM ABNCP aircraft was'nt the only Blue Eagle in the Pacific theater.

      The Navy had 4 NC-121J Super Connies known as "Blue Eagle" doing AM/FM/SW/TV PSYOPS broadcasting in Viet Nam during the mid 1960's;the Air Force assumed this mission in 1970 with "Coronet Solo" aircraft.

      This page on PSYOPS also mentions the VOA "Big Squirt" MW transmitter at Hue and another in the Philippines:

      http://www.psywarrior.com/VietnamOBPSYOP
    • Sheldon Daitch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
        Thanks for the interesting link.

        The Hue transmitter was a 50 kW unit.  Interesting
        that the psyops people called it Big Squirt.  Never
        heard that term until today. I am thinking it was a
        Continental unit, probably a 317series transmitter,
        but I can't confirm that at the moment..

        The VOA MW transmitter in the Philippines was at
        the old Poro Point station.  The actual transmitter was
        a Continental 105-B 1000 kW transmitter, two 500 kW
        transmitter sections with a combiner.  That transmitter
        was installed in the early 1950s and was in daily use
        until the mid-1990s, when it was replaced by a Harris
        DX-1000.  The Continental transmitter stayed in place
        as a standby transmitter and then went back into daily
        use, while the Harris transmitter was relocated to the
        new Poro Point location.  When the newly relocated
        Harris was back in operation and back on the air, the
        old Continental was taken out of service, removed from
        the building and the old facility was turned back over
        to the Government of the Philippines.

        Two of the VOA employees who were operating that
        transmitter facility at Hue were captured.  Candido Badua
        and Charles "Chuck" Willis.

        http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/b/bx15.htm

        http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/w/w602.htm

        Kim Elliot's Communciations World has a bit about
        Willis.  I see where Kim discusses Willis as the only
        VOA employee, but I suspect the distinction is that
        Willis was a direct hire employee and Badua was
        a contract employee.

        http://kimelli.nfshost.com/cw/cw_19991211.html

        73

        Sheldon

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
          Always nice to have some info on people and their job history related to a comms site or operation.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2014
            More on Big Squirt:

            https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1975SAIGON02794_b.html https://www.wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1975SAIGON02794_b.html

            Snippet from:

            http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a955106.pdf http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a955106.pdf

            "Big Squirt" was a project code name for a 50 KW medium wave
            transmitting facility built in the vicinity of Hue. This project was initiated by direction of DA in April 1964 to provide a facility for
            relaying Voice of America, USIS and RVN nrograms to a target audience in
            North Vietnam.
            1 3 4
            The receiver and transmitter sites were constructed
            some five miles apart near the city of Hue in Thua Thien Province,
            with the receiver northaf..the Hue landing strip, and the transmitter
            southeast of the HueCitadel' The facility became operational for
            non-directional transmissions on 18 July 1964 and for directional trans-
            missions on I August 1964.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014
              >>The CINCPAC/PACOM ABNCP aircraft wasn't the only Blue Eagle in the Pacific theater.

              >>The Navy had 4 NC-121J Super Connies known as "Blue Eagle" doing AM/FM/SW/TV PSYOPS >>broadcasting in Viet Nam during the mid 1960's;the Air Force assumed this mission in 1970 with >>"Coronet Solo" aircraft.

              >>This page on PSYOPS also mentions the VOA "Big Squirt" MW transmitter at Hue and another in the >>Philippines:

              >>http://www.psywarrior.com/VietnamOBPSYOP

              I had thought the early Blue Eagle ABNCP's were modified KC-135's(EC-135) until I ran across this article:

              http://www.nukestrat.com/china/Book-127-172.pdf

              P138, which shows a NC-121J Super Connie as a Blue Eagle ABNCP.

              If this is accurate, were the NC-121J's the original Blue Eagle ABNCP's or a supplement to the EC-135's in the 1960's?
            • Sheldon Daitch
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014
                An interesting "name" for the VOA transmitter near Hue, and also used in this cable:

                Cable: 1975SAIGON02794_b

                Cable: 1975SAIGON02794_b
                SECRET PAGE 01 SAIGON 02794 131153Z 46
                ACTION EA-06 INFO OCT-01 SS-14 ISO-00 PM-03 L-01 INR-05 PA-01 /031 W
                --------------------- 029758
                R 130805Z MAR 75
                FM AMEMBASSY SAIGON
                TO SECSTATE WASHDC 3586
                INFO SECDEF WASHDC
                USIA WASHD...
                View on www.wikileaks.org Preview by Yahoo

                State Magazine: Feature Story
                Douglas Ramsey Douglas Ramsey joined the Foreign Service in 1960 and was posted to Vietnam in 1963.
                View on 1997-2001.state.gov Preview by Yahoo

                 State Magazine: Feature Story

                The interesting part about Big Squirt is that the term doesn't seem to show up in many places, well, other than psywarrior page and the cable.

                Since the term appears in the cable, it gives credence to its use, but it isn't seen much otherwise.

                Interesting that the psywarrior page notes the power of the Poro MW transmitter, a Continental 105B, but no mention of the power of the Hue transmitter.  I am going by memory, but I think it was a 50 kW unit.

                Chuck Willis was at  VOA Greenville, but he left a few years before I started there.

                ________________________________
                >>This page on PSYOPS also mentions the VOA "Big Squirt" MW transmitter at Hue and another in the >>Philippines:

                >>http://www.psywarrior.com/VietnamOBPSYOP

              • Nick England
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2014
                  On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM, ozob99@... [coldwarcomms] <
                  coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > >>The Navy had 4 NC-121J Super Connies known as "Blue Eagle" doing
                  > AM/FM/SW/TV PSYOPS >>broadcasting in Viet Nam during the mid 1960's;

                  FWIW, info on the USN Blue Eagle AM/FM/SW/TV aircraft is at these web sites
                  - the electronics were developed by TMC as Project Jenny
                  http://www.tmchistory.org/tmc_history/photos/prj_jenny/prj_jenny_photos.htm
                  http://www.afvn.tv/ProjectJenny/index.html