FW: The Cold War Museum Year End Update, Wish List, and 2010 Accomplishments

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2010
      From: Cold War Times [mailto:listguy@...]
      Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:20 PM
      To: albert.lafrance@...
      Subject: The Cold War Museum Year End Update, Wish List, and 2010
      Accomplishments

      THIS EMAIL IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. YOUR
      REPLY WILL
      NOT BE RECEIVED BY A PERSON. IN ORDER TO ADD, REMOVE, OR UPDATE YOUR EMAIL
      ADDRESS,
      YOU MUST VISIT www.coldwartimes.com AND ENTER THE INFORMATION ONLINE.

      <http://www.coldwar.org/index.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CWMemail&utm_
      campaign=CWT-YE2010> Cold War Museum

      <http://www.coldwar.org/museum/contributions.html?utm_medium=email&utm_sourc
      e=CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010> Cold War Museum

      Cold War Museum <http://www.coldwar.org/Graphics/cwm_email_mast4.gif>

      The Cold War Museum Year End Wish List and 2010 List of Accomplishments -
      Thank You for Your Support.

      Dear Friends and Supporters of The Cold War MuseumR,

      I can't believe it has been a year since we signed our lease with Vint Hill
      Economic Development Authority (www.vinthill.com) for use of 4000 sq ft of
      storage and exhibit space 40 miles from Washington, DC. Now that the county
      building permits have been secured, Vint Hill EDA is working diligently on
      the building remodel. Our museum design firm, Studio Ammons,
      (www.studioammons.com) is in the process of providing a $70,000 in-kind
      donation of architectural and design services for our interior exhibits and
      displays (www.coldwar.org/museum/physical_location2.asp
      <http://www.coldwar.org/museum/physical_location2.asp?utm_medium=email&utm_s
      ource=CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010> ). However, we need to continue with
      our fundraising efforts in order to cover costs associated with our new
      home. Below is our year end "Wish List" followed by our 2010 list of
      accomplishments.

      We are constantly asked where our funding comes from and whether we have an
      endowment to support our activities. One reporter even asked if we had an
      "Angel." We have been very fortunate to have had generous support from a
      variety of sources in the past. However, until we have an endowment fund in
      place, our resources have to be constantly replenished. So in case you have
      not exhausted your charitable giving for the year, now is the time we truly
      need your financial support.

      I would like to invite you to join me in making a year end tax deductible
      donation to help support The Cold War MuseumR. Donations, no matter the
      amount, can be sent directly to The Cold War MuseumR, P.O. Box 861526, Vint
      Hill, VA 20187, or online at www.coldwar.org/museum/contributions.asp
      <http://www.coldwar.org/museum/contributions.asp?utm_medium=email&utm_source
      =CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010> through "GuideStar," "Just Give," or
      "Paypal." Remember, since the museum is a 501(C)(3) charity, all donations
      are tax deductible.

      Should you have any questions or need additional information, please do not
      hesitate to contact me through www.coldwar.org
      <http://www.coldwar.org/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CWMemail&utm_campaign=C
      WT-YE2010> . Thank you and Happy New Year.

      All the best,

      Francis Gary Powers, Jr.
      Founder

      The Cold War Museum Update

      2010 YEAR END DONATIONS WISH LIST

      $1500 will provide graphics and text panels for one of our displays and will
      list the donor who made it possible. We have ten to twelve displays that
      need to be designed, created, and installed such as the End of WWII, Origins
      of the Cold War, Domino Theory-Hot Wars of the Cold War, Espionage and
      Intelligence Gathering, M.A.D. and Civil Defense, Space Race, Missile Gap
      and Bomber Gap, Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis, Propaganda, The
      Berlin Wall, and the Collapse of the Soviet Union-End of the Cold War.

      $2500 will provide a conference room table for the research library and a
      point-of-sale system for the gift shop.

      $2500 will provide gift shop shelving and two computer stations in our
      research library.

      $5000 will allow us to install a state of the art oral history collection
      area within the research library.

      $10,000 will allow upgrading to museum quality lighting and the purchase of
      a photocopier for the research library.

      $35,000 will enable us to do everything listed above.

      $50,000 will enable us to retrofit our storage facility with shelving,
      lighting, and other archival items necessary to properly care for and store
      our collection.

      $100,000 will enable us to retrofit our storage facility and hire a curator.

      $250,000 will enable us to add state of the art kiosks, interactive learning
      centers, and upgrade our exhibits that will help bring the artifacts and
      display boards to life so that students will truly have an unique
      educational experience to remember.

      While I understand that $50K to $250K is a lot to ask for in this context
      and that most people would like to see a list of what their contribution
      would provide before making this type of donation, I am still optimistic
      that I will find an Angel. I need to ask or else I will never know what
      would have happened. The museum is so close to opening and yet there is so
      much to be done to prepare. Your financial assistance, no matter the amount,
      is greatly appreciated.

      2010 ACCOMPLISHMENTS

      MUSEUM DESIGN AND BUILDING REMODEL
      -Secured $135,000 from Vint Hill Economic Development Authority and $50,000
      from Fauquier County Industrial Development Authority to offset the costs
      associated with the museum building remodel.

      -Received $70,000 in-kind donation of architectural and design services for
      our interior exhibits and displays from museum design firm, Studio Ammons.

      -Received a $75,000 donation of Helzberg Diamonds display cases that can be
      used in our new facility.

      -Received a Joint House Resolution (HJ 189) from the Commonwealth of
      Virginia for our efforts to locate the museum in Fauquier County presented
      by Clerk of the House of Delegates, Bruce Jamerson, and Delegate Scott
      Lingamfelter.

      EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
      -Conducted a Cold War Museum Podcast interview with David Eisenhower on his
      new book, "Coming Home to Glory," about President Eisenhower that is now
      available to be listened to online http://coldwarpodcast.com

      -Conducted a Teacher's Institute with the Virginia War Memorial and provided
      resource material to over 30 Virginia teachers from around the state for use
      in their classrooms.

      -Conducted Spy Tours for history teachers from Prince William County Public
      Schools, Daughters of the American Revolution (The DAR) National Convention,
      the Community College Humanities Association 2010 Southern Division
      Conference, and related groups.

      -Continued to work with the Diefenbunker Museum in Ottawa, Canada; the
      Atomic Bunker Museum in Harnekop, Germany; and the International Spy Museum
      in Washington, DC to display some of our artifacts until the Vint Hill site
      is ready.

      -Displayed our mobile exhibit on the U-2 Incident at The Virginia Historical
      Society (www.vahistorical.org) in Richmond, VA and the EAA Museum
      (www.eaa.org) in Oshkosh, WI.

      -Traveled to Moscow to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the U-2 Incident.
      Gave lectures at the Central Armed Forces Museum, the US Embassy, and press
      interviews to an assortment of European and Russian media outlets.

      -Attended the annual EAA AirAdventure in Oshkosh, WI, the largest air show
      in the world. The Midwest Chapter had an exhibit booth set up in hanger B,
      the mobile U-2 Incident Exhibit was set up at the EAA Museum, and I gave
      numerous lectures, gallery walks, and joint presentations during the event
      at EAA.

      WEBSITE DESIGN AND COLLECTIONS MANAGEMENT
      -Updated our website (www.coldwar.org
      <http://www.coldwar.org/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CWMemail&utm_campaign=C
      WT-YE2010> ) and created a space for advertisers. If you would like to
      advertise on our website, please let me know. The website update was made
      possible by a grant from the Virginia Tourism Corporation (www.virginia.org)
      and was done by C. Liston Communication (www.clisotn.com). The museum
      website averages over 800 unique visitors per day which equates to over
      300,000 individuals, primarily students, visiting the webpage per year and
      learning about the international aspects of Cold War history.

      -Transferred our $2 million collection from four separate storage facilities
      and consolidated into one building. Completed collection inventory of our
      rare and unique Cold War artifacts thanks to a three month practicum by a
      Public History/Museum Studies graduate student, Kelsey Blair, from the
      University of West Florida.

      -Loaned items from our collection to the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum
      and Library for use in a Cold War exhibition.

      TRADEMARK
      -Received an Affidavit of Incontestability from the United States Patent and
      Trademark Office for our trademark, The Cold War MuseumR, and prevented the
      cancellation of our trademark by a disgruntled competitor.

      Cold War Museum <http://www.coldwar.org/Graphics/cwm_email_mast6.gif>

      <http://www.coldwar.org/counter.asp?tag=facebook>
      <http://www.coldwar.org/counter.asp?tag=facebook> Join us on Facebook
      <http://www.coldwar.org/counter.asp?tag=facebook>

      Make your tax-deductible
      <http://www.coldwar.org/museum/contributions.html?utm_medium=email&utm_sourc
      e=CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010>
      contribution online

      Cold War Museum <http://www.coldwar.org/Graphics/cwm_email_mast7.gif>

      > UNSUBSCRIBE
      Use this link to
      <http://www.coldwar.org/education/coldwar_magazine.asp?utm_medium=email&utm_
      source=CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010&utm_content=Unsubscribe>
      unsubscribe to this
      newsletter

      > SUBSCRIBE
      Was this year end update forwarded to you? Use
      the link below to start
      receiving your own copy
      of The Cold War TimesR
      Subscribe
      <http://www.coldwar.org/education/coldwar_magazine.asp?utm_medium=email&utm_
      source=CWMemail&utm_campaign=CWT-YE2010>

      Cold War Museum <http://www.coldwar.org/Graphics/cwm_email_mast8.gif>

      <http://www.coldwar.org/graphics/bspace.gif>

      MISSION: The Cold War Museum is dedicated to education, preservation, and
      research on the global ideological and political confrontations between East
      and West from the end of World War II to the dissolution of the Soviet
      Union.

      This email was sent to albert.lafrance@... from The Cold War
      Museum. For more information about the Museum, visit www.coldwar.org
      <http://www.coldwar.org/index.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CWMemail&utm_
      campaign=CWT-YE2010> .

    • John Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2010
        DoD released on 16 November a 92-page report from 1968 on the
        B-52 crash near Thule, Greenland:

        http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/ncb/DocsConcerningThuleAccident.pdf
      • Mike Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2010
          This report on the Thule B-52 crash is great! I mean, not to make light of
          what was a very serious situation, but the place where Gen. Richard Hunziker
          is complaining about ordeals his team and equipment face in due to the
          weather made me laugh outloud: I mean, the man's grater lost a wheel!
          Airplanes crashing because someone put seat cushions over a vent and they
          caught afire, graters losing their wheels, it must have been enough to make
          the general wish he'd joined the Navy instead. :[