Trinity and Beyond - TLC

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 1999
      Excellent 2 hour program "Trinity and Beyond" the Atomic Bomb Film (The
      Learning Channel). The best film footage I have seen to date on
      thermonuclear explosions. Also excellent sound track. Watching this give
      a feel for what is was like to live under the threat of Agamemnon.

      The film was dedicated to the 1352nd Motion Picture Squadron, Lookout
      Mountain Laboratory (The Atomic Cinematographers). Has anyone heard of
      this unit before?
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 1999
        At 06:01 PM 5/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
        >
        >Excellent 2 hour program "Trinity and Beyond" the Atomic Bomb Film (The
        >Learning Channel). The best film footage I have seen to date on
        >thermonuclear explosions. Also excellent sound track. Watching this give
        >a feel for what is was like to live under the threat of Agamemnon.
        >
        >The film was dedicated to the 1352nd Motion Picture Squadron, Lookout
        >Mountain Laboratory (The Atomic Cinematographers). Has anyone heard of
        >this unit before?

        A little web research revealed:

        http://www.enviroweb.org/issues/nuketesting/altwarnuke/awn1997c/0138.html

        Another secret cold war facility.
      • Scott Murdock
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 1999
          Lookout Mountain Air Force Station - information from Dept of the Air
          Force general and special orders: Activated in July 1943; officially
          designated as Lookout Mountain Laboratory on 15 Feb 1956. Redesignated
          as Lookout Mountain Air Force Station on 1 Apr 1958 under Military Air
          Transport Service. It was inactivated on 30 Jun 1969, and assigned as
          an off-base installation of Norton AFB.

          People magazine did an article a year or so back; similar to the article
          Mark found on the web.

          Scott
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 1999
            At 05:51 PM 5/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...>
            >
            >Lookout Mountain Air Force Station - information from Dept of the Air
            >Force general and special orders: Activated in July 1943; officially
            >designated as Lookout Mountain Laboratory on 15 Feb 1956. Redesignated
            >as Lookout Mountain Air Force Station on 1 Apr 1958 under Military Air
            >Transport Service. It was inactivated on 30 Jun 1969, and assigned as
            >an off-base installation of Norton AFB.

            Does inactivated mean actually closed down, or just not an
            Air Force Station. If so do you have a facilities closed date?

            Also, Terraserver image is terrible:

            http://terraserver.microsoft.com/GetTilesByXY.asp?XId=2957&YId=11914&TileX=0
            &TileY=0&SrcId=2&ImgDate=03/15/1998&ImgSize=0&DSize=2
          • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 1999
              In a message dated 5/9/99 6:01:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mfoster@...
              writes:

              <<
              The film was dedicated to the 1352nd Motion Picture Squadron, Lookout
              Mountain Laboratory (The Atomic Cinematographers). Has anyone heard of
              this unit before? >>
              It was based at Lookout Mountain AFS, Hollywood, CA. If you need more
              information Mark, let me know. I don't have much.
              George
            • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 1999
                In a message dated 5/9/99 6:21:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mfoster@...
                writes:

                << Another secret cold war facility.

                I would hardly say the facility was secret, although it was partially buried
                and the 1352nd did make some classified films. The official designation of
                Lookout Mountain Laboratory was announced on15 Feb 1956. The order noted that
                the site was activated in July 1943. Lookout Mountain Laboratory was
                redesignated Lookout Mountain AFS, 1 Apr 1958. It closed in 1970 as the
                MATS/MAC Air Photographic and Charting Service installation.

                In World War II, the unit based at LOookout Mountain (squadron name escapes
                me at the moment) was the unit Ronald Reagan and others were assigned to.
                Also, Mark, inactivation date means closed for good.
                George