Re: Presidential Yacht Sequoia

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2001
      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
      > I hope to check it out this week, and will post a report and photos.
      >
      > Looking at the 1970 route map, I see there are four named stations
      on the
      > relatively short (67 mi. straight-line) coax route between Faulkner
      and
      > Richmond, with the frequent stations continuing south of Richmond.
      That's a
      > much closer spacing than on the other routes in the Washington area.
      In
      > contrast, the map shows no intermediate stations on the
      Dranesville-Moseley
      > cable (about 114 mi.).
      >
      > Is that difference due to the Faulkner-Richmond cable being older?
      >
      > Albert

      Edge Hill was the only Main station(unmanned) between Washington &
      Richmond on the L1 route established around 1951 with repeaters
      every 8 miles(this route also carried network TV before the TD2
      came in);later it was upgraded to L3 with repeaters every 4
      miles(using the existing .270 diameter 8 tube coax instead of the
      newer .375 L3 tubes);& when Faulkner was built(on that route)it became
      a main & terminal station,dropping Mastergroups from Richmond &
      Washington;thus the shorter main station spans.

      Cold War comm requirements often resulted in new offices being built
      on or near existing cable routes as an expediancy and lower costs.The
      Sage Direction Center at Ft. Lee,Va had the Norfolk-Richmond K cxr
      route looped through the building to drop channel groups(making it a
      high tech K station)

      South of Richmond the L3 to Greensboro & Charlotte & had a main
      station at Mckinney(50 miles)manned,but non switching,and another at
      Virgilina(45 miles)unmanned with switching.I cant recall the next main
      station in NC.

      Mosley-Dranesville was L4 and no main station was needed for that
      span(there was 1 equalizing station i think).

      message dated 4/14/2001 8:37:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > ozob99@y... writes:
      >
      > > Edge Hill was an unattended main stn(power feed & switching)
      between
    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 13, 2001
        I visited Edge Hill on Sunday afternoon; found the site easily thanks to your
        previous directions. The station is on the north side of Rt. 205, a few
        hundred feet west of Rt. 301.

        The one-story red brick building has three rectangular sections. The center
        section has a gabled roof, with the ridge perpendicular to the building
        front. The east wing of the building is of similar design and materials, but
        is smaller and shorter, and the ridge of its gabled roof is parallel to the
        front. Both have a metal door on the front, and fixed windows of glass
        blocks. I think these two sections are the original construction; they look
        similar to some of the older microwave stations such as Yellow Springs, MD.
        The west wing of the building is the biggest, and appears to be an addition.
        It has a flat roof, and a door on the west end.

        The building is no longer in service. Power has been disconnected at the
        utility pole, and the markers (tall round wood poles with modern signs) for
        the fiber-optic cable which now serves the route clearly show the cable going
        around the building. There's no trace of the coaxial cable, other than a
        square concrete frame in the ground behind the building, which might be a
        cable vault filled with dirt. The building shows signs of neglect; some of
        the wood trim has rotted, and the roof on the east wing sags slightly.
        There's no sign on the building other than an apparent street address.

        I didn't see any of the Sequoia radio equipment, but that's not surprising
        since the equipment was probably government-owned, and removed when it was no
        longer needed.

        It was an interesting site to visit - it's the oldest coaxial-cable facility
        I've seen. One historical aspect to check out: I think that the country's
        first live coast-to-coast TV hookup, on the 1951 premiere of Edward R.
        Murrow's "See It Now' series, might have passed through Edge Hill.

        Albert

      • ozob99@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 14, 2001
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
          > I visited Edge Hill on Sunday afternoon; found the site easily
          thanks to your
          > previous directions. The station is on the north side of Rt. 205, a
          few
          > hundred feet west of Rt. 301.
          >
          > The one-story red brick building has three rectangular sections.
          The center
          > section has a gabled roof, with the ridge perpendicular to the
          building
          > front. The east wing of the building is of similar design and
          materials, but
          > is smaller and shorter, and the ridge of its gabled roof is parallel
          to the
          > front. Both have a metal door on the front, and fixed windows of
          glass
          > blocks. I think these two sections are the original construction;
          they look
          > similar to some of the older microwave stations such as Yellow
          Springs, MD.
          > The west wing of the building is the biggest, and appears to be an
          addition.
          > It has a flat roof, and a door on the west end.
          >
          > The building is no longer in service. Power has been disconnected
          at the
          > utility pole, and the markers (tall round wood poles with modern
          signs) for
          > the fiber-optic cable which now serves the route clearly show the
          cable going
          > around the building. There's no trace of the coaxial cable, other
          than a
          > square concrete frame in the ground behind the building, which might
          be a
          > cable vault filled with dirt. The building shows signs of neglect;
          some of
          > the wood trim has rotted, and the roof on the east wing sags
          slightly.
          > There's no sign on the building other than an apparent street
          address.

          > I didn't see any of the Sequoia radio equipment, but that's not
          surprising
          > since the equipment was probably government-owned, and removed when
          it was no
          > longer needed.
          >
          > It was an interesting site to visit - it's the oldest coaxial-cable
          facility
          > I've seen. One historical aspect to check out: I think that the
          country's
          > first live coast-to-coast TV hookup, on the 1951 premiere of Edward
          R.
          > Murrow's "See It Now' series, might have passed through Edge Hill.

          > Albert

          The building addition was for the L3 conversion,including the 505
          power plant.The motor-alternater sets(4 + 1 standby) had to be rebuilt
          every few years and a company called Central Armature Works out of
          Baltimore came down to do it.There were air conditioning units on the
          roof,needed for the high heat from the power plant.I think the last
          505 type plants were solid state inverters & used on TH radio.There
          was one at Aylett,Va.

        • albertjlafrance@cs.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 17, 2001
            I've posted some photos of AT&T's Edge Hill, VA coaxial-cable main station:

            http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Edge_Hill/index.html

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 25 3:26 PM
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@... wrote:

              > Anyone know what the POTUS comm system was on this vessel in the
              > 60's-70's?...UHF?.... it's tactical callsign?...i recall an entry
              > point at Edge Hill Main(L3),Va(near Potomac river) at that time;i
              > believe it tied back to Washington on the L3 paper pairs.
              >
              > Any other entry points?

              At a recent retiree discussion this radio system came up; the concensus was that a trial was held at Edge Hill,but rather than build a tower, the entry point was established on the Oak Grove R tower, appx 12 miles SSE of Edge Hill.

              Presumably the Navy patrol vessels always with the Sequoia also had access to this network.

              Albert, please update your Edge Hill Page.

              Oak Grove was the TD/TH repeater between Aylett & Waldorf;this tower
              also had the original MW(TE) shot into the Dahlgren naval reservation; later fed from Waldorf.

              The Aylett-Waldorf route was one of those with encrypted baseband due to the heavy concentration of priority circuits.

              Any newer members have any info on this?
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2010
                OK, thanks for the info!

                I've updated the Edge Hill page:
                http://long-lines.net/places-routes/Edge_Hill/index.html
                and the Sequoia comms page:
                http://coldwar-c4i.net/index.html#PresidentialYacht
                and added a page for Oak Grove:
                http://long-lines.net/places-routes/OakGroveVA/index.html

                Albert

                _____

                Message 7 of 13 , May 18, 2010

                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone know what the POTUS comm system was on this vessel in the
                  > > 60's-70's?...UHF?.... it's tactical callsign?...i recall an entry
                  > > point at Edge Hill Main(L3),Va(near Potomac river) at that time;i
                  > > believe it tied back to Washington on the L3 paper pairs.
                  > >
                  > > Any other entry points?
                  >

                  > At a recent retiree discussion this radio system came up; the concensus was that a trial was held at Edge Hill,but rather than build a tower, the entry point was established on the Oak Grove R tower, appx 12 miles SSE of Edge Hill.
                  >
                  > Presumably the Navy patrol vessels always with the Sequoia also had access to this network.

                  I have some new info from informed sources:

                  The VHF FM base station was two Motorola units; one possibly a hot standby or used for another pair of channels;model not recalled but was 250W with 8560 finals.

                  Secret Service channels Oscar/Charlie(trip circuits) and/or Yankee/Zulu(phone channels much like Echo Fox)were most likely the frequencies used.Presumably Pomonkey & Marriott Hill had the same gear.It is probable there were other base stations on gov't towers in the DC area; and that mobile units on the VA & MD shore were in constant communication with the vessels.

                  This station also served the escort vessel Guardian, ex PT-804.

                  The VF channels back to Crown were routed on the TH radio aux channels to Aylett & on to Washington.

                  Oak Grove was one of the last stations in Virginia with open wire(from Colonial Beach) as the only local phone line until the 1960's;with chronic problems affecting the ROC & C1 alarm circuits.