Interim Autovon Switches

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
      In a discussion of early(1960's)Autovon switches with a former manager I was reminded that some of the first switches were temporary until dedicated and/or hardened offices were built and the circuits rehomed.

      He recalls that Anaheim,Medford,Yakima,Billings,Phoenix & Wayne were locations where existing 4W #5XB switches(used for CCSA,dial TWX,WADS) had enough capacity to be partitioned for Autovon circuits; the following offices may also have been in this category: Iron Mountain,Rosendale,Santa Rosa 1 & 2.

      By the 1970's some of the early dedicated switches disappeared due to network reconfiguration,etc.;e.g. Ennis,Stevens Point.

      Perhaps someone can confirm or clarify this info for the record.
    • taskforceleader
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
        I can only speak of my geographical area and more specifically switches that supplied AUTOVON lines to the Notch at Westover.

        Orignally circuits came out of Rosendale, NY (SCAN). At some time a 4W#5 AUTOVON was installed at Pittsfield, MA (I believe probably temporarily until the underground at Chesterfield was built). Finally a 1ESS AUTOVON switch was installed at the L Main station in Chesterfield.

        My rule of thumb for determining the vintage of an AUTOVON switch is to look at the type of switch #1 vs #4 and then look at the vintage of the power plant conventional diesel vs turbine.

        Chesterfield had #1 switch and White Superior diesels.

        Compare to Littleton which was a #1 and turbines.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...> wrote:

          > I can only speak of my geographical area and more specifically switches that supplied AUTOVON lines to the Notch at Westover.
          >
          > Orignally circuits came out of Rosendale, NY (SCAN). At some time a 4W#5 AUTOVON was installed at Pittsfield, MA (I believe probably temporarily until the underground at Chesterfield was built). Finally a 1ESS AUTOVON switch was installed at the L Main station in Chesterfield.

          I see that Pittsfield disappeared & only Littleton & Chesterfield were shown in early 1970's; was the Pittsfield switch built for Autovon or was it pre-existing & partitioned? & was it NET or LL?
        • taskforceleader
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
            All great questions. Have never been able to find anyone with intimate knowledge of the switch at Pittsfield. Any clues would be appreciated.